Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default NY

It's the next decade here already. All the best for everybody everywhere
for 2020.

cheers

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Wed, 1 Jan 2020 01:36:01 +1300, geoff
wrote:

It's the next decade here already. All the best for everybody everywhere
for 2020.

cheers

geoff

You're a year early. AD decades began with year 1.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12/31/2019 8:57 AM, Don Pearce wrote:
You're a year early. AD decades began with year 1.

"Scholars differ on this issue." And, besides, some of us can't wait
for this decade to be over.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 09:06:32 -0500, Mike Rivers
wrote:

On 12/31/2019 8:57 AM, Don Pearce wrote:
You're a year early. AD decades began with year 1.

"Scholars differ on this issue." And, besides, some of us can't wait
for this decade to be over.

If any scholar can come up with a year zero I will change my mind.
You're dead right about wanting this one to be over though.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

wrote:

It's the next decade here already. All the best for everybody everywhere
for 2020.

cheers

geoff

You're a year early. AD decades began with year 1.

We had the same problem at the turn of the century.
After all was said and done, we (as a people) just decided that
the real excitement was in seeing three zeros in the year number.
Nothing else mattered.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12/31/2019 8:57 AM, Don Pearce wrote:
You're a year early. AD decades began with year 1.

I'm afraid you're just going to have to accept mass media's version of
this, right or wrong. The Washington Post says this is the start of a
new decade, as does National Public Radio, and even the MIDI
Manufacturer's Association.

You just can't fight social hall, but start campaigning early for the
next decade beginning in 2031.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 21:19:04 -0500, Mike Rivers
wrote:

On 12/31/2019 8:57 AM, Don Pearce wrote:
You're a year early. AD decades began with year 1.

I'm afraid you're just going to have to accept mass media's version of
this, right or wrong. The Washington Post says this is the start of a
new decade, as does National Public Radio, and even the MIDI
Manufacturer's Association.

You just can't fight social hall, but start campaigning early for the
next decade beginning in 2031.

I fear the 2031 event will be someone else's problem.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

On 12/31/19 6:19 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 12/31/2019 8:57 AM, Don Pearce wrote:
You're a year early. AD decades began with year 1.

I'm afraid you're just going to have to accept mass media's version
of this, right or wrong. The Washington Post says this is the start
of a new decade, as does National Public Radio, and even the MIDI
Manufacturer's Association.

You just can't fight social hall, but start campaigning early for the
next decade beginning in 2031.

We also group decades by saying the 20's, 30's.. I'd hate to have to
remember that a song written in 1960 was really part of the 50's.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Tobiah wrote:

We also group decades by saying the 20's, 30's.. I'd hate to have to
remember that a song written in 1960 was really part of the 50's.

That's alright. There's always what I term 'decade lag' - the tendency for cultural
styles(in attire, music, industrial design - automotive, etc.). IE: a lot of popular
songs as late as 1962 still had a late-fifties style/tone to it.

Bell bottoms did not completely depart along with the Hostage Crisis of 1980.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 09:41:33 -0800, Tobiah wrote:

On 12/31/19 6:19 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 12/31/2019 8:57 AM, Don Pearce wrote:
You're a year early. AD decades began with year 1.

I'm afraid you're just going to have to accept mass media's version
of this, right or wrong. The Washington Post says this is the start
of a new decade, as does National Public Radio, and even the MIDI
Manufacturer's Association.

You just can't fight social hall, but start campaigning early for the
next decade beginning in 2031.

We also group decades by saying the 20's, 30's.. I'd hate to have to
remember that a song written in 1960 was really part of the 50's.

Well, the sixties didn't begin until 1963. Before that it was
definitely still the fifties. Culture is not beholden to numbers.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 3/01/2020 4:41 am, Tobiah wrote:
On 12/31/19 6:19 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 12/31/2019 8:57 AM, Don Pearce wrote:
You're a year early. AD decades began with year 1.

Each decade (or any time period) begins any time you choose it to! You
do realise the calendar has changed more than once since then?

