Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Default yamaha rx-v477

On Saturday, November 28, 2015 at 6:27:36 PM UTC-5, wrote=
:
I have a new Yamaha rx-v477. I was wondering it is possible to have both=

the 5 external speakers as well as the ones on the TV running simultaneous=
ly. Is it because all of them won't be in-phase. I think I noticed a slig=
ht audio delay on the external speakers over the ones on the TV.

You can always change the phase of the speakers - but, for the record, mos=
t TV on-board speakers are of relatively poor quality as compared to outboa=
rd speakers purchased for the purpose. Such that you are wasting the capaci=
ty of the receiver by using the TV speakers simultaneously. There will be n=
o "delay" of any nature - that would not make sense at all if you think abo=
ut it. So, it is most likely what you hear is due to phasing. Of course if =
you are hearing in HD and viewing in 'normal' there may be a delay - I see =
that on some sources - but not all. Make sure that what you are hearing is =
exactly what you are seeing.=20

HOW TO DO IT: passive speakers are "dumb" - meaning they don't care how the=
y are connected as long as they are connected identically across the system=
.. So, to reverse the phase of your speakers, connect the Red from the recei=
ver to the Black on the speaker and vice-versa - but MAKE SURE that all you=
r speakers are so-connected.=20

If you are happy with this arrangement, that is enough. If you are not, try=
muting your on-board speakers and now start experimenting with the placeme=
nt of the 5.1 speakers. R & L should be about the center of the screen in h=
eight, and no more than a foot from the sides of the screen. CT should be v=
ery nearly directly under or directly over the screen - very close in any c=
ase, as that will supply 90% of the dialog information you will be hearing,=
and if it is not close-to and centered on the screen, it will not really s=
ynchronize well with the action.=20

The RR and RL speakers should be placed according to your tastes, but not m=
uch more than 10-12 feet apart on the back wall. Otherwise, and again, they=
will provide information that may not make sense according to the action o=
n the screen. Keep in mind that you are not trying for actual special-effec=
ts, but in providing a realistic spatial environment in your viewing area s=
o that the action on the screen is presented in the most natural way.=20

Best of luck with it!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA