Posted to rec.audio.pro
Here In Oregon Here In Oregon is offline

Default Converter Quality Comparison

I am interested in hearing from anyone that has listened to the Apogee
AD-16X / DA-16X converters verses the Rosetta 800 192K converters, and also
how does the top Apogee D/A contender compare to the Benchmark DAC-1.
Quality is the most important consideration in this comparison and price is
not an issue.

Scott, Mike, others?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Mar 31, 5:01 am, "Here In Oregon" wrote:

Scott, Mike, others?

I don't have any of those. While I might like a nice 2-channel D/A
converter some day, I consider those other converters you're looking
at to be much more than I need for the work I do, so I don't even
bother trying to make any judgments. You need to be talking to guys
like George Massenberg who has enough supporting equipment to really
hear and evaluate the differences, and he doesn't hang out here any
more.

You're really asking to compare units that are very different
functionally but all of which are reported to function very well.
First pick out the one that meets your needs and budget, then decide
if it's good enough for you.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
John L Rice John L Rice is offline

"Here In Oregon" wrote in message
. ..

I am interested in hearing from anyone that has listened to the Apogee
AD-16X / DA-16X converters verses the Rosetta 800 192K converters, and
also how does the top Apogee D/A contender compare to the Benchmark DAC-1.
Quality is the most important consideration in this comparison and price
is not an issue.

You may want to include these converters in your comparison :
Lavry
Mytec
Lynx
Prisim
etc

And do some searches on :
www.gearslutz.com/
www.3daudioinc.com/3db/
etc

Best of luck!

John L Rice

PS - FWIW I use Lavry Blue converters and they are great! ;-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Joy Joy is offline

Thanks Mike, Bob, and John.

I have an opportunity to get the AD-16X and the Benchmark DAC-1 barely used
and less than a year old for a good price.
The Audio Engineer who I flew in on March 20th, knows an Engineer who did an
install for a rich man who never used the equipment and wants to rip
everything out now and build an art studio This just came up last night
when he was talking to him long distance about all of the work we are doing
at my studio preparing for a huge production project. We are totally
redesigning my studio and are acoustically treating all the walls etc. etc.
etc. ad nauseum.

This Engineer will be staying here with us for the duration and I kind of
feel sorry for his family. He has been married 37 years and has two kids in
their twenties still living at home so all is good there and everyone is
having fun here but we are working our #@$^ off. I have worked with him in
a state of the art studio in the past and he takes things to the nth degree
and he really knows his stuff. He suggested I might jump on it because it is
an improvement over what I am currently using. I just wanted more opinions
and I appreciate all that responded. I was at gearslutz before John L.
suggested it and I am wondering where all of the pros over there have gone.

Now regarding rec.audio.pro,....Scott Dorsey better be on vacation.

"John L Rice" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
John L Rice John L Rice is offline

Wow, if it's a really good price I'd say go for it. As you probably know, a
lot of music has been made with those two pieces of gear and you wont suffer
at all by using them too! Unless money is no object and having something a
little different/better is more important than price. ;-)

John

"John L Rice" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tim Padrick Tim Padrick is offline

"John L Rice" wrote in message
[...]

And: http://www.dcsltd.co.uk/index2.html

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Here In Oregon Here In Oregon is offline

Thanks John,

I agree with you. Sorry if there was any confusion on my last posting. Joy
is an associate here and we have three networked computers with a T3
internet connection and I posted in her office because of the chaos
currently going on here.

Take care and I appreciate your input.

HIO out

"John L Rice" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Apr 1, 12:15 am, "Joy" wrote:

I have an opportunity to get the AD-16X and the Benchmark DAC-1 barely used
and less than a year old for a good price.
The Audio Engineer who I flew in on March 20th, knows an Engineer who did an
install for a rich man who never used the equipment and wants to rip
everything out now and build an art studio This just came up last night

Not many of us have such a stroke of luck. In fact, not many engineers
get flown in to redesign a studio for a huge project (I assume he's
been paid). If this is a money-making project or you otherwise have
plenty of money, there's no reason not to take advantage of a good
deal on quality gear that you'll be needing anyway. While you can buy
better quality, few projects that start with building a studio
actually require better quality. This is good stuff that won't make
you wish you had better, and it will keep its value so when you do
feel the need to upgrade, you'll be able to recover most of the cost
to put toward something better.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Here In Oregon Here In Oregon is offline

Thanks Sir Mike! He is being paid on a weekly basis with all expenses,
flight, lodging, gourmet food, etc. I even paid him for some upfront
consultation fees by sending him pictures of my room and he AutoCAD some
designs for acoustic treatment for some of the walls among other things.
Again,... we have worked on several projects in the past in another studio
and had wonderful results.

I had a nice room to begin but he has improved it and now most all of my
gear has been moved and the walls are almost finished.
Of course we have been doing a myriad of other things as well. Many 4
o'clock in the morning nights. Ugghh! Well that didn't make any sense. I
just woke up

ups.com...