I'm afraid you're just going to have to accept mass media's version
of this, right or wrong. The Washington Post says this is the start
of a new decade, as does National Public Radio, and even the MIDI
Manufacturer's Association.

You just can't fight social hall, but start campaigning early for the
next decade beginning in 2031.

We also group decades by saying the 20's, 30's..Â* I'd hate to have to
remember that a song written in 1960 was really part of the 50's.

Any mathematician will tell you numbers begin at zero, NOT end at zero.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

We also group decades by saying the 20's, 30's.. I'd hate to have to
remember that a song written in 1960 was really part of the 50's.

Any mathematician will tell you numbers begin at zero, NOT end at zero.

As a programmer, I'm a subscriber to that view. So 1960 was the zeroth
year of the 60's The 60's was a decade that began Jan 1st 1960, and
ended just before Jan 1st 1970. The birth of Jesus has nothing to do
with it. No one said that we are starting the 202nd decade since then.
It's that we are starting a new decade that if of note to many people.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Wed, 8 Jan 2020 08:55:04 -0800, Tobiah wrote:

We also group decades by saying the 20's, 30's.. I'd hate to have to
remember that a song written in 1960 was really part of the 50's.

Any mathematician will tell you numbers begin at zero, NOT end at zero.

As a programmer, I'm a subscriber to that view. So 1960 was the zeroth
year of the 60's The 60's was a decade that began Jan 1st 1960, and
ended just before Jan 1st 1970. The birth of Jesus has nothing to do
with it. No one said that we are starting the 202nd decade since then.
It's that we are starting a new decade that if of note to many people.

So what was the first year of the first decade in our current CE
reckoning? No need to bring mythical figures into it - straight
question.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

So what was the first year of the first decade in our current CE
reckoning? No need to bring mythical figures into it - straight
question.

The first year was year 1, making the first decade span the years
1 through 10, the second decade starting at year 11. Or is there
a trick to your question?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Thu, 9 Jan 2020 08:46:26 -0800, Tobiah wrote:

So what was the first year of the first decade in our current CE
reckoning? No need to bring mythical figures into it - straight
question.

The first year was year 1, making the first decade span the years
1 through 10, the second decade starting at year 11. Or is there
a trick to your question?

No trick. You make my point perfectly. Decades start on the year that
ends in a 1, not a 0.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
The first year was year 1, making the first decade span the years
1 through 10, the second decade starting at year 11. Or is there
a trick to your question?

No trick. You make my point perfectly. Decades start on the year that
ends in a 1, not a 0.

The decade of the 2020's began in January, 2020. The 2020's are a decade.
That's the decade people mean when they refer to the decade that began
recently. There is also some ordinally-numbered decade that begins in 2021.
Nobody really cares about ordinally-numbered decades of the modern era.

The modern (aka Christian) era has a number line of years that is full of
anomalies and inconsistencies. It began in the years numbered in the several
hundreds, based on back-calculating from an origin that was arbitrary and
miscalculated. The rules regarding leap years have changed multiple times.
The timeline has been spliced and hacked multiple to accommodate errors and
anomalies. The date of the year's beginning has shifted. And in most usage,
it has no "year zero" (although many astronomers do use a year zero).

For these and other reasons, the reckoning of ordinally-numbered decades (or
centuries) seems to be of use only for pedantic posturing. These pedant's
decades have little use in the real world, where decades are much more
likely to be reckoned as beginning from years with numbers ending in zero.
The 2020's just began earlier this month. That's a decade. The "203rd decade
of the modern era" is a decade that nobody cares about.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 9/01/2020 6:11 am, Don Pearce wrote:
On Wed, 8 Jan 2020 08:55:04 -0800, Tobiah wrote:

We also group decades by saying the 20's, 30's.. I'd hate to have to
remember that a song written in 1960 was really part of the 50's.

Any mathematician will tell you numbers begin at zero, NOT end at zero.

