Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Joachim Heller Joachim Heller is offline

Default rotary switch for balanced sources

Hi

im not shure if anybody can help me here, but i will just try it
What did i have...
A CD Player with balanced output and 2 mono power amps with balanced inputs.
The plan was to connect both with a 'passive preamp'. Therefore i bought
2 DACT volume switches.
I was told that the both units did not match very well (i did not have
the values of the impedances here) so i added 2 buffer amps from DACT
At the moment i am building a sigma22 power unit to feed them.
'Unfortunatelly' i got hands on a new, old turntable. So i also started
building a balanced RIAA pre amp for it.
2 sources?
So my nearly passive preamp now will need a source selector.
I am not very used to things like this (i'm just soldering kits in most
of the cases)
So what did i need...
I have looked about an ELMA rotary switch.
I would like to switch at least 2, better 3 balanced sources.
Best would be to switch plus, minus and ground.
So i found an ELMA 04-2344 switch.
It has 2 decks, 3 poles and 4 positions.
As far as i understand, it will be able to switch 4 balanced stereo sources.
Right?
Non shorting switches would be best for switching sources?
As said before, i am not very common with things like this

Or is there another (better and easy to build) solution for my problem.

Thanks, Joachim

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Sunday, September 20, 2015 at 5:00:09 PM UTC-4, Joachim Heller wrote:
Hi
=20

SNIPPAGE =20

As far as i understand, it will be able to switch 4 balanced stereo sourc=

es.=20
Right?=20
Non shorting switches would be best for switching sources?=20
As said before, i am not very common with things like this =20

Phono and tape-head inputs want to be shorted to reduce noise if switched '=
in' with no component attached.=20

There is a school-of-thought that would like all non-used inputs to be shor=
ted, line or low-level notwithstanding. You can manage that mechanically wi=
thout going to any heroics with the switch. Just make a couple of pairs of =
shorting jacks for any unused positions in your box. DO NOT short one chann=
el to another _EVER_. all sorts of havoc may result.=20

Otherwise, you should be fine. Make sure you "Ohm Out" all your work to mak=
e sure nothing got cross-connected by accident, and make sure that any low-=
level input wiring is shielded. Connect the shield at one end only to avoid=
hum-loops. More on that if needed.=20

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Am 22.09.2015 um 05:49 schrieb Peter Wieck:

Phono and tape-head inputs want to be shorted to reduce noise if switched 'in' with no component attached.

Thanks for this info

regards Joachim