Posted to rec.audio.tech
Tiagahsong Tiagahsong is offline

Default SACD & DSD

Hi
SACD and DSD are they the same thing?
Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Allen Corneau Allen Corneau is offline

On 7/6/07 9:35 AM, in article ,
"Tiagahsong" wrote:

Hi
SACD and DSD are they the same thing?

SACD is "Super Audio Compact Disc" and is the physical disc you hold in your
hand.

DSD is "Direct Stream Digital" and is the protocol designed by Sony and
Philips to record and manipulate an audio signal.

You can read about it he
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Stream_Digital

Allen
--
Allen Corneau
Mastering Engineer

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Tiagahsong Tiagahsong is offline

Hi Allen
Thanks for the explanation and providing the link
I suppose SACD players can read DSD cds
What about normal players such as Marantz 63KI , can it benefit from DSD cds
or it reads only PCM

Thanks
Tiagahsong
"Allen Corneau" wrote in message
On 7/6/07 9:35 AM, in article ,
"Tiagahsong" wrote:

Hi
SACD and DSD are they the same thing?

SACD is "Super Audio Compact Disc" and is the physical disc you hold in
your
hand.

DSD is "Direct Stream Digital" and is the protocol designed by Sony and
Philips to record and manipulate an audio signal.

You can read about it he
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Stream_Digital

Allen
--
Allen Corneau
Mastering Engineer
Essential Sound Mastering
www.esmastering.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Kalman Rubinson Kalman Rubinson is offline

On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 12:44:32 +0800, "Tiagahsong"
wrote:

Hi Allen
Thanks for the explanation and providing the link
I suppose SACD players can read DSD cds
What about normal players such as Marantz 63KI , can it benefit from DSD cds
or it reads only PCM

There are no CDs with DSD on them. The ones with such labels have PCM
on them but were originally recorded with DSD.

Kal

"Tiagahsong" wrote:

Hi
SACD and DSD are they the same thing?

SACD is "Super Audio Compact Disc" and is the physical disc you hold in
your
hand.

DSD is "Direct Stream Digital" and is the protocol designed by Sony and
Philips to record and manipulate an audio signal.

You can read about it he
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Stream_Digital

Allen
--
Allen Corneau
Mastering Engineer
Essential Sound Mastering
www.esmastering.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Tiagahsong Tiagahsong is offline

Hi Kal

Thanks for the explanation.
So SACD cds should have two layers, one DSD and one PCM am I right?
Is sampling only done at recording only?
Any sampling during play back?

Thanks
Tiagahsong

"Tiagahsong" wrote:

Hi
SACD and DSD are they the same thing?

SACD is "Super Audio Compact Disc" and is the physical disc you hold in
your
hand.

DSD is "Direct Stream Digital" and is the protocol designed by Sony and
Philips to record and manipulate an audio signal.

You can read about it he
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Stream_Digital

Allen
--
Allen Corneau
Mastering Engineer
Essential Sound Mastering
www.esmastering.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Kalman Rubinson Kalman Rubinson is offline

On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 14:16:58 +0800, "Tiagahsong"
wrote:

Hi Kal

Thanks for the explanation.
So SACD cds should have two layers, one DSD and one PCM am I right?

Yes.

Is sampling only done at recording only?

That sets a limit on the inherent resolution but resampling may be
done in the studio mastering process.

Any sampling during play back?

???

Kal
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Goh Ah Soon Goh Ah Soon is offline

Thanks Kal
My last 2 questions:
??? means no sampling during play back?
D to A and filtering the 44.1kHz?

wrote:

Hi Kal

Thanks for the explanation.
So SACD cds should have two layers, one DSD and one PCM am I right?

Yes.

Is sampling only done at recording only?

That sets a limit on the inherent resolution but resampling may be
done in the studio mastering process.

Any sampling during play back?

???

Kal

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Kalman Rubinson Kalman Rubinson is offline

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 21:31:09 +0800, "Goh Ah Soon"
wrote:

Thanks Kal
My last 2 questions:
??? means no sampling during play back?
D to A and filtering the 44.1kHz?

Well, many/most players will upsample/interpolate 44.1KHz CD data
but I doubt that any upsample DSD. It is either converted to analog
or to PCM.

Kal

Tiagahsong

.. .
wrote:

Hi Kal

Thanks for the explanation.
So SACD cds should have two layers, one DSD and one PCM am I right?

Yes.

Is sampling only done at recording only?

That sets a limit on the inherent resolution but resampling may be
done in the studio mastering process.

Any sampling during play back?

???

Kal

Perhaps this will help SACD..... Harry Lavo High End Audio 23 June 8th 06 04:18 AM
DVD-A vs SACD: is the war over now? andy High End Audio 39 December 27th 04 04:51 PM
SACD Chicken Legs General 2 October 23rd 04 07:51 PM
SACD v. CDR normanstrong High End Audio 9 July 1st 04 11:45 PM