Danny

Default Q: ProTools - hardware needed?

What is the minimum hardware/software package for ProTools? Is there any
version that I can use motu 2408 mkII's with or will I have to buy some
sort of outboard box/mixer or other?

I use cubase but I am trying to be more compatible with others. I do
know I can export and have done it for a long time but it wouldn't hurt
me to have pt if is isn't too much - so I am thinking about the purchase.

Thanks

Danny Taddei

Danny

I know the names of things like mbox and so on but I would like to know
from experience, just what works and what I can expect from it. How
good, how reliable, all the good info before I buy stuff....

thanks again

Danny wrote:

What is the minimum hardware/software package for ProTools? Is there any
version that I can use motu 2408 mkII's with or will I have to buy some
sort of outboard box/mixer or other?

I use cubase but I am trying to be more compatible with others. I do
know I can export and have done it for a long time but it wouldn't hurt
me to have pt if is isn't too much - so I am thinking about the purchase.

Thanks

Danny Taddei

EricK

Danny wrote:
What is the minimum hardware/software package for ProTools? Is there any
version that I can use motu 2408 mkII's with or will I have to buy some
sort of outboard box/mixer or other?

You will not be able to use ProTools software with the MOTU hardware.
ProTools only will work with ProTools hardware. The minimum investment
to get into ProTools will be with an Mbox. Check out Digi's site to see
if your computer will be compatible.

--
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills
Multi-Track Masters on CD-ROM
www.Raw-Tracks.com

orbb

Danny wrote:

What is the minimum hardware/software package for ProTools? Is there any
version that I can use motu 2408 mkII's with or will I have to buy some
sort of outboard box/mixer or other?

I use cubase but I am trying to be more compatible with others. I do
know I can export and have done it for a long time but it wouldn't hurt
me to have pt if is isn't too much - so I am thinking about the purchase.

Thanks

Danny Taddei

I would to go the Digidesign's website and look in the user conference
message boards. There are a lot of sticky posts offering advice on
this issue
Danny

orbb wrote:

I would to go the Digidesign's website and look in the user conference
message boards. There are a lot of sticky posts offering advice on
this issue

That may be a good idea... though I trust the folks here a bit more ;-)

Danny

EricK wrote:

Danny wrote:

What is the minimum hardware/software package for ProTools? Is there
any version that I can use motu 2408 mkII's with or will I have to buy
some sort of outboard box/mixer or other?

You will not be able to use ProTools software with the MOTU hardware.
ProTools only will work with ProTools hardware. The minimum investment
to get into ProTools will be with an Mbox. Check out Digi's site to see
if your computer will be compatible.

Thanks for that. I did go all through the site. I reposted a trailer to
my original post clarifying but you probably didn't see it. I am more
after the -does it work- factor. I think the mbox it probably all I need
to be compatible with other studios but are there any real draw backs or
bad reputations that go with it.

I have used protools before and though I don't know if it was the
operator's fault, we had all kinds of dropped tracks and screw ups. The
studio in question was spotless, in San Diego, in case anyone knows them.

Thanks for your help, if you have more I would love it.

Danny

Danny

Mike Rivers wrote:

There's ProTools Free, but it doesn't work beyond Windows 98. In
concept, Digidesign hardware is the "key" to opening the software.

Of course there is cost but I was hoping to not add a new nest under my
studio.

Have you used the cheap mbox set up and do you know if the mbox works well?

danny

ScotFraser

You will not be able to use ProTools software with the MOTU hardware.
ProTools only will work with ProTools hardware. The minimum investment
to get into ProTools will be with an Mbox. Check out Digi's site to see
if your computer will be compatible.

Well, there is ProTools Free, which works with Sound Manager (internal Apple
sound hardware) but I don't know if that's still available.

Scott Fraser
Danny

ScotFraser wrote:

You will not be able to use ProTools software with the MOTU hardware.
ProTools only will work with ProTools hardware. The minimum investment
to get into ProTools will be with an Mbox. Check out Digi's site to see
if your computer will be compatible.

Well, there is ProTools Free, which works with Sound Manager (internal Apple
sound hardware) but I don't know if that's still available.

