sycochkn

Default digital audio recorder

How about a mono 24 bit digital recorder with a condenser mic interface that
can be synchronized to as many other same devices as desired. up to 27 hours
or up to 192 k sample rate, recording time depending on the flash card or
microdrive installed and the sample rate. USB for interface to upload to
computer.

Bob

--
Drive fast and eat cheese.

Len Moskowitz

sycochkn wrote:

How about a mono 24 bit digital recorder with a condenser mic interface that
can be synchronized to as many other same devices as desired. up to 27 hours
or up to 192 k sample rate, recording time depending on the flash card or
microdrive installed and the sample rate. USB for interface to upload to
computer.

You might have a look at our PDAudio system. With an external hard
drive (e.g., Addonics Pocket ExDrive with an HP Dual PCMCIA Expansion
Pack) or an external USB drive (when using a Toshiba PDA) you can get
more than 20 hours of recording time at up to 192 KS/s. Two channels
for the moment and mono when Live2496's author at Gidluck Mastering adds
that feature.

Mic2496 is a fine mic pre/A-to-D for it but you could also use a Grace
Designs Lunatec V3.

The only thing you'll be missing is external word clock.
Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

Len Moskowitz

I wrote:

You might have a look at our PDAudio system. With an external hard
drive (e.g., Addonics Pocket ExDrive with an HP Dual PCMCIA Expansion
Pack) or an external USB drive (when using a Toshiba PDA) you can get
more than 20 hours of recording time at up to 192 KS/s. Two channels
for the moment and mono when Live2496's author at Gidluck Mastering adds
that feature.

Mic2496 is a fine mic pre/A-to-D for it but you could also use a Grace
Designs Lunatec V3.

The only thing you'll be missing is external word clock.

And the Lunatec V3 provides a word clock output.

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

Bob Cain

Len Moskowitz wrote:

Mic2496 is a fine mic pre/A-to-D for it but you could also use a Grace
Designs Lunatec V3.

The only thing you'll be missing is external word clock.

Len, that's something I wish you would consider. Wordclock
chainability could be a very signifigant feature for
relatively low cost options such as yours.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

sycochkn

And for about 25 dollars the flash interface from target, if the output is
usb. I was looking at the pd audio. I only saw a stereo version. 250 dollars
did not sound bad at all.

Bob

"Len Moskowitz" wrote in message
I wrote:

You might have a look at our PDAudio system. With an external hard
drive (e.g., Addonics Pocket ExDrive with an HP Dual PCMCIA Expansion
Pack) or an external USB drive (when using a Toshiba PDA) you can get
more than 20 hours of recording time at up to 192 KS/s. Two channels
for the moment and mono when Live2496's author at Gidluck Mastering adds
that feature.

Mic2496 is a fine mic pre/A-to-D for it but you could also use a Grace
Designs Lunatec V3.

The only thing you'll be missing is external word clock.

And the Lunatec V3 provides a word clock output.

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

Bob Cain

sycochkn wrote:

Word clock would also allow the sample rate to be determined by the clock
generator.

Which ideally would be the first device in the chain should
it not be receiving a clock from another source.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

Len Moskowitz

sycochkn wrote:

2 gig flash card is 250 to 300 at the moment. ...

A 2 GB compact flash card sells for under $200. A 4 GB card is around $550.

Hitachi just came out with a 10 GB PCMCIA hard drive. It's also selling
for under $200.

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

Len Moskowitz

sycochkn wrote:

And for about 25 dollars the flash interface from target, if the output is
usb. I was looking at the pd audio. I only saw a stereo version. 250 dollars
did not sound bad at all.

If you're using a laptop, most recording applications can record in
mono, if that's what you prefer.

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

Len Moskowitz

Bob Cain wrote:

Len, that's something I wish you would consider. Wordclock
chainability could be a very signifigant feature for
relatively low cost options such as yours.

It's a function of the mic pre/A-to-D rather than the PDAudio-CF card.

We'll consider it for future versions of our Mic2496 and other products.

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

Aaron J. Grier

Mike Rivers wrote:
That's why I was asking the question. Maybe a flash card that's
"affordable" in a couple of years can do an hour at 192 kHz 24-bit
mono (about 2 GB).

perhaps use real-time lossless encoding (shorten / FLAC / etc) to reduce
the storage requirements?

--
Aaron J. Grier | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." |
"someday the industry will have throbbing frontal lobes and will be able

Len Moskowitz

I wrote:

A 2 GB compact flash card sells for under $200. A 4 GB card is around $550.

Hitachi just came out with a 10 GB PCMCIA hard drive. It's also selling
for under $200.

My apologies: the Hitachi drive I referred to is actually an older
external 2.5" hard drive with a PCMCIA (PC Card) interface. IBM used to
sell it as the TravelStar 10E. It is not an internally mounted (slot
mounted) PCMCIA hard drive.

By the way, 4 GB Compact Flash memory cards are about to break the $500
price point. You can buy a SanDisk 4 GB CF card on eBay right now for
$519. 2 GB CF cards are available for under $200.

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

TonyP

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
The less you do to an audio file in order to store and retrieve it, the

better.
(one more argument for analog tape)

Mike just ignores all the processing needed to convert analog signals to
magnetic domains and back again. Not to mention superimposing on HF, playing
with frequency response, etc etc etc.

TonyP.