Posted to rec.audio.car
SKaReCRoW SKaReCRoW is offline

Default 1.5 DIN Chevy head unit

I've been doing some research to replace the HU in my 99 Chevy Suburban, and
I can't seem to find many 1.5 DIN's out there. I'd prefer one with HD radio
capabilities, but that's not a requirement. No matter where I search I
always end up back at the Pioneer DEH-P77DH. All the reviews I've seen are
great. Nobody has said anything negative about it that I've seen. It just
lacks some of the features I'd really like to have. Does anyone know of any
other 1.5 DIN radios out there? Features I want follow:

HD radio
XM/Sirrius
USB port!
Aux input
Volume _KNOB_ (I hate push button volume control. Whoever started
putting those in car stereos should be shot)
Adjustable illumination (controlled by factory dimmer like the stock HU)
Speed Controlled Volume (like the stock HU has, never saw the need for
it until I actually had it, now I don't want to live without it)
Ability to use factory installed amp AND RCA outs (for subwoofer at the
very LEAST)
Remote turn on lead (for turning on factory amp and subwoofer amps)
Wireless remote
MP3 support
DVD player with outputs for external monitor(s)
CD changer controls (Or even MiniDisc, I still have a few of those)

The DEH-P77DH has SOME of the things I want, but not most of them. I hear
nothing but bad reviews about Alpine's 1.5 DIN radio, and I'm not even going
to consider buying a Pyle (of crap) HU. Do I have any other options?
Someone please let me know if there's something out there that I'm missing.
Thanks in advance. (btw, use common sense and you can figure out my real
e-mail address for direct contacts)

--
-- SKaReCRoW
I'm out like a fat girl playin dodgeball be-otch!

Posted to rec.audio.car
Sharky Sharky is offline

http://www.innovatek.ca/

Try these guys, I don't know much about them, but when I was looking to
replace the head unit in my Monte Carlo, they seemed to have all of the
features I was looking for. The only thing I wish they had were the factory
GM menu to reprogram keyfobs, interior/exterior light timers, etc., that is
built into the GM radios.

Sharky

Posted to rec.audio.car
SKaReCRoW SKaReCRoW is offline

They might have all the features you were looking for, but they don't seem
to have a 1.5 DIN radio at all. If I wanted a single DIN radio i would buy
a Kenwood without thinking twice about it. Kenwood doesn't make a 1.5 DIN
to my knowledge, which is why I'm trying to see what else is out there.

"Sharky" wrote in message
newsMGgl.8093$PH1.2825@edtnps82...
http://www.innovatek.ca/

Try these guys, I don't know much about them, but when I was looking to
replace the head unit in my Monte Carlo, they seemed to have all of the
features I was looking for. The only thing I wish they had were the
factory GM menu to reprogram keyfobs, interior/exterior light timers,
etc., that is built into the GM radios.

Sharky

Posted to rec.audio.car
Jack Bauer Jack Bauer is offline

SKaReCRoW wrote:
I've been doing some research to replace the HU in my 99 Chevy Suburban, and
I can't seem to find many 1.5 DIN's out there. I'd prefer one with HD radio
capabilities, but that's not a requirement. No matter where I search I
always end up back at the Pioneer DEH-P77DH. All the reviews I've seen are
great. Nobody has said anything negative about it that I've seen. It just
lacks some of the features I'd really like to have. Does anyone know of any
other 1.5 DIN radios out there?

I have the Pioneer unit in my Saturn and I can understand your
frustration. The simple truth is that you don't really get much
advantage to having the 1.5 DIN size. And when you get a standard DIN
with an adapter faceplate, there are so many more options because of the
wide selection. At this point, I am still questioning if going with the
Pioneer DEH-P77DH was worth it or not.

And here is something negative on it: it is WAY too complicated!! There
are so many things that I cannot figure out how to do unless I have the
user manual with me. This includes setting the clock! If you lose that
manual, you are screwed! And there are audio settings that are just WAY
too detailed to make any real difference in a car. Frankly, I like my
cheaper JVC unit in my other car better.
Posted to rec.audio.car

"Jack Bauer" wrote in message
SKaReCRoW wrote:
[...]

That's the first negative comments I've heard about the deck so far.
Everyone always says how wonderful it is. I've read through the manual
online, and I see a lot of it is complicated, but if you lose the manual you
can always download a new copy. Many of the audio settings are pretty
complicated, but most of them don't even need to be touched, and if so, only
once, and never again. Well, unless you make other major changes to your
setup.

I personally _HATE_ the way single DIN decks look with the install kits in a
larger opening. I was considering a Kenwood single DIN with a 1/2 DIN eq
below it, but I bought a 15 band eq/crossover (MA Audio SY15EQ) instead.

If you decide the Pioneer deck wasn't worth it, would you be willing to part
with it cheap?

FORD factory 6 DISC CD unit. Can I ad an AMP and SUB to the factory system while keeping the stock head unit?? ben Car Audio 4 May 11th 06 10:35 AM
head unit rossshan Car Audio 0 January 2nd 05 11:51 AM
MP3 Head Unit Macross Car Audio 1 September 21st 04 05:51 AM
MP3 head unit... Peter Hamilton Car Audio 2 June 21st 04 02:23 AM
Chevy Colorado - Notes for aftermarket head unit &subwoofer install NoNameHere Car Audio 2 June 12th 04 05:47 PM