Scott Fraser

Probably not what the doctor ordered either. I have no problem spending
a little for one of the small systems if they actually work. I need to
be compatible (in the minds of PT users) with PT users. I know how to
transfer files but if they don't they get wiggy on me..... a few bucks
and no wiggies... that's worth it.

Geoff Wood

EricK wrote:
Danny wrote:
What is the minimum hardware/software package for ProTools? Is there
any version that I can use motu 2408 mkII's with or will I have to
buy some sort of outboard box/mixer or other?

You will not be able to use ProTools software with the MOTU hardware.
ProTools only will work with ProTools hardware. The minimum investment
to get into ProTools will be with an Mbox. Check out Digi's site to
see if your computer will be compatible.

Or even better, use whatever hardware you like, and any software you like,
apart from ProTools.

geoff

Danny

Geoff Wood wrote:

EricK wrote:

Danny wrote:

What is the minimum hardware/software package for ProTools? Is there
any version that I can use motu 2408 mkII's with or will I have to
buy some sort of outboard box/mixer or other?

You will not be able to use ProTools software with the MOTU hardware.
ProTools only will work with ProTools hardware. The minimum investment
to get into ProTools will be with an Mbox. Check out Digi's site to
see if your computer will be compatible.

Or even better, use whatever hardware you like, and any software you like,
apart from ProTools.

geoff

I've got a small client base that is familiar with ProTools and I use
Cubase/motu set up. I need the protools to keep the natives from getting
restless.

Danny

so what wrote:

now I owe you a six pack

If that pans out y'all come back and let us know!

Si Senior :-) and I will bring cervesas with a smilie face too.

I am going to call protools guys as soon as I get a chance and see what
they say - stay tuned

Danny

Digidesign has spoken -

There is no way that their software will work with other outboard gear.
You must go through their inboxes. Their digi002 rack mount has 1 light
pipe in that can absorb an 8 track. In my case, the digi 002 will give
me 16 tracks in and out using my other a/d/a boxes at a list price of $1295.

oh well, it was nice to think I could get all 32 of my tracks in but 16
will do.

Thanks everyone

EggHd

Or even better, use whatever hardware you like, and any software you like,
apart from ProTools.

Why is that better?

---------------------------------------
EggHd

oh well, it was nice to think I could get all 32 of my tracks in but 16
will do.

I believe if you also use the spdf you can get 2 more for 18 I/O.

How many I/0 does your motu box have?

---------------------------------------
Danny

EggHd wrote:

oh well, it was nice to think I could get all 32 of my tracks in but 16
will do.

I believe if you also use the spdf you can get 2 more for 18 I/O.

How many I/0 does your motu box have?

---------------------------------------

It can actually go up to 72 I think though you don't need to say
it....... I have 32 in/out now and will be adding another 16 soon just
so I fill up my mixer, and cuz it'll sound so cool to say I have it :-)

Geoff Wood

Danny wrote:
Geoff Wood wrote:

EricK wrote:

Danny wrote:

What is the minimum hardware/software package for ProTools? Is
there any version that I can use motu 2408 mkII's with or will I
have to buy some sort of outboard box/mixer or other?

You will not be able to use ProTools software with the MOTU
hardware. ProTools only will work with ProTools hardware. The
minimum investment to get into ProTools will be with an Mbox. Check
out Digi's site to see if your computer will be compatible.

Or even better, use whatever hardware you like, and any software you
like, apart from ProTools.

geoff

I've got a small client base that is familiar with ProTools and I use
Cubase/motu set up. I need the protools to keep the natives from
getting restless.

Just tell them it's ProTools and they'll make comments like "Jeepers,
ProTools wasn't this weasy to use last time I tried !".

Naa, just get what you need, ProTools if absolutely necessary. But don't
plan on being able to use your MOTU - even if it ispossible at the mo' ,
don't count on it remaining the case in the future with such an autocratic
company.

geoff

Geoff Wood

EggHd wrote:
Or even better, use whatever hardware you like, and any software
you like, apart from ProTools.

Why is that better?

Depending on the app, superior workflow, more CHOICE, and the feel-good
factor of not supporting an autocratic company.

geoff

Danny

Geoff Wood wrote:

EggHd wrote:

Or even better, use whatever hardware you like, and any software
you like, apart from ProTools.

