Logan Shaw

Pooh Bear wrote:
Logan Shaw wrote:
Phil Allison wrote:
"Logan Shaw"

Are the strings normally grounded on acoustic guitars with pickups?

** Yes - it is standard practice on all electric guitars.

Doesn't that seem like a red herring since we are talking about
an acoustic guitar and not an electric?

The OP referred to his guitar as a "Guild electric/acoustic guitar".

I assume that means an electric guitar with a voice box rather than a solid
body type - and *not* an acoustic guitar with an added pickup.

Just to clear things up, here are some photos of a Guild F4CE:

http://home.austin.rr.com/logan/guild-f4ce/

Unfortunately, it's just about impossible to see inside to tell what
the pickup is like. All I can tell is that it there is a relatively
thick (compared to the super-thin one that goes to the 1/4" output
plug) cable headed towards the bridge. It's probably more than two
conductors based on thickness. I can't see anything more because
the X-brace blocks the view.

- Logan
Logan Shaw

Pooh Bear wrote:
Logan Shaw wrote:

However, then I got one of those two-prong to three-prong adapters
that one uses if one wants to avoid proper grounding. Mine conveniently
has the ground screw tab thing broken off so I am assured of no
connection.

Do you have good life insurance ? Do your gigging friends have good life
insurance ?

This is not the kind of amp you'd take to a gig. ;-)

But no need to worry: I just plugged the amp into the adapter thing
for a few short moments to test out whether that had an effect on the
sound. For the past ten years or so, that little ground-cheating
adapter thingy has sat in my "box of random electronic crud" that I
keep under the bed.

Lifting an earth ( especially cutting a ground lug ) to cure hum is a sure
sign of possible trouble coming your way.

Actually, I was using this little adapter dealy to test whether there
would be more hum if the amp was not properly grounded, and sure enough,
there was more hum that way.

- Logan

Phil Allison

"Logan