Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

Default Good Literature

Many fine books on audio are now in the public domain and may be
freely downloaded. These do include the classic "Radiotron Designers
handbook" as well as DIY books from several good publishers such as
Howard Sams.

Others are not. The best example of an old book no longer available is
the "Audio Cyclopedia" by Tremaine. Many other desireable titles such
as almost everything by Terman had their copyrights renewed and the
owners want big money so they are out of print. Alfred P Morgan's
excellent kid's books are likewise so encumbered.

Newer books particularly interesting are legion.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Apr 28, 6:12*am, Bret L wrote:
*Many fine books on audio are now in the public domain and may be
freely downloaded. These do include the classic "Radiotron Designers
handbook" as well as DIY books from several good publishers such as
Howard Sams.

Others are not. The best example of an old book no longer available is
the "Audio Cyclopedia" by Tremaine. Many other desireable titles such
as almost everything by Terman had their copyrights renewed and the
owners want big money so they are out of print. Alfred P Morgan's
excellent kid's books are likewise so encumbered.

*Newer books particularly interesting are legion.

Um, stoopid? These do not qulaify as "literature".

Speaking of good literature, who is your favorite author? (Other than
those you incessantly cut-and-paste to make up for your lack of
original thoughts, that is.)
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Apr 28, 6:12*am, Bret L wrote:
*Many fine books on audio are now in the public domain and may be
freely downloaded. These do include the classic "Radiotron Designers
handbook" as well as DIY books from several good publishers such as
Howard Sams.

Others are not. The best example of an old book no longer available is
the "Audio Cyclopedia" by Tremaine. Many other desireable titles such
as almost everything by Terman had their copyrights renewed and the
owners want big money so they are out of print. Alfred P Morgan's
excellent kid's books are likewise so encumbered.

*Newer books particularly interesting are legion.

What a misleading thread title. Idiot.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Apr 28, 6:37*am, "Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!"
wrote:
On Apr 28, 6:12*am, Bret L wrote:

*Many fine books on audio are now in the public domain and may be
freely downloaded. These do include the classic "Radiotron Designers
handbook" as well as DIY books from several good publishers such as
Howard Sams.

Others are not. The best example of an old book no longer available is
the "Audio Cyclopedia" by Tremaine. Many other desireable titles such
as almost everything by Terman had their copyrights renewed and the
owners want big money so they are out of print. Alfred P Morgan's
excellent kid's books are likewise so encumbered.

*Newer books particularly interesting are legion.

Um, stoopid? These do not qulaify as "literature".

Speaking of good literature, who is your favorite author? (Other than
those you incessantly cut-and-paste to make up for your lack of
original thoughts, that is.)

My woman's been giving me plenty of modern vampire fiction to read
lately. I started off with Charlaine Harris because "True Blood" on
HBO is pretty fun. Robin McKinley is next. I have to admit that I'm
bothered by some of their shortcomings as writers (such as using
unrealistic dialogue as a method for explaining plot details), but
it's also fun to go slumming once in a while. After all, these women
are making a lot more money at fiction than I am right now.

My nephew also gave me Stephen King's Insomnia to read. I haven't read
King since I wasted a summer reading It (1200 pages, and it's a
****ing giant spider???), but he influenced me back in my younger
days. It's like going back and visiting your high school teachers.

After these dalliances, I'm off to explore Cormac McCarthy in greater
detail. I've read The Road, Suttree and All The Pretty Horses, so I
think I'm going to pick up Blood Meridian next.

I'm wondering if the only reason people like Bret and Scott don't read
is because it cuts into their Internet time.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:
On Apr 28, 6:12*am, Bret L wrote:

[...]

I read "No Country For Old Men" last fall. I found the style he used
in that book distracting.

I'm wondering if the only reason people like Bret and Scott don't read
is because it cuts into their Internet time.

I think it's simply because they're stoopid.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

wrote:
On Apr 28, 6:12*am, Bret L wrote:

[...]