Why is that better?

Depending on the app, superior workflow, more CHOICE, and the feel-good
factor of not supporting an autocratic company.

geoff

I agree. i have worked in pt before and choose anything else over it. I
really like cubase.

PT got to be the thing because it was the first system that worked well.
it isn't the best at all anymore but people don't know anything but what
they hear.

Danny

Geoff Wood wrote:

Danny wrote:y now I owe you a six pack

You can buy me a couple of DOZEN beers for the recommendation that you
investigate using an alternative (ANY alternative) to ProTools. Most
options are less expensive, easier to use, and from companies with less
restrictive business models. And choose right you can still load in other
peoples' ProTool projects.

geoff

Like I said to your other post, I couldn't agree with you more. I like
anything better then PT but people are dumb and don't know. I have some
folks that want some tracks done but they are mixing in a pt post house
and want to record in PT. I tried to explain that the tracks import just
fine but stopped trying to explain when they were rolling there eyes and
putting away their wallets. You have to do what the wallet is telling
you to do........

I may track everything in cubase and not tell them. I can transfer it
over in someone else's nightmare... ummm I mean pt studio and give it to
them like that but I might just buy the digi002 set up and be done with it.

Chris!

the feel-good
factor of not supporting an autocratic company.

Digidesign is "a despotic ruler"? How do you figure?

--
Chris White, Freelance Advertising Writer & Voice Overs*
Email: Web: www.chriswhite.com

EggHd

Why is that better?

Depending on the app, superior workflow, more CHOICE, and the feel-good
factor of not supporting an autocratic company.

But that's just opinion. What if the choice is pro tools?

---------------------------------------
ScotFraser

The
software/hardware combination, in and of itself, in no way, shape, or form
justifies the costs.

The justification of the cost resides in the fact that ProTools works in
situations where native DAWs don't, such as extremely high track counts with
lots of CPU intensive plugins involved. And that is something that has value.

ProTools. That may be the only words your client recognizes. Chances are
(s)he won't know Manley, Great River, or even Neumann. But they know ProTools.

For those people "ProTools" is a generic term that simply means a computer DAW.
When people ask me if I have ProTools & I tell them I use Digital Performer,
the non-DAW savvy are satisfied with that, & those who know what's up ask if I
can transfer files between PT & DP. For most, the term "ProTools" is really
just like "Kleenex".

Scott Fraser
Lorin David Schultz

"Danny" wrote in message

I think the mbox it probably all I need
to be compatible with other studios but are there any real draw backs

or
bad reputations that go with it.

I use an mbox and have never had an issue. I have to keep the buffers
set pretty high, but that might have more to do with my laptop than the
hardware/software. Not that it matters... the mbox has an analog input
monitor control for real, no-mixer-required zero-latency monitoring.

There are times when I'd like to track more than two inputs at once, and
for those situations I'm thinking about getting a 002R. The only
benefit would be more inputs though. The software is identical.

Your question was "Does it work?" From where I sit, the answer is yes,
better than other stuff I've tried. It's a closed system, so it doesn't
always play nice with other stuff (like you can't do anything useful
with your MOTU software and you have to use pt-specific plugs), but the
benefit is that the stuff that's supposed to work does.

I have used protools before and though I don't know if it was the
operator's fault, we had all kinds of dropped tracks and screw ups.

The
studio in question was spotless, in San Diego, in case anyone knows

them.

I screwed-up a take and misplaced a file, but it was the result of a
mistake *I* made, not something wrong with the MBox or PT software.
That's what happens when you chat with the talent when you should really
be concentrating on what you're doing...

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Ty Ford

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 23:56:38 -0400, John wrote
(in article ):

From: "Chris!"

Digidesign is "a despotic ruler"? How do you figure?

hmmm... maybe you should read up on PT and how it actually works. The
software/hardware combination, in and of itself, in no way, shape, or form
justifies the costs. Instead, digi has carved out a most enviable niche and
fully realizes that clients will recognize the name ProTools and ask for it
specifically. Thus, their pricing is set so that the system is considered
more
of an investment in your future rather than being representative of tangible
worth.

