Jack A. Zucker

I got sick of all Sonar 3's bugs and went out and bought a Digi 002r. It
shipped with 6.1.1 of pro tools. This version was extremely buggy with
crashes and endless loops that required task manager to get out of. For
example, trying to quit without saving generated an assertion dialog and no
matter what you did, you could not exit the program except to kill the task
in task manager. Additionally the wdm wave driver couldn't be seen by XP so
I could never configure it as a player from Windows. The ASIO driver worked
ok in Sonar.

I upgraded to 6.4 pro tools and the driver still couldn't be seen by
windows. PTLE seemed more stable though. At least I could quit without
saving and exit the program normally. I called customer support and spent
probably 4 hours total on the phone with them, installing, re-installing,
deleting registry keys, drivers, booting in safe mode, running in diagnostic
mode, etc. I was very unimpressed with the level of support I got from a
$1200 program.

On the other hand, the latest Maudio drivers are rock solid. I also recently
switched from maudio to a presonus firepod because I wanted the balanced
outputs. I got 2 of the first 15 firepods manufactured which unfortunately
had bad firmware but presonus read about my issues on usenet and emailed me
and drop shipped me a new unit which worked fine with no issues. Drivers
installed and just worked with 2ms latency in Sonar. No monkeying around
with registry entries or other sillyness.

I'm sure Pro Tools HD is a great system but I can't see spending $1200 for a
PTLE system nor would I spent $500 on a USB 1 based system and suffer
through 10ms latency in order to say that I'm using Pro Tools...

So, I'm back to sonar 3 though I'll probably upgrade to Sonar 4. :-)

--
Experience a revolutionary way to approach the instrument.
Introducing Sheets of Sound for Guitar

Check it out at:
http://www.sheetsofsound.net
"EggHd" wrote in message
Unfortunately CUSTOMERS often seem to think that only ProTools is
Professional.

Good point but kinda sad.

---------------------------------------

Mondoslug1

"EggHd" wrote in message
Unfortunately CUSTOMERS often seem to think that only ProTools is
Professional.

Good point but kinda sad.

---------------------------------------

Have to say Digi 001 works flawlessly with my PC(PCI not Firewire though) &
didn't have to tweak anything pretty much. That said, I'd rather use Nuendo
when given a choice.

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

Only the recent version 6.4 with the auto sample bump for plug ins has
piqued my interest.

I just mixed a track this week using that feature (auto delay compensation) and
I found it to be a great feature. To my ears a lot a plug in induced smear was
gone.

You mean ProTools has just come around to doing this? Geez, people
over on the Mackie forum have been bitching for years about the d8b
(and the new dxb) not doing it. They say "DAWs have been doing this
for years, why can't the console?" I just figured that this included
ProTools.

Mackie users have learned to set channel delays when they're using
plug-ins, and at least informally, Mackie has published the throughput
delay for all of their plug-ins and I/O cards so you can at least have
a starting point that's in the ballpark. The tool for that works well
in that you select the channel that has the plug-in, enter the delay,
and it delays all the other channels (but not that one) to match. It's
cumulative, too, so if you add another plug-in, or a plug-in on
another channel, they all get adjusted accordingly. You can run out of
delay time on the d8b, however, as at least one plug-in delays longer
than the maximum channel delay of 128 samples.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

EggHd

You mean ProTools has just come around to doing this?

You could do it manually before. You can read what delay the plug in is adding
and adjust.

---------------------------------------

Lorin David Schultz

"EggHd" wrote in message

You are implying that people who use pro tools are doing so only

becasue other
use it? That's insulting.

Well, in John's defence, that's not too far from the truth in my case.
Now that I have it, I've found that there are lots of reasons I may
choose to use Pro Tools that have nothing to do with what anyone else
uses. I gotta admit though, my primary reason for buying a Digidesign
product was compatibility with other people and facilities.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

EggHd

Well, in John's defence, that's not too far from the truth in my case.
Now that I have it, I've found that there are lots of reasons I may
choose to use Pro Tools that have nothing to do with what anyone else
uses. I gotta admit though, my primary reason for buying a Digidesign
product was compatibility with other people and facilities.

Fair enough.

EggHd

So, nyeh. :P

I always wondered how to spell that. Not that I would ever get it right......