How so? (Big fan of the movie, BTW.)

I liked "The Road" because the spare style, heavy on dialogue,
reminded me of Hemingway.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Apr 28, 8:42*pm, Boon wrote:
On Apr 28, 7:11*pm, "Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!"

I read "No Country For Old Men" last fall. I found the style he used
in that book distracting.

How so? *(Big fan of the movie, BTW.)

How can you not like a Cohn Brothers movie?

To me a good author somehow fades into the background. Even
Shakespeare with the Olde English somehow fades away and the
characters come to life and take over.

"No Country for Old Men" had punctuation so screwed up and quotes
without quotation marks or any attribution so that to me it ended up
seeming to be an exercise in "how different can I write" versus "how
can I bring the story to life and fade into the background". The other
thing about McCarthy is that he seems to try to be as dark as he can
at all times. So I ended up never being able to forget about the
author. He was always center stage to me. So I wasn't too impressed
with him.

I liked "The Road" because the spare style, heavy on dialogue,
reminded me of Hemingway.

Could you tell who was talking without having to trace the
conversation back?

I don't know. He's gotten acclaim and all and who am I to criticize
but that book left me unimpressed. It could have just been my frame of
mind at the time.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Apr 28, 10:15*pm, "Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!"
wrote:
On Apr 28, 8:42*pm, Boon wrote:

[...]

Come to think of it, I did have to trace back the conversations more
than once. Again, this reminds me a little of Hemingway. In college,
we analyzed one of Hemingway's short stories (can't remember which
one, but it had something to do with two men meeting outside of a bar
or restaurant), and within the lengthy dialogue there's a place where
it gets switched. The trick was to find exactly where it was switched.
Apparently there's been a lot of debate over whether this was
intentional or not.

I also remember studying "Hills Like White Elephants" and being asked
to find the one single subjective word in the entire story. IIRC, the
word is "thoughtfully."

I'm still eager to explore more McCarthy since he does seem to inspire
such debate. I had no problem with "Suttree," but "The Road" did have
long passages with nothing but dialogue, and at times it was difficult
to follow. I've heard that "Blood Meridian" is equally perplexing, but
many consider it his masterpiece. I wonder what Scott and Bret think
about McCarthy.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:
On Apr 28, 8:42*pm, Boon wrote:

[...]

"A Clean, Well-Lighted Place" perhaps? I studied that in college too.

I enjoy books that make me think, just not in that way. IMO if I have
to keep going back over stuff just to figure out who said what I'm
wasting my time. It simply gives English professors something to talk
about. :-)

And perhaps that's one reason why Hemingway is not in my top ten list.

I also remember studying "Hills Like White Elephants" and being asked
to find the one single subjective word in the entire story. IIRC, the
word is "thoughtfully."

I'm still eager to explore more McCarthy since he does seem to inspire
such debate. I had no problem with "Suttree," but "The Road" did have
long passages with nothing but dialogue, and at times it was difficult
to follow. I've heard that "Blood Meridian" is equally perplexing, but
many consider it his masterpiece. I wonder what Scott and Bret think
about McCarthy.

I'm sure they both think he was a fine republican senator and they are
upset over the rough treatment history has given him..
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

wrote:
On Apr 28, 8:42*pm, Boon wrote:

[...]

Wow! That's it!

I enjoy books that make me think, just not in that way. IMO if I have
to keep going back over stuff just to figure out who said what I'm
wasting my time. It simply gives English professors something to talk
about. :-)

And perhaps that's one reason why Hemingway is not in my top ten list.

I know what you mean. Once you get through college, you want to be
engaged by ideas, not devices.

I also remember studying "Hills Like White Elephants" and being asked
to find the one single subjective word in the entire story. IIRC, the
word is "thoughtfully."

I'm still eager to explore more McCarthy since he does seem to inspire
such debate. I had no problem with "Suttree," but "The Road" did have
long passages with nothing but dialogue, and at times it was difficult
to follow. I've heard that "Blood Meridian" is equally perplexing, but
many consider it his masterpiece. I wonder what Scott and Bret think
about McCarthy.

