Geoff Wood

EggHd wrote:
Why is that better?

Depending on the app, superior workflow, more CHOICE, and the
feel-good factor of not supporting an autocratic company.

But that's just opinion. What if the choice is pro tools?

That's fine. Especially if that choice is made on grounds *other* than "If
I don't get ProTools I won't get work because the perception is (for
whatever reason) that only ProTools is 'Professional' ".

geoff

EggHd

That's fine. Especially if that choice is made on grounds *other* than "If
I don't get ProTools I won't get work because the perception is (for
whatever reason) that only ProTools is 'Professional' ".

I personally don't know anybody in that mindset.

I have many friends who use DP, Nuendo, Cool Edit, and everything else.

They all make their choices, do great work and stay busy.

What is the issue with Pro Tools? use it or not. Who gives a rats ass?

---------------------------------------
Danny

Geoff Wood wrote:

Danny wrote:

Geoff Wood wrote:

PT got to be the thing because it was the first system that worked
well. it isn't the best at all anymore but people don't know anything
but what they hear.

Same reason that NS-10s are the studio monitor of choice, and that creative
people only use Macs.

geoff

I agree with the ns10's but watch your language about the mac buddy, I'm
a devout believer ;-)

Bob Olhsson

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
It doesn't really create the high price for PT systems, it keeps the
price from dropping. The fact that they to a major upgrade of hardware
and software every couple of years means that they can't amortize
their development cost over a very long period. They know that they'll
sell (for the sake of argument) 10,000 systems, and in two years,
they'll sell 10,000 systems to the same people over again, less a few
who decide to abandon Digidesign, plus a few brave enough to start
with it.

The turnover rate is more like once every five years except for folks who
seem to believe they are crippled if they don't have the very latest gizmo
to brag about. Myself, I'm utterly amazed people think of Pro Tools as being
expensive.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com

Danny

It doesn't really create the high price for PT systems, it keeps the
price from dropping. The fact that they to a major upgrade of hardware
and software every couple of years means that they can't amortize
their development cost over a very long period. They know that they'll
sell (for the sake of argument) 10,000 systems, and in two years,
they'll sell 10,000 systems to the same people over again, less a few
who decide to abandon Digidesign, plus a few brave enough to start
with it.

The turnover rate is more like once every five years except for folks who
seem to believe they are crippled if they don't have the very latest gizmo
to brag about. Myself, I'm utterly amazed people think of Pro Tools as being
expensive.

It's list price is something around $1300 (street price is less) for 8
in/out and you can add 8 more through a light pipe. Damn man, I paid
$3800 for a tascam 388 back in 86/87 when I was much younger and made
less, and I thought that was a steal!!!

loved that little 8 track by the way...

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

I personally don't know anybody in that mindset.
I have many friends who use DP, Nuendo, Cool Edit, and everything else.
They all make their choices, do great work and stay busy.

Well, your friends are actually doing work, and probably either have
already dealt with or don't have to deal with people who call them up
saying "I want to record a CD. Do you have ProTools? How much do you
charge an hour?"

What is the issue with Pro Tools? use it or not. Who gives a rats ass?

The person who perceives that he's losing money because he doesn't
have it. A successful studio owner friend of mine in the Bay area has
a good analog setup, but he was pretty much forced into buying ADATs
several years back because budgets (even those of his regular clients
who loved his room and his work) could no longer support analog tape.
When it became necessary to move to a hard disk based system, he
studied out what was available and decided to go with ProTools (he got
a good deal on last year's model and isn't in a hurry to upgrade)
because there wasn't anything wrong with it and the name recognition
would bring him some new business, wouldn't lose him any of his
existing business, and would allow him to do some things more
efficiently.

I'm not in the position to make or lose money in a studio, so I'll
stick with my Mackie recorder, Lynx L22 card, and Fast Edit.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
John

The turnover rate is more like once every five years except for folks who
seem to believe they are crippled if they don't have the very latest gizmo
to brag about. Myself, I'm utterly amazed people think of Pro Tools as being
expensive.

