Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

Default Duuh!! If your Peak limiter has no effect, your probably clipping badly already!!!

the-krissie-dumb****i @ gurglemail-dot-com wrote in message
hank alrich, Jeff Henig, Mike Rivers,
et al:

I understand a LOT MORE than you
BULLIES give me credit for.

Why do you keep proving otherwise?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Jeff Henig wrote:

wrote:
hank alrich, Jeff Henig, Mike Rivers,
et al:

I understand a LOT MORE than you
BULLIES give me credit for. That's
right, now all that you guys are reduced
to, by your own behavior as evidenced
by your most recent replies to this
thread, are the proverbial jerks at the
back of the school bus!

Glad I didn't go to grade school with
any of you.

Huh.

Not my zoo, not my monkeys.

I was laughing at the "lossy format" meme, not you, dude.

Chill.

Offense is where you find it; hence, a fence, but perhaps not fencing.

"I lost my format, Doc. What you got for me?"

Patience is well invested when the patient can pay attention.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 18/01/2015 11:45 AM, geoff wrote:
A bit like people who drive and Audi. They always seem to be able to
drop an Audi reference into a discussion of almost any topic !

Being the first to drop that name in this thread, does that mean you
drive an Audi? :-)

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Luxey Luxey is offline

недеља, 18. јануар 2015. 01.45.22 UTC+1, geoff је написао/ла:
On 18/01/2015 5:48 a.m., Scott Dorsey wrote:
wrote:

How the F- is the loudness war "my hobby horse"? WTF
does that mean?! Sheez, as if I was the only person in
this SOLAR SYSTEM opposed to it...

Lots of people are opposed to it, but most of them can also talk
about other things without constantly bringing it up in the middle
of totally unrelated discussions. You do not seem to be able to
talk about anything without bringing it up.
--scott

A bit like people who drive and Audi. They always seem to be able to
drop an Audi reference into a discussion of almost any topic !

geoff

Speaking of Audi ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN7AIJmKibU

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Monday, January 12, 2015 at 10:59:08 PM UTC-5, Trevor wrote:
On 13/01/2015 3:10 AM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Paul wrote:
Thankfully it wasn't too bad, so the client didn't notice
anything....but after they left, I compared their tracks to some
store-bought CDs, and they were way too loud.

You managed to exceed 0dBFS? ;-)

Since "store bought CD's" vary in both peak and average levels by up to
20dB depending on genre, label, era, mastering engineer etc. the whole
concept above is a joke, not just the reply. Surely the easiest way to
determine clipping these days is to simply look at the waveform in your
DAW? Flat tops are a definite give away!

Trevor.

Trevor, I assume you're from England? Your name hints that. I like Trevor at Ace (UK). Very nice company. Even replaced an Ace CD I bought secondhand due to CD rot!! Shame there are no great reissue labels who'd do the same in the US!!!

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 31/01/2015 5:08 AM, JackA wrote:
Trevor, I assume you're from England? Your name hints that.

Nope, Australia. There are lots of Trevor's in all countries where
English people migrated to, including the USA.

I like Trevor at Ace (UK). Very nice company. Even replaced an Ace CD
I bought secondhand due to CD rot!! Shame there are no great reissue
labels who'd do the same in the US!!!

Unfortunately most record companies have a long term habit of not
standing behind their product. Even more so in the days of vinyl. There
was a big import market here because you knew the local pressings were
gonna be crap :-(

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 2:12:44 AM UTC-5, Trevor wrote:
On 31/01/2015 5:08 AM, JackA wrote:
Trevor, I assume you're from England? Your name hints that.

Nope, Australia. There are lots of Trevor's in all countries where
English people migrated to, including the USA.

I like Trevor at Ace (UK). Very nice company. Even replaced an Ace CD
I bought secondhand due to CD rot!! Shame there are no great reissue
labels who'd do the same in the US!!!

Unfortunately most record companies have a long term habit of not
standing behind their product. Even more so in the days of vinyl. There
was a big import market here because you knew the local pressings were
gonna be crap :-(

Trevor.

Ace (UK) Records, nothing but beautiful people!! His name, too, is Trevor at Ace. Since he knew I loved stereo mixes, I told him I wished a certain (The) Olympics (Soul group) song, a regional Philadelphia hit, would surface in stereo. I soon had adequate MP3 of (4) Takes! It sounded so much better, no longer sounding like it was mastered at the bottom of a trashcan. Assume they never publishes it because it had lopsided stereo. You know, a staged recording, lead singer displaced from the music. An great amount of studio talk was included, but I soon realized, listening to the various elevated levels of tape hiss, it was accumulated studio talk! Great to hear the lead singer (RIP) just laugh!

I enjoyed going to wherever I could find cheap CDs. I'd find many import CDs that didn't sell abroad. But, I found a fair amount of stereo mixes I never heard before!!

Ran into another Australia person, via the 'net. I was surprised he knew of The Banana Splits (60's TV show)!!

If you're ever looking for something (songs, CDs, etc.), US Top 40, 50's and above, feel free to ask. I have helped some local radio stations because I got tired of hearing poor mastering!

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro

JackA: It's not "poor mastering", it's doing what they're being paid to: produce
something that supposedly stands out from the competition. And yes, the
same album might even be mastered differently for sale in different
countries: loud & lifeless in the States, natural & dynamic in Europe or
Asia. Point is, don't just rush to judge the mixing/mastering engineers.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 6/02/2015 11:19 AM, JackA wrote:
Ran into another Australia person, via the 'net. I was surprised he
knew of The Banana Splits (60's TV show)!!

Why, it aired here on local TV. Most kids of the 60's probably remember
it and the Tra La La song :-)

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 10:51:35 PM UTC-5, Trevor wrote:
On 6/02/2015 11:19 AM, JackA wrote:
Ran into another Australia person, via the 'net. I was surprised he
knew of The Banana Splits (60's TV show)!!

Why, it aired here on local TV. Most kids of the 60's probably remember
it and the Tra La La song :-)

Trevor.

Ha!!! My memory hasn't gone yet!! Bought a Banana Splits CD from him in Australia (it amazed me how far the TV show traveled)! Not only in Stereo, but an alternate Tra La La version as well!! :-)

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 8:36:10 PM UTC-5, wrote:
JackA: It's not "poor mastering", it's doing what they're being paid to: produce
something that supposedly stands out from the competition. And yes, the
same album might even be mastered differently for sale in different
countries: loud & lifeless in the States, natural & dynamic in Europe or
Asia. Point is, don't just rush to judge the mixing/mastering engineers.

I can understand that, but what I was told, most stations don't buy CDs, as written by him....

http://www.uncompressedmusic.com/

Actually, he gave me a hint why radio has gone to pot, such repetitive songs, boring as where Satan resides.
But when I told the Classic Rock station to upgrade a particular Rolling Stones song, the reply was, "I guess you don't like ABKCO". Boy, how true that is!!!

Thanks, K'!

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro

JackA:

You do realize by 'Uncompressed Music' in that link he means
no DATA compression - all lossless WAV CD-ready files.

There still might be some DYNAMICALLY-compressed and/or
limited remasters in his store, but on a track-by-track basis.

Please be sure to know the difference between data
compression(lossy mp3, etc codec) and dynamic range
compression.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

JackA:

You do realize by 'Uncompressed Music' in that link he means
no DATA compression - all lossless WAV CD-ready files.

There still might be some DYNAMICALLY-compressed and/or
limited remasters in his store, but on a track-by-track basis.

Please be sure to know the difference between data
compression(lossy mp3, etc codec) and dynamic range
compression.

Oh, I know where you're coming from!!! I wasn't applauding his WAVs, just pointing to who told me about radio, that's all.

Why many claim CDs are well capable for most music reproduction, because it's already enhanced, compressed, echo added, whatever. Not really dumping on MP3, I think it's one of man's greatest accomplishments.

Jack