Posted to rec.audio.pro
Luxey Luxey is offline

Default Generic MIDI Controler for VST plug ins

Is it possible to Preasign buttons and faders of generic midi controler so not to have to Reasign them each time I change plug in.
To have 8 faders of my control surface take over first 8 available parameters, of whatever plug in I insert into a certain location?

Now, it's not so. I have to asssign faders to parameters per plug in. If I change plug in at location (example: insert slot on a channel), I have to reasign faders to new set of parameters. I'd rather move faders to see what they are controling, than to do what I curently do, going learn/assign proceddure for each time I change a plug in.

Hope I made some sense.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Luxey Luxey is offline

Apparently, what I look for is called Automaping and is available for
Novation gear, by means of some kind of VST wrapper. I doubt it'll work with 3rd party gear.
There are couple of freeware hosts and wrappers, too. I doubt those work at
all, in automaping sense, but will try.

However, above's not elegant enough.

Are more expensive units capable of what I look for, I select channel,
or plug-in, and available parameters come under controll of my hardware, without wrappers and stuff.
Anyway, sofisticated hardware is not real solution. Solution has to
be within DAW. DAW must provide functionality.

I found out Reaper is addressing the issue. Seams it's implemented by
manualy writing codes and comands. Well, nothing wrong with that, audio
engineering of 21st Century. In the past studio people used to solder and
connect cables, now they write commands and codes.
If I could only dig Reaper's user interface. Being, partly, from the old school, I prefer virtual studio looks and ergonomy. Anyway, I have Reaper installed, so will give it a try, once.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

If I could only dig Reaper's user interface. Being, partly, from the
old school, I prefer virtual studio looks and ergonomy. Anyway, I
have Reaper installed, so will give it a try, once.

Stay with it a while. There is a lot of good under the hood.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"Tobiah" wrote in message
If I could only dig Reaper's user interface. Being, partly, from the
old school, I prefer virtual studio looks and ergonomy. Anyway, I
have Reaper installed, so will give it a try, once.

Stay with it a while. There is a lot of good under the hood.

And use the mixer view!

Poly

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Luxey Luxey is offline

@ Tobiah: I'll try. Just discovered ther's a function I was looking for. I can assign first 16 available parameters to 16 CCs, CCs learned from/generated by MIDI general hardware. Whatever is in the place, first 16 parameters are assigned to same 16 CCs... Great!

@Ploy: unfortunately, I can't say it's not ugly, that mixer view.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

@Ploy: unfortunately, I can't say it's not ugly, that mixer view.

Are we talking about the same program? I'm using Reaper v4.22 with
the theme labeled 'default'. The others are definitely more ugly
but the default is bloody handsome in my estimation.

http://tobiah.org/reaper.png
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Luxey Luxey is offline

On Thursday, 19 April 2012 03:46:42 UTC+2, Tobiah wrote:
@Ploy: unfortunately, I can't say it's not ugly, that mixer view.

Are we talking about the same program? I'm using Reaper v4.22 with
the theme labeled 'default'. The others are definitely more ugly
but the default is bloody handsome in my estimation.

http://tobiah.org/reaper.png

Probpably not. I'm currently not on Reapered comp, so can't tell about version, but it's at least 1 year old. I downloaded it for evaluation and never really gave it a chance. Now it's reminding me evaluation period's expired, but well, I haven't spend more than couple of hours with it, so guess they won't mind.
I remember the price was good, company politics seamed more than reasonable..
However, it felt "computerish", while I like it "studioish".
I'll try to download most recent version and see what's new.