Well, don't you think it's coming to that? Clients already choose PT studios
without really realizing that a studio can have PT and yet have an engineer who
knows not how to place a microphone. I can forsee clients saying, "Oh, you
guys only have Mix and not HD... I think I'll go down the street." If they
aren't saying that already that is. You can substitute the future PT platform
names in place of Mix and HD. But then, they've already improved on HD,
haven't they? Isn't Accel the new HD?

And yes, I do think $5,000 for a PCI card and some software is steep.
Remember, you've laid out 5k and still can't record, until you pick out a
suitable proprietary interface. Like I said I'm looking for a PT system now.
I can't afford to be without it it seems. But I don't honestly think it will
help me do better work. It'll just help me get more business. I'm all for
that, I just resent the machine which has created this false deity. (I sounded
all serious there!)

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN

-John Vice
www.summertimestudios.com

From: Danny

Danny,

I'm not sure what platform you're referring to? As I mentioned before, when I
say that I feel PT is expensive, I'm talking about TDM based systems, not LE.
-John Vice
www.summertimestudios.com

From: Danny

Danny,

I'm not sure what platform you're referring to? As I mentioned before, when I
say that I feel PT is expensive, I'm talking about TDM based systems, not LE.
-John Vice
www.summertimestudios.com

I don't know enough about PT to debate between the models and such but
the lower end stuff is fairly cheap. I used the system that has the bix
automated mixer associated with it and didn't car for it. there were to
many buttons to push to be able to do the most simple thing. I like
analog boards so I would never consider one of the other "higher end"
set ups.

I know where you are coming from and the only reason I would consider PT
is because there are some clients I have that just don't get it and if
they don't get it then I won't get money. It is that simple. If you need
to sell someone brown ice-cream because they don't like chocolate then
you do it -

Geoff Wood

EggHd wrote:
That's fine. Especially if that choice is made on grounds *other*
than "If I don't get ProTools I won't get work because the perception
is (for
whatever reason) that only ProTools is 'Professional' ".

I personally don't know anybody in that mindset.

I have many friends who use DP, Nuendo, Cool Edit, and everything
else.

They all make their choices, do great work and stay busy.

What is the issue with Pro Tools? use it or not. Who gives a rats
ass?

Unfortunately CUSTOMERS often seem to think that only ProTools is
Professional.

geoff

ScotFraser

I can forsee clients saying, "Oh, you
guys only have Mix and not HD... I think I'll go down the street."

How is this any different than when people said "Oh, you guys have an MCI and
not a Studer... I think I'll go down the street."?

Like I said I'm looking for a PT system now.
I can't afford to be without it it seems. But I don't honestly think it will
help me do better work.

When the track count & plugin needs get really high, you MAY change that
assessment.

Scott Fraser
Dave Martin

"Bob Olhsson" wrote in message

The turnover rate is more like once every five years except for folks who
seem to believe they are crippled if they don't have the very latest gizmo
to brag about. Myself, I'm utterly amazed people think of Pro Tools as

being
expensive.

I bought a PT D-24 based system in 1996, upgraded to a Mix card when it came
out (fairly inexpensive), and waited until 2 months ago to go to an HD3
Accel. Bob, as usual is right. All things considered, it is an inexpensive
system. My console alone cost (7 years ago) more than 4 times what I've
spent on Digidesign stuff up to now. And the console can't record audio. And
that doesn't even compare the investment I have in analog compressors to the
complete PT system...

--
Dave Martin
Java Jive Studio

Ty Ford

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 16:55:12 -0400, Geoff Wood wrote
(in article ):

Chris! wrote:
the feel-good
factor of not supporting an autocratic company.

Digidesign is "a despotic ruler"? How do you figure?