That is opressive and abusive of their power. Man I wish I was majority
owner....
That negativity aside, I'm currently investigating my PT options, as I have
lost a couple of gigs to studios who don't sound better, but they have
ProTools. That may be the only words your client recognizes. Chances are
(s)he won't know Manley, Great River, or even Neumann. But they know
ProTools.

-John Vice
www.summertimestudios.com

I'll have to disagree with that position. My first DAW cost $46,000. That was
in 1991. The Digi 001 I bought about four years ago for $750 does more and
sounds better. The Digi 002 I bought last year sounds better than the Digi
001 and for has quite a few nice features that were added to the Digi 001's
impressive menu.

I now have the 001 and 002. I consider them real bargains.

The idea that software and hardware integration is trivial, given the number
of systems out there today, is incorrect.

I certainly agree that Pro Tools is an investment in my future. I make my
living with these tools every day. I, in no way, consider Digidesign as
oppressive or abusing their power. Their power is strictly limited by the
market. If their gear didn't work, they wouldn't be around.

The sound quality differences to which you refer could exist for many
different reasons other than Pro Tools. Even Pro Tools can't save a poorly
wired, poorly designed or poorly operated facility. I'm not saying yours is
among those. I'm just making a point.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Danny

Lorin David Schultz wrote:

I screwed-up a take and misplaced a file, but it was the result of a
mistake *I* made, not something wrong with the MBox or PT software.
That's what happens when you chat with the talent when you should really
be concentrating on what you're doing...

Thanks for you input. I think I will get the 002r myself and that will
give me 16 tracks using some of my other gear.

EggHd

When I was able to say "Ampex" and
"Soundcraft" real potential clients were more interested in what else
I had and what I did.

And there were the Neve/Studer type clients who wouldn't book without that
combo.

---------------------------------------
John

From: Ty Ford

I'll have to disagree with that position. My first DAW cost $46,000. That was

in 1991. The Digi 001 I bought about four years ago for $750 does more and
sounds better. The Digi 002 I bought last year sounds better than the Digi
001 and for has quite a few nice features that were added to the Digi 001's
impressive menu.

I now have the 001 and 002. I consider them real bargains.

I wasn't referring to the LE systems. Only the TDM based systems.

The idea that software and hardware integration is trivial, given the number
of systems out there today, is incorrect.

Ty, I didn't mean to imply that hw/sw integration was trivial. On the
contrary, I truly embrace the idea. It's exactly what I want in a DAW.

I certainly agree that Pro Tools is an investment in my future. I make my
living with these tools every day. I, in no way, consider Digidesign as
oppressive or abusing their power. Their power is strictly limited by the
market. If their gear didn't work, they wouldn't be around.

My point was that the market doesn't demand PT simply because it's a great
tool. There is demand for PT because "everybody's doing it." And this concept
is what helps create the high price for PT systems.

The sound quality differences to which you refer could exist for many
different reasons other than Pro Tools. Even Pro Tools can't save a poorly
wired, poorly designed or poorly operated facility.

I wasn't implying that the reason these particular studios sound bad is because
of PT. It's usually a case of poor engineering. I apologize for the
confusion.

I'm not saying yours is
among those. I'm just making a point.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at
www.tyford.com

-John Vice
www.summertimestudios.com
EggHd

My point was that the market doesn't demand PT simply because it's a great
tool. There is demand for PT because "everybody's doing it." And this concept
is what helps create the high price for PT systems.

You are implying that people who use pro tools are doing so only becasue other
use it? That's insulting.

---------------------------------------
Geoff Wood

Danny wrote:
Geoff Wood wrote:

PT got to be the thing because it was the first system that worked
well. it isn't the best at all anymore but people don't know anything
but what they hear.

Same reason that NS-10s are the studio monitor of choice, and that creative
people only use Macs.

geoff

Geoff Wood

Chris! wrote:
the feel-good
factor of not supporting an autocratic company.

Digidesign is "a despotic ruler"? How do you figure?

They had the advantage of being first on the block. They contiued with the
locking of people into investing in their software AND hardware (arguably)
because of their restrictive business model rather than technical reasons.

geoff