Roger B

Default Best microphone choice of ...

I want an microphone for my homestudio with figure-8 charactristica
for recording of vocal, background vocals and some stereo recording.

I have been offered a used Sennheiser MKH 30 P48 (figure-8 only, mint
cond.) for a used price of around 400 USD. Will this be a better
microphone than the Rode Nt2000 or Studio Projects C3 microphones
which retails new for a 100 USD more?
Or has the prices fallen so much that a new one will be the best
choice?

Roger )
Scott Dorsey

Roger B wrote:
I want an microphone for my homestudio with figure-8 charactristica
for recording of vocal, background vocals and some stereo recording.

Why?

I have been offered a used Sennheiser MKH 30 P48 (figure-8 only, mint
cond.) for a used price of around 400 USD. Will this be a better
microphone than the Rode Nt2000 or Studio Projects C3 microphones
which retails new for a 100 USD more?

The MKH30 is several orders of magnitude higher quality a microphone.
BUT, it's a microphone intended for totally different applications. The
MKH30 is intended to be accurate (and in fact it probably has the best
off-axis response of any figure-8 out there, and is certainly one of the
quietest mikes made). The NT2000 and C3 are both intended to sound larger
than life. Which do you want?

Or has the prices fallen so much that a new one will be the best
choice?

If I wanted a figure-8 for vocals in that range, I might look at a Beyer M130.

Hal Laurent

Why a figure of eight?

To keep the guitar from bleeding as much into the vocal mic?

Hal Laurent
Baltimore

Roger B

Some bakground information:

My selection of microphones today consist of one AKG5900, two matching
oktava MK012C, two old Calrec (something) from the 70s. I think a
figure-8 microphone like the sennheizer will complete my needs for
microphones for most future sessions. (I need to invest now before my
newly married wife gets the overview of our economy)

My musicstyle is closest to alternative rock, but mostly sad and slow
melodies with clear instruments and vocals. My instrument is guitar,
mostly fingerplaying acoustic. I seldom want it to sound "larger than
life".

I learned about figure-8 from the old videoseries "shaping your sound"
(early 80s?), and it recommended this setup for some vocals and also
backingvocals.

The microphones and the prices mentioned before are all what I have
been offered here in Norway. I have not seen the Beyer M130
microphones listed here.

Roger

Geoff Wood

"Roger B" wrote in message
om...
Some bakground information:

My selection of microphones today consist of one AKG5900, two matching
oktava MK012C, two old Calrec (something) from the 70s. I think a
figure-8 microphone like the sennheizer will complete my needs for
microphones for most future sessions.

I don't think that condition is EVER acheived !

;-)

geoff