pgaron

Default Olive "Symphony" Music Center

Does anyone have any experience with the Olive "Symphony" audio center
that is the subject of this New York Times article:

http://tinyurl.com/ag9om (Registration is required.)

[Moderator's note: The above link is to the NYTimes. The company's
website is: www.olive.us. -- deb ]

It's described on the company's Website as being especially designed
for the classical music listener. I'm wondering whether it's really a
great high-end audio invention.

pgaron

pgaron wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with the Olive "Symphony" audio center
that is the subject of this New York Times article:

http://tinyurl.com/ag9om (Registration is required.)

[Moderator's note: The above link is to the NYTimes. The company's
website is: www.olive.us. -- deb ]

It's described on the company's Website as being especially designed
for the classical music listener. I'm wondering whether it's really a
great high-end audio invention.

None of its individual functions is revolutionary. It's the
combination--playing, ripping and burning CDs, digitizing vinyl,
networking with iPods and computers (via Ethernet or WiFi). Plus an
interface of iPod-like elegance. That David Pogue's review was the
hottest download at nytimes.com on Fitzmas Eve is testament to its
potentially broad appeal. I'm not sure why they've keyed their
marketing to classical listeners, except that the accompanying playlist
software (Mac-only) apparently is friendlier to classical than the
standard artist/song/album arrangement of iTunes.

A few weaknesses: It can play but not rip to AAC, and it can't play
iTunes Music Store downloads. The latter is odd, given its Mac-ish
nature. Presumably you'd want to make the Olive one of your accepted
computers.

Even so, it's going on my Christmas list. And I'll bet Atkinon's
already got one for review.

bob

Vienna Symphonic Orchestra Pro Performance ( VSL ), EXS24, 27 DVDs, and GIGA, 43 DVDs, and Quantum Leap music tools, 15 DVDs futa General 0 May 5th 05 01:37 PM
Vienna Symphonic Orchestra Pro Performance ( VSL ), EXS24, 27 DVDs, and GIGA, 43 DVDs, and Quantum Leap music tools, 15 DVDs futa Pro Audio 0 May 5th 05 01:37 PM
Turntable report Jenn High End Audio 81 May 2nd 05 03:26 AM
Voluntary Collective Licensing of Music File Sharing Greg Pro Audio 11 September 1st 04 03:29 PM
On the difference between music lovers and audiophiles [email protected] Vacuum Tubes 4 January 9th 04 02:20 PM