As a programmer, I'm a subscriber to that view. So 1960 was the zeroth
year of the 60's The 60's was a decade that began Jan 1st 1960, and
ended just before Jan 1st 1970. The birth of Jesus has nothing to do
with it. No one said that we are starting the 202nd decade since then.
It's that we are starting a new decade that if of note to many people.

So what was the first year of the first decade in our current CE
reckoning? No need to bring mythical figures into it - straight
question.

Friday, 15 October 1582 for the Gregorian Calendar!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jason[_15_] Jason[_15_] is offline

In article , says...

Friday, 15 October 1582 for the Gregorian Calendar!

Speaking of which... Years ago, at IBM, I saw a presentation by
a programmer there, Bruce Ohms, who devised a system for computing
the number of days between dates.

From Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilian_date

"Lilian dates can be used to calculate the number of days between any
two dates occurring since the beginning of the Gregorian calendar. It is
currently used by date conversion routines that are part of IBM Language
Environment (LE) software."

This is a pretty big deal for some computations involving financial
instruments that date back hundreds of years.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Thu, 9 Jan 2020 14:27:11 -0500, "None" wrote:

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
[...]

I've just been listening to More or Less, a BBC programme about
numbers, statistics and general misconception. They had an article
about exactly this question. They had a statement from The Royal
Observatory in Greenwich, the official home of time on Earth. The
message stated unequivocally that millennia, centuries and decades
start on the year ending in a one.

End of discussion.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 1/10/2020 12:00 PM, Don Pearce wrote:
End of discussion.

For you, maybe. Others will be discussing this for the next 50 years.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/01/2020 17:00, Don Pearce wrote:

I've just been listening to More or Less, a BBC programme about
numbers, statistics and general misconception. They had an article
about exactly this question. They had a statement from The Royal
Observatory in Greenwich, the official home of time on Earth. The
message stated unequivocally that millennia, centuries and decades
start on the year ending in a one.

End of discussion.

If you listen to the excerpt that is on line from the ten year old
programme they mentioned in this show, they admit there are two sides to
the story, and either is acceptable. Imagine that 1940 was in the 1930s,
for instance....

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

"Don Pearce" wrote in message

They had a statement from The Royal
Observatory in Greenwich, the official home of time on Earth. The
message stated unequivocally that millennia, centuries and decades
start on the year ending in a one.

End of ...

There are decades beginning all the time. The decade of the 2020's is indeed
a decade, and it's a decade that is widely recognized, worldwide. The Royal
Observatory's sweeping claim can only apply to millennia, centuries, and
decades that start on the year ending in one. There are many other kinds of
millennia, centuries, and decades in use, which are relevant and useful in
various reckonings.

If the Royal Observatory supposes that the decade of the 2020's is not a
decade, the Royal Observatory is a ass -- a idiot.

The official keeper of time on earth, International Atomic Time, is the
International Bureau of Weights and Measures in France. The Royal
Observatory in Greenwich is one of many important participants in that
effort.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Trevor wrote:
On 3/01/2020 4:41 am, Tobiah wrote:
On 12/31/19 6:19 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 12/31/2019 8:57 AM, Don Pearce wrote:
You're a year early. AD decades began with year 1.

Each decade (or any time period) begins any time you choose it to! You
do realise the calendar has changed more than once since then?

I'm afraid you're just going to have to accept mass media's version
of this, right or wrong. The Washington Post says this is the start
of a new decade, as does National Public Radio, and even the MIDI
Manufacturer's Association.

You just can't fight social hall, but start campaigning early for the
next decade beginning in 2031.

We also group decades by saying the 20's, 30's..Â* I'd hate to have to
remember that a song written in 1960 was really part of the 50's.

Any mathematician will tell you numbers begin at zero, NOT end at zero.

The mathematicians had a nasty habit of numbering inductive sets ending
in ALEPH_0 starting with 1. There's a chronic fear of zero in the world.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Don Pearce wrote:
On Wed, 8 Jan 2020 08:55:04 -0800, Tobiah wrote:

We also group decades by saying the 20's, 30's.. I'd hate to have to
remember that a song written in 1960 was really part of the 50's.

