Posted to rec.audio.tubes
maxhifi maxhifi is offline

Default Headphones

Are there any headphone users out there? I might have a need to replace
my Tannoys with headphones part time... thinking about something closed
back, and dynamic.

I'll probably power them from my SE 2A3 amplifier, for no other reason
than it's not doing anything else - this means I'll need to upgrade the
power supply, to supress noise.

Can anyone suggest an appropriate model? I want them to be punchy, but
not obnoxious. Sennheisers are too laid back for me, I have a pair of
HD570 which are great on classical, but not much else. I suspect
electrostatics would be similar, and anyway, too expensive. Something
like the cheap phones they have for trying before you buy at Best Buy
would be the other extreme - boosted bass, not too accurate, etc. I want
the headphone equivalent of quality paper cone full range speakers, if
it exists.

I have no problem buying used, and eBay is an option.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Aug 23, 1:42 am, maxhifi wrote:
[...]

Mpffff... vintage Koss Pro4 with whatever number of "A"s to follow. Of
course, you will need the neck of a rhino and one hopes you do not
sweat much. Koss will sell you new liquid-filled ear-pads, and they
are otherwise pretty bullet proof. Grado makes a decent, inexpensive
headphone but they more than resemble Sennheiser in sound. So, you are
kinda-sorta left with vintage Koss and/or if you can find a set of
white-enclosure Pioneer headphones.... those have all the bass you
need, but not much else.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
GregS[_2_] GregS[_2_] is offline

In article , maxhifi wrote:
[...]

My suggestion is Audio Technica. I have a pair of the open backs.
They are big, but do not touch your ears. Very nice quality.

I would not describe as punchy, just excellant., and a great buy. Probably
more like your Sennheisers.

http://www.ambientweather.com/dbatha700.html

or mine.

http://www.ambientweather.com/dbathad700.html
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
GregS[_2_] GregS[_2_] is offline

In article , (GregS) wrote:
In article , maxhifi wrote:
[...]

The Grados are probably more punchy. I would sell you mine, but I think i'll
keep them for a reference. Seem so cheesy compared to the Audio Technica.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

maxhifi wrote:

[...]

Beyers are in the same league as Sennheisers.

Graham