They had the advantage of being first on the block. They contiued with the
locking of people into investing in their software AND hardware (arguably)
because of their restrictive business model rather than technical reasons.

geoff

Well One of the first on the block. I remember doing spreadsheet articles for
Radio World about DAWs. The first article had 12 different "systems" ranging
for $49 to over $250,000.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

EggHd

Unfortunately CUSTOMERS often seem to think that only ProTools is
Professional.

Good point but kinda sad.

---------------------------------------

EggHd

Well, your friends are actually doing work, and probably either have
already dealt with or don't have to deal with people who call them up
saying "I want to record a CD. Do you have ProTools? How much do you
charge an hour?"

I called someone once on a record project I was overseeing and talked about
that person producing the album and asked if he used pro tools. he said I use
cool edit and I said right the same thing really.

He got the gig. No biggie. But that's just me.

The person who perceives that he's losing money because he doesn't
have it. A successful studio owner friend of mine in the Bay area has
a good analog setup, but he was pretty much forced into buying ADATs
several years back because budgets (even those of his regular clients
who loved his room and his work) could no longer support analog tape.

Then you had the ADAT VS Da88 wars.

---------------------------------------
reddred

"EggHd" wrote in message
[...]

I think the nature of these things is that nobody really wins these wars,
because it's all obsolete sooner or later anyway. Some people make more
money than others.

What always does suprise me is how emotional people get about the products
they go with. I guess it's a side effect of all the anxiety that goes into
making the decision in the first place.

jb

david

In article
, Bob
Olhsson wrote:

Myself, I'm utterly amazed people think of Pro Tools as being
expensive.

That makes two of us.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

www.CelebrationSound.com
ScotFraser

I like what PT
does, and how it does it. What I don't like is the expense. I feel that it is
way too costly for what it is.

What's expensive is sitting in a $200/hour studio with world class musicians
waiting for a native system to reboot, or waiting for a "Save" that takes a
minute instead of seconds, or redoing takes because the DAW didn't punch in
until 2 seconds after you hit record.

Scott Fraser

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

I called someone once on a record project I was overseeing and talked about
that person producing the album and asked if he used pro tools. he said I use
cool edit and I said right the same thing really.

He got the gig. No biggie. But that's just me.

It's not just you, there are others like you. But I'll bet that by the
time you got around to asking that question, you had a good idea of
the scope of the project and the contribution of the person you were
hiring. For one of those "high profile Mix Magazine article potential"
projects where one studio isn't good enough and the project moves from
place to place, often only by transferring files, it really helps for
everyone to use the same or at least a highly compatible system so
they each hear the same thing. Of course they could all use Cool Edit,
too. But I don't need to explain that to you.

Then you had the ADAT VS Da88 wars.

I didn't realize there was a war, but there were definitely biases. On
the other hand, you could rent whatever the client wanted or the
project required (if it's a mobile project) pretty easily, and little
if any training is required to use the "other" recorder. If you wanted
me to use ProTools on a project and gave me the system, it would be
weeks before I could do anything but push the Record button. That
might be enough, though.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Mike Rivers

In article writes:

I currently have track counts that preclude the use of PTLE.

Bounce. Yeah, I know, the clients want to keep all of those tracks in
case they want to change something later on. Gets back to what the
clients want. Unfortunately there are too many clients who don't know
where they're going so they use whatever gives them the most options.
Some finish their projects.

What I don't like is the expense. I feel that it is
way too costly for what it is. According to Bob and Dave, it's not expensive
at all. If nothing else gets settled, I think we can agree that the term
"expensive" is relative.

Of course. Some people simply don't worry that a $200 mic might be as
good as a $2,000 mic because they KNOW that the $2,000 mic will do the
job and it's more expensive to waste time than to just get the job
done. It might cost a lot less to buy a Cool Edit system and a
Powercore than to buy a ProTools system, but you may spend lots more
money (though unlikely the cost of the PT system on a single project)
trying to accomplish what you could using PT.