Any mathematician will tell you numbers begin at zero, NOT end at zero.

As a programmer, I'm a subscriber to that view. So 1960 was the zeroth
year of the 60's The 60's was a decade that began Jan 1st 1960, and
ended just before Jan 1st 1970. The birth of Jesus has nothing to do
with it. No one said that we are starting the 202nd decade since then.
It's that we are starting a new decade that if of note to many people.

So what was the first year of the first decade in our current CE
reckoning? No need to bring mythical figures into it - straight
question.

It was Roman, so no zero. One.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bart Candlewick[_3_] Bart Candlewick[_3_] is offline

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
[...]

From Wikipedia: A decade is a period of 10 years. The word is derived
(via French and Latin) from the Ancient Greek: δεκάς, romanized: dekas,
which means a group of ten. Decades may describe any ten year period,
such as those of a person's life, or refer to specific groupings of
calendar years.

And: The 0s cover the first nine years of the Anno Domini era, which
began on January 1st, 1 AD and ended on December 31st, 9 AD. It is one
of the two cardinal timespans that contain 9 years, but is not
considered a decade [Y0, 1 AD).

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Trevor wrote:
On 9/01/2020 6:11 am, Don Pearce wrote:
On Wed, 8 Jan 2020 08:55:04 -0800, Tobiah wrote:

We also group decades by saying the 20's, 30's..Â* I'd hate to have to
remember that a song written in 1960 was really part of the 50's.

Any mathematician will tell you numbers begin at zero, NOT end at zero.

As a programmer, I'm a subscriber to that view.Â* So 1960 was the zeroth
year of the 60's Â* The 60's was a decade that began Jan 1st 1960, and
ended just before Jan 1st 1970.Â* The birth of Jesus has nothing to do
with it.Â* No one said that we are starting the 202nd decade since then.
It's that we are starting a new decade that if of note to many people.

So what was the first year of the first decade in our current CE
reckoning? No need to bring mythical figures into it - straight
question.

Friday, 15 October 1582 for the Gregorian Calendar!

Meh. They went broke.

https://kfor.com/2018/12/05/8-millio...bby-finalized/

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Jason wrote:
In article , says...

Friday, 15 October 1582 for the Gregorian Calendar!

Speaking of which... Years ago, at IBM, I saw a presentation by
a programmer there, Bruce Ohms, who devised a system for computing
the number of days between dates.

From Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilian_date

"Lilian dates can be used to calculate the number of days between any
two dates occurring since the beginning of the Gregorian calendar. It is
currently used by date conversion routines that are part of IBM Language
Environment (LE) software."

This is a pretty big deal for some computations involving financial
instruments that date back hundreds of years.

It is; one of the things I did in my first job was wrestle with this.

It's a big job, but it's eminently doable. I had fun with it.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
[...]

Statistical conciseness aside surely only the most pedantic would argue
that the year 2020 was not part of the decade known as the (20)20s ?

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Fri, 10 Jan 2020 21:16:45 +0000, John Williamson
wrote:

On 10/01/2020 17:00, Don Pearce wrote:

I've just been listening to More or Less, a BBC programme about
numbers, statistics and general misconception. They had an article
about exactly this question. They had a statement from The Royal
Observatory in Greenwich, the official home of time on Earth. The
message stated unequivocally that millennia, centuries and decades
start on the year ending in a one.

End of discussion.

If you listen to the excerpt that is on line from the ten year old
programme they mentioned in this show, they admit there are two sides to
the story, and either is acceptable. Imagine that 1940 was in the 1930s,
for instance....

He didn't really. He just acknowledged that the other side existed.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

John Williamson wrote:
On 10/01/2020 17:00, Don Pearce wrote:

I've just been listening to More or Less, a BBC programme about
numbers, statistics and general misconception. They had an article
about exactly this question. They had a statement from The Royal
Observatory in Greenwich, the official home of time on Earth. The
message stated unequivocally that millennia, centuries and decades
start on the year ending in a one.

End of discussion.

If you listen to the excerpt that is on line from the ten year old
programme they mentioned in this show, they admit there are two sides to
the story, and either is acceptable. Imagine that 1940 was in the 1930s,
for instance....

What do they know at Greenwich? The official prime meridian for time
reference should be Paris, and it's only the fault of that damned Wellington
that anyone has accepted the Greenwich reference.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chuck[_11_] Chuck[_11_] is offline

On Fri, 10 Jan 2020 22:47:23 -0600, Les Cargill
wrote:

Trevor wrote:
[...]

That's too bad. I saw the most amazing collection of gold jewelry
owned by the Catholic Church there about 20 years ago.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Peter Irwin Peter Irwin is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:

What do they know at Greenwich? The official prime meridian for time
reference should be Paris, and it's only the fault of that damned Wellington
that anyone has accepted the Greenwich reference.
--scott

I think it had a lot more to do with the extreme usefulness of The
Nautical Almanac.

Peter.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 11/01/2020 4:00 am, Don Pearce wrote:

I've just been listening to More or Less, a BBC programme about
numbers, statistics and general misconception. They had an article
about exactly this question. They had a statement from The Royal
Observatory in Greenwich, the official home of time on Earth. The
message stated unequivocally that millennia, centuries and decades
start on the year ending in a one.

End of discussion.

There is no such thing as end of discussion when people are all talking
about different concepts, and that's before you even start arguing
linguistic definitions which is the cause of more internet arguments
that anything as far as I have seen.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

So what was the first year of the first decade in our current CE
reckoning? No need to bring mythical figures into it - straight
question.

The first year was year 1, making the first decade span the years
1 through 10, the second decade starting at year 11. Or is there
a trick to your question?

No trick. You make my point perfectly. Decades start on the year that
ends in a 1, not a 0.

So when I was 10 years old, I had not lived a decade, because
"Decades start on the year that ends in a 1" whereas
my first decade started with a year that ended in 6.

I'm just saying that when someone refers to the 50's say, it's
as arbitrary as saying "the evens". It's a description that
we can use to group some of the past years together so we can
easily agree on which ones we're talking about.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 13:28:05 -0800, Tobiah wrote:

So what was the first year of the first decade in our current CE
reckoning? No need to bring mythical figures into it - straight
question.

The first year was year 1, making the first decade span the years
1 through 10, the second decade starting at year 11. Or is there
a trick to your question?

No trick. You make my point perfectly. Decades start on the year that
ends in a 1, not a 0.

So when I was 10 years old, I had not lived a decade, because
"Decades start on the year that ends in a 1" whereas
my first decade started with a year that ended in 6.

I'm just saying that when someone refers to the 50's say, it's
as arbitrary as saying "the evens". It's a description that
we can use to group some of the past years together so we can
easily agree on which ones we're talking about.

I blame the schools lousy maths skills. When you were ten years old
you had lived a decade. Just you were one year old you had lived a
year.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gregory Allen Gregory Allen is offline

On Tuesday, December 31, 2019 at 12:36:09 PM UTC, geoff wrote:
It's the next decade here already. All the best for everybody everywhere
for 2020.

cheers

geoff

Back in the day this was a pro audio newsgroup
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 05:49:21 -0800 (PST), Gregory Allen
wrote:

On Tuesday, December 31, 2019 at 12:36:09 PM UTC, geoff wrote:
It's the next decade here already. All the best for everybody everywhere
for 2020.

cheers

geoff

Back in the day this was a pro audio newsgroup

Were it not for off-topic, this group would have closed. Don't knock
it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

On Tuesday, December 31, 2019 at 12:36:09 PM UTC, geoff wrote:
It's the next decade here already. All the best for everybody everywhere
for 2020.

cheers

geoff

Back in the day this was a pro audio newsgroup

Were it not for off-topic, this group would have closed. Don't knock
it.

I'm just poking his badger