Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron Capik Ron Capik is offline

Default Soundcraft MH3 EQ question...

Hi

I have a Soundcraft MH-3 in my venue and am having
trouble working with the channel sweepable low EQ.
Seems the filter is designed to cut [boost] at the frequency
noted on the knob but it also boosts [cuts] the same
amount one octave above. I can't seem to anticipate
the effect this control will have on the mix.

Can anyone provide a clue or two to help me anticipate.

[OK, this is a live sound application and maybe I need to
re-post to the live sound group... ]

Later...

Ron Capik

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Mar 30, 5:10 pm, Ron Capik wrote:

Seems the filter is designed to cut [boost] at the frequency
noted on the knob but it also boosts [cuts] the same
amount one octave above.

You mean it has two peaks or dips when you turn the gain off zero?
That sounds broken to me, unless it's a shelving equalizer and the
shelf isn't very smooth. Are all the channels like that? Or do you
only know about the channel that's on the bass or kick drum?

Seems like it would be worth sweeping a tone through it and plotting
the response to see what it's really doing. Maybe if it's actually
doing something sensible it would make more sense to you if you saw
the frequency response plot. And if it's doing something nonsensible,
you could at least compare channels.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:

On Mar 30, 5:10 pm, Ron Capik wrote:

Seems the filter is designed to cut [boost] at the frequency
noted on the knob but it also boosts [cuts] the same
amount one octave above.

You mean it has two peaks or dips when you turn the gain off zero?
That sounds broken to me, unless it's a shelving equalizer and the
shelf isn't very smooth. Are all the channels like that? Or do you
only know about the channel that's on the bass or kick drum?

Seems like it would be worth sweeping a tone through it and plotting
the response to see what it's really doing. Maybe if it's actually
doing something sensible it would make more sense to you if you saw
the frequency response plot. And if it's doing something nonsensible,
you could at least compare channels.

It has a dip and a peak [or peak and dip] and the plots in the manual
seem to show the same thing, so it seems it was designed that way.
All channels do the same thing. I ran a response plot and got a dip
and a peak; a ~10dB cut at 250Hz also produced a ~4dB boost at 500Hz.
The high shelf and low shelf work as expected, as well as the low-mid
and hi-mid.
I first noticed the unexpected behavior when attempting to tame a boomie
guitar. Seems the more I cut the boomier it got.

Later...

Ron Capik