I don't try to do everything for everybody. If someone comes up with a
project that I will have to accomplish in a way that's unfamiliar or
makes the client uncomfortable, I'd rather send him elsewhere and not
be bothered. That's why I never have to mix 60 tracks. Your projects
and need for paying clients are probably different.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Mike Rivers

In article writes:

Then you had the ADAT VS Da88 wars.

I think the nature of these things is that nobody really wins these wars,
because it's all obsolete sooner or later anyway. Some people make more
money than others.

Both the ADAT and DA88 had a pretty long run. The problem with all
software-based systems (not singling out Digidesign here) is that
everyone expects that they will be obsolete much quicker than hardware
so the manufacturers happily accommodate that expectation.

While your Mix24 system might work just as well today as it did when
you bought it, and you can (and have) enhanced it with better A/D and
D/A converters than when it was born, you can't use the latest
plug-ins, you can't upgrade the software to the newest version (which,
may I remind you, has always been the promise of software-based
systems - IT WILL NEVER GO OUT OF DATE!!) and you can't run on the
latest computers. There are more ways in which it can be left in an
unrepairable state.

What always does suprise me is how emotional people get about the products
they go with. I guess it's a side effect of all the anxiety that goes into
making the decision in the first place.

Or the inability to make a decision in the first or second place and
get down to work.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
EggHd

It's not just you, there are others like you. But I'll bet that by the
time you got around to asking that question, you had a good idea of
the scope of the project and the contribution of the person you were
hiring.

Right. I was hiring the person. What he used didn't matter. If it was adats
it wouldn't have mattered.

If you wanted
me to use ProTools on a project and gave me the system, it would be
weeks before I could do anything but push the Record button.

That's a great point.

---------------------------------------
EggHd

While your Mix24 system might work just as well today as it did when
you bought it, and you can (and have) enhanced it with better A/D and
D/A converters than when it was born, you can't use the latest
plug-ins, you can't upgrade the software to the newest version (which,
may I remind you, has always been the promise of software-based
systems - IT WILL NEVER GO OUT OF DATE!!) and you can't run on the
latest computers.

Right. But a mix system will work with the latest PT software and OS systems.
It's just now there are some plug ins only made for HD.

---------------------------------------

EggHd

OK, so that gives it maybe another year. I'll bet they'll come up with
a latest ProTools that will run on HD (and whatever comes after it)
and won't run on Mix.

Correct. They just announced that the latest software update is the last for
mix and I believe is has a couple of features don't work on mix.

I know many people stull using os 9 and 5.1 software who are happy campers.

---------------------------------------
david

In article , EggHd
wrote:

I know many people stull using os 9 and 5.1 software who are happy campers.

My place still runs PT 5.1.3 and OS 9.2.2 and the damn software never,
and I mean never crashes. And I got HD hardware.

Only the recent version 6.4 with the auto sample bump for plug ins has
piqued my interest.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

www.CelebrationSound.com
EggHd

Only the recent version 6.4 with the auto sample bump for plug ins has
piqued my interest.

I just mixed a track this week using that feature (auto delay compensation) and
I found it to be a great feature. To my ears a lot a plug in induced smear was
gone.

---------------------------------------

EggHd

I'm still using Version 1.something of Fast EDdit on a 266 MHz Pentium
II running Win98.

My laptop is a MAC "Lombard" G3 333 running OS 9.2.2. I can't use the latest
software but this is super stable.

---------------------------------------
Dave Martin

Yep. That's the single best feature I've found with 6.4, too. On the other
hand, I moved from a Mix system with two vintage cards to an HD3 Accell. and
2 192's - a big step in every direction.
--
Dave Martin
Java Jive Studio

"EggHd" wrote in message
Only the recent version 6.4 with the auto sample bump for plug ins has
piqued my interest.

I just mixed a track this week using that feature (auto delay

compensation) and
I found it to be a great feature. To my ears a lot a plug in induced

smear was
gone.

EggHd

Yep. That's the single best feature I've found with 6.4, too. On the other
hand, I moved from a Mix system with two vintage cards to an HD3 Accell. and
2 192's - a big step in every direction.

Right.