eric57

Default i need old pyral magnetic tape specification

Hello world.
I got an old PYRAL magnetic tape, ref : CJ 50 SR 33.
Please, do you know technical specification about this tape,
or any internet site about the old Pyral products.
I thank you a lot.
Regards.
Eric.
Scott Dorsey

eric57 wrote:
I got an old PYRAL magnetic tape, ref : CJ 50 SR 33.
Please, do you know technical specification about this tape,
or any internet site about the old Pyral products.

I do not, because the Pyral tapes never got imported into the US. However,
Pyral is still in business and they are still making magnetic film although
they are out of the tape business.

If you send me a reel, I can measure optimal bias and MOL, if that is what
you want. Given the designation, I'd bet that was a red oxide tape for
broadcast use, the sort you bias for a peak on a 1KC tone rather than use
overbias method on.

TonyP

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
Any Pyral tape is bound to be old enough so that I wouldn't try
recording on it. If you want to play it, you should take care in
handling it, and check for brittle backing and shedding or sticky
oxide.

Nah, tape lasts for hundreds of years doesn't it Mike?

TonyP.

eric57

Not specifically, but there's a lot of generic information about tape
that could apply. What is it that you want to know and how do you plan
to use the information?

I am looking for datasheet as :
http://users.pandora.be/audiomedia/i...tegy%20499.htm
or :
http://users.pandora.be/audiomedia/Zonal.htm
to know what usage my tape was made for by the Pyral socity.

Scott Dorsey

eric57 wrote:
Not specifically, but there's a lot of generic information about tape
that could apply. What is it that you want to know and how do you plan
to use the information?

I am looking for datasheet as :
http://users.pandora.be/audiomedia/i...tegy%20499.htm
or :
http://users.pandora.be/audiomedia/Zonal.htm
to know what usage my tape was made for by the Pyral socity.

Call Pyral and ask.

If they don't have one, you can measure bias point and MOL and look at the
color of the tape and make a pretty good guess whether it was a broadcast,
mastering, or consumer tape.
Shpalman

What do you feed 456 to make it last 100 years I wonder?

Methylated spirits?