Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tim Sprout Tim Sprout is offline

Default The band wants more vox reverb in the mixdown

I record my band through an XY pair of room mics that record the room
sound running instrument amps, vox, and eDrums through a PA . I also use
close mics on instrument amps and vox, and add triggered drum samples
post process using midi. Vox is recorded dry, no reverb is going to
track except on electric guitar through a pedal.

Through a mixture of bussing everything but the mono vox tracks to Bus A
and cutting 2 kHz on Bus A to carve space for the vox, adding a Waves
Jack Joesph Puig Male vocal plugin, tweaking the studio reverb effect
pre-delay to fit the smallish LEDE room, doubling the mono vox track and
panning hard right and left, I have reached a mix I am satisfied with as
far as where the vox sits in the mix. Reverb is subtle on the vox, can
only hear the vox reverb on the louder words when soloing the vox clips.

The band wants more reverb on the vox, but whatever I do to try to add
longer tails to the vox clips doesn't work.

I told the band this is the baseline I have developed to work with, and
they may just have to accept that currently this is the best I can do in
this situation, but that I would keep experimenting. These ain't no
commercial recordings. I post the stereo mixdowns on Soundcloud so we
can listen to and learn the tunes outside of rehearsal and share with
friends.

Any suggestions on tweaking vox reverb to satisfy those that want more
reverb?

I haven't tried adding reverb to the Master Bus, or any other individual
channels.

Tim Sprout

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Luxey Luxey is offline

Maybe if you gave us the link? And yes, you could try adding a little bit to vox only and a little bit to the whole mix. Since the time is not a factor, you caan play arround with it as long as you find it usefull.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Tim Sprout wrote:

Any suggestions on tweaking vox reverb to satisfy those that want more
reverb?

Tighten the tails such that they very closely follow the envelope of the
vocal. You will avoid sounding like you're in a tunnel or stadium, but a
little halo of reverb will ride on every word. This can do wonders for
nasal/thin/poor/insecure voices, and/or for the egos of vocalists
listening back to themselves and freaking at the way they really sound.

You can lay it on thick but it won't hang around after the party. The
old Ensoniq DP4 had a preset that did this marvelously.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2/7/2015 1:27 PM, Luxey wrote:
Maybe if you gave us the link? And yes, you could try adding a little
bit to vox only and a little bit to the whole mix. Since the time is
not a factor, you caan play arround with it as long as you find it
usefull.

https://soundcloud.com/timsprout/sets/reflection

Tim Spout

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Saturday, February 7, 2015 at 6:19:28 PM UTC-5, Tim Sprout wrote:
On 2/7/2015 1:27 PM, Luxey wrote:
Maybe if you gave us the link? And yes, you could try adding a little
bit to vox only and a little bit to the whole mix. Since the time is
not a factor, you caan play arround with it as long as you find it
usefull.

https://soundcloud.com/timsprout/sets/reflection

Tim Spout

OMG I hear Stereo! Print it!! :-)

To be honest, it does sound a bit thin, don't think messing with the drummer's track is going to change much. I'd like to hear more bass following YOUR? vocals.

Jack

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ralph Barone[_2_] Ralph Barone[_2_] is offline

Tim Sprout wrote:
On 2/7/2015 1:27 PM, Luxey wrote:
Maybe if you gave us the link? And yes, you could try adding a little
bit to vox only and a little bit to the whole mix. Since the time is
not a factor, you caan play arround with it as long as you find it
usefull.

https://soundcloud.com/timsprout/sets/reflection

Tim Spout

Please forgive me for being critical, but I think the vox might be better
served with AutoTune than with reverb.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Luxey Luxey is offline

I asked for the link, listened to couple of clips, then forgot about the topic,
sorry.
I would not go autotune way. Recording has a nice live vibe, so why ruin it?
Half bad note here and thee,... many people can live with it.

Mix could be different, like vocals and cymbals lower in level, hi hat closer to
center and such stuff. All of course for my taste and preference, it's likely
more people would prefer it the way you did it than what I'm suggesting.

For the mix as it is and dealing with vocals ...
I think they asked for reverb to make it less present. If you don't want to
remix you can try EQ cutting some Hi Mid freqs, anywhere from 1.5k to 8k, but
closer to 5k, IMO. It will make vocals softer, which I think your mates are
looking for, as well as will tame hi-hat and cymbals.

Again, this from memory of listening to it couple of days ago.