I'm sure they both think he was a fine republican senator and they are
upset over the rough treatment history has given him.

LoL!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article
,
Boon wrote:

"A Clean, Well-Lighted Place" perhaps? I studied that in college too.

Wow! That's it!

A now-defunct chain of San Francisco book stores used that name.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article ,
MiNe 109 wrote:

In article
,
Boon wrote:

"A Clean, Well-Lighted Place" perhaps? I studied that in college too.

Wow! That's it!

A now-defunct chain of San Francisco book stores used that name.

Stephen

Those were nice stores. The SF Bay area has lost so many good
bookstores recently.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Apr 30, 2:41*pm, Jenn wrote:
In article ,
*MiNe 109 * wrote:

In article
,
*Boon wrote:

"A Clean, Well-Lighted Place" perhaps? I studied that in college too.

Wow! That's it!

A now-defunct chain of San Francisco book stores used that name.

Stephen

Those were nice stores. *The SF Bay area has lost so many good
bookstores recently.

It's my fault. I just returned from Goodwill with Camus, Updike and
Miller. All for $1.49!
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article
,
"Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!" wrote:

On Apr 30, 2:41*pm, Jenn wrote:
In article ,
*MiNe 109 * wrote:

In article
,
*Boon wrote:

"A Clean, Well-Lighted Place" perhaps? I studied that in college too.

Wow! That's it!

A now-defunct chain of San Francisco book stores used that name.

Stephen

Those were nice stores. *The SF Bay area has lost so many good
bookstores recently.

It's my fault. I just returned from Goodwill with Camus, Updike and
Miller. All for $1.49!

Let's all guess what the favorite Camus title is in Khilfylistan.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On May 1, 9:16*pm, MiNe 109 wrote:
In article
,
*"Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!" wrote:

On Apr 30, 2:41*pm, Jenn wrote:
In article ,
*MiNe 109 * wrote:

In article
,
*Boon wrote:

"A Clean, Well-Lighted Place" perhaps? I studied that in college too.

Wow! That's it!

A now-defunct chain of San Francisco book stores used that name.

Stephen

Those were nice stores. *The SF Bay area has lost so many good
bookstores recently.

It's my fault. I just returned from Goodwill with Camus, Updike and
Miller. All for $1.49!

Let's all guess what the favorite Camus title is in Khilfylistan.

Now why would you send an innocent like me there?

OK, I promise I'll buy my books at bookstores from now on. Sheesh.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Rockinghorse Winner[_5_] Rockinghorse Winner[_5_] is offline

Boon writes:

Could you tell who was talking without having to trace the
conversation back?

I don't know. He's gotten acclaim and all and who am I to criticize
but that book left me unimpressed. It could have just been my frame of
mind at the time.

Come to think of it, I did have to trace back the conversations more
than once. Again, this reminds me a little of Hemingway. In college,
we analyzed one of Hemingway's short stories (can't remember which
one, but it had something to do with two men meeting outside of a bar
or restaurant), and within the lengthy dialogue there's a place where
it gets switched. The trick was to find exactly where it was switched.
Apparently there's been a lot of debate over whether this was
intentional or not.

Sounds like 'A Clean, Well Lighted Place' IIRC. I seem to remember the same
'glitch' in the conversation!

--
Powered by Linux 2.6.32.11 Fedora 12
In rotation: maladroit (Weezer) 2.6.31.12 OpenSUSE 11.2

FA: 1950's HiFi Literature Stephen F. Marsh Marketplace 0 November 3rd 05 10:59 PM
FA: Vintage Audio Literature Stephen F. Marsh Marketplace 0 August 24th 05 03:40 AM
Old Literature for sale Dave Watts Vacuum Tubes 0 March 9th 05 03:53 PM
Bozak Literature Collection To Sell. Jsrboz321 Marketplace 0 October 23rd 04 02:24 PM