Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Interesting Bit from Audio Precision Regarding Headphones

JackA wrote:

I say both you and Trevor have never experience an out of phase condition and you're both guessing you can detect it with something you never heard before with headphones.

Please don't call it "out of phase" when you mean "out of polarity."

If you listen to a recording on headphones with the polarity swapped, sounds
in the center, instead of imaging to the center at all, sound like they are
directly on either side of the your head. It is, as I said, not a subtle
effect.

It turns out that this actually improves vocal intelligibility; communication
headsets for pilots and radio operators are frequently wired with reversed
polarity.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 8:00:52 AM UTC-5, Scott Dorsey wrote:
JackA wrote:

I say both you and Trevor have never experience an out of phase condition and you're both guessing you can detect it with something you never heard before with headphones.

Please don't call it "out of phase" when you mean "out of polarity."

I stand corrected! Thank you!

If you listen to a recording on headphones with the polarity swapped, sounds
in the center, instead of imaging to the center at all, sound like they are
directly on either side of the your head. It is, as I said, not a subtle
effect.

My point is, if you never heard the [polarity swapped] song before, how would you even know? I stumbled across it.

It turns out that this actually improves vocal intelligibility; communication
headsets for pilots and radio operators are frequently wired with reversed
polarity.

Okay!!

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Gray_Wolf wrote:

On Sun, 15 Feb 2015 20:15:26 -0800 (PST), JackA
wrote:

Even though it's subtle, I can generally hear tape hiss noise better with
speakers. But I'm strictly talking computer audio; i.e. two different
monsters.

Jack

Tape hiss on a computer? How did that happen? Is wow and flutter a
problem too?

It's the marbles. They rattle around. Some folks say the litle ones
sound like tape hiss.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:

On 16/02/2015 5:15 p.m., JackA wrote:

Even though it's subtle, I can generally hear tape hiss noise better
with speakers. But I'm strictly talking computer audio; i.e. two
different monsters.

???!!!

geoff

"computer audio"

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
YouTube.Com/WalkinayMusic
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

JackA wrote:

On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 1:47:04 AM UTC-5, John Williamson wrote:
On 16/02/2015 00:54, JackA wrote:
On Friday, February 13, 2015 at 11:26:11 PM UTC-5, Trevor wrote:
On 13/02/2015 2:35 AM, JackA wrote:
Why I always suggest, after mastering, you listen to any alterations
through speakers, because it's difficult to detect phasing issues
with headphones!!

You are kidding right? I find it far easier to detect phasing issues
with headphones, and always listen to mixes with both headphones and
speakers anyway.
I'm talking stereo channels being out of phase. I'm not kidding, I'm

dead serious. If you have problems detecting out of phase channels
with headphones,
you really need to practice more.

With so many people listening to more of their music on headphones
than speakers these days, it amazes me that some mixing/mastering
engineers still don't. Watching TV shows and movies late at night
with headphones though makes me realise the problem is even worse
there as they apparently still don't expect people to ever listen via
headphones. :-(

I enjoy mixing with headphones, but I always check any mixing with
Ispeakers. 'm not your ordinary mastering engineer!! :-)

After listening to some of your mixes, you got that right.

You only wish you were 1/4 a good as I am!!!

Most of us have 1/4" plugs that mix better than you do

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
YouTube.Com/WalkinayMusic

Posted to rec.audio.pro

JackA wrote:

If you listen to a recording on headphones with the polarity swapped, sounds
in the center, instead of imaging to the center at all, sound like they are
directly on either side of the your head. It is, as I said, not a subtle
effect.

My point is, if you never heard the [polarity swapped] song before, how would you even know? I stumbled across it.

Because the vocal is coming from the sides and not from the center. It is
very obvious (and makes LP cutting damn near impossible).

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Luxey Luxey is offline

понедељак, 16. фебруар 2015. 18.07.14 UTC+1, hank alrich је написао/ла:

You only wish you were 1/4 a good as I am!!!

Most of us have 1/4" plugs that mix better than you do

He, he, good one. LOL!