Posted to rec.audio.pro
Keoki Keoki is offline

Default LCD screens in my studio

I have two flat panels, an age-old 42" Sony LCD, that I can look at
all day long without a problem. I also have a newer, brighter 26" Dell
LCD, that gives me a huge headache after just a short time. (So I
pretty much stopped using it.)

Did any of you run into such a weird phenomenon yet with LCD monitors?
Have anyone found a solution? I'm starting to worry because my old
Sony is starting to flash horizontal lines randomly, I might have to
replace it soon with the Dell. Headache City, here I come... unless I
figure out quickly what causes this issue...
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

Keoki writes:

I have two flat panels, an age-old 42" Sony LCD, that I can look at
all day long without a problem. I also have a newer, brighter 26" Dell
LCD, that gives me a huge headache after just a short time. (So I
pretty much stopped using it.)

Did any of you run into such a weird phenomenon yet with LCD monitors?
Have anyone found a solution? I'm starting to worry because my old
Sony is starting to flash horizontal lines randomly, I might have to
replace it soon with the Dell. Headache City, here I come... unless I
figure out quickly what causes this issue...

You need to tweak them. Same issue here. The 42" Sharp is wonderful; the 26" Acer is
"hot" -- took a while to dial it back.

Frank
Mobile Audio
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Keoki wrote:
I have two flat panels, an age-old 42" Sony LCD, that I can look at
all day long without a problem. I also have a newer, brighter 26" Dell
LCD, that gives me a huge headache after just a short time. (So I
pretty much stopped using it.)

Did any of you run into such a weird phenomenon yet with LCD monitors?
Have anyone found a solution?

Nope. Are they both backlighted with fluorescents or is the newer one
LED backlighted? If you wave your hand in front of it, do you see any
flicker?

I'm starting to worry because my old
Sony is starting to flash horizontal lines randomly, I might have to
replace it soon with the Dell. Headache City, here I come... unless I
figure out quickly what causes this issue...

It's shameful when you have to replace a monitor after just a couple years.
But you may be able to find someone able to fix the Sony, which I bet has
a soldering or connector issue.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mxsmanic Mxsmanic is offline

Keoki writes:

I have two flat panels, an age-old 42" Sony LCD, that I can look at
all day long without a problem. I also have a newer, brighter 26" Dell
LCD, that gives me a huge headache after just a short time. (So I
pretty much stopped using it.)

What are the refresh rates on the monitors?

Higher brightness and contrast require higher refresh rates to avoid eye
strain. Some people are more sensitive to this than others.

Also, the more quickly LCDs can change state, the more they may flicker,
although this also allows them to handle rapid motion (e.g., for games)
without streaking or ghosting.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mxsmanic Mxsmanic is offline

Robin K. Banks writes:

I have an older 2007 19" Bench TFT, Samsung OEM, RoHS, I was going to
recycle, but now I am going to open it up and check for tin whiskers (or
bad caps.) It was bought in 2007 and started to flicker a year or so
ago... way sooner than it should methinks... now it is getting so bad
that I can't install an OS with it on the bench.

The whole screen flickers, or only parts of it? If it's the whole screen, it
could be the backlight, otherwise it could be hardware inside the monitor or
the video card.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
swanny swanny is offline

On 4/04/2012 1:40 PM, Robin K. Banks wrote:
On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 17:08:26 +0200, Mxsmanic wrote:

Keoki writes:

[...]

Samsung monitors (and flat screen TV's) that use CFL backlighting are
notorious for having poorly rated electrolytic capacitors in the power
supply. They are usually bulging and quite obvious once you look inside.
Easily replaced with a correctly rated quality cap and you should get
many more years out of the monitor.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Keoki Keoki is offline

Hello Scott,

The thing about the Sony PFM 42 is, once it came down of the heavy
duty support shelving I constructed, I'm not lifting that thing again.
It is nearly 70 lbs. It could kill a person it tumbles on.

The 26" Dell, in comparison, I could dance with it. :-) Except I need
to move my keyboard storage shelf to get to it. (Which, like a giant
surf rack, is holding 8 keyboards, maybe 400 lbs total... a
manifestation of the "as soon as you let an old instrument go, you'll
regret it" at work. Looks like I'll regret it just the same that I
didn't :-))

George

On Apr 3, 3:59*am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

It's shameful when you have to replace a monitor after just a couple years.
But you may be able to find someone able to fix the Sony, which I bet has
a soldering or connector issue.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Keoki Keoki is offline

The end of the story: the PFM42 did quit a week ago.
It's gone now. The Dell at first seemed a bit un-contrasty after it,
then I remembered that I reduced the contrast on it on purpose, before
I put it aside.
It was the right choice, apparently, now it does not give me headaches
anymore. Either that or I'm getting blinder. :-) Or both.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] ckozicki@snet.net is offline

K: You need to either calibrate that Dell yourself or have it calibrated.

#1: Content - What is monitor used for?

#2: Environment - What lighting/reflective condition exist where the Dell is installed?

These are two of the most important questions to answer before beginning calibration.

Finally: Understand that a lot of displays, particularly consumer-grade monitors & TVs are shipped in "torch"/Vivid/ mode(hell I've even seen Retail mode!!) so that they pop out on the sales floor. You should not leave them in this mode! First, they will cause eye fatigue after as little as a half-hour of viewing. Secondly, factory torch mode will shorten its life. And finally, it consumes more energy.

By just turning down the backlight - perhaps to the midpoint - you can cut energy consumption drastically and make the display easier on the eyes. This is not a substitute for determining the correct adjustments for the other settings(Brightness/Black Lvl, Contrast/White Lvl, etc), so grab a calibration disc or explore online monitor calibration sites.

-CC

use of LCD screens in control room tommy banana Pro Audio 40 June 9th 06 03:00 PM
von Sweikert Vortex Screens [email protected] Marketplace 0 January 22nd 05 03:29 AM
02 gmc denali video screens... ~^ beancounter ~^ Car Audio 2 September 22nd 04 03:23 PM
Centurion Screens? Silver Car Audio 0 July 21st 04 09:00 PM
DVD player/LCD screens Brendt Montgomery Car Audio 0 June 30th 03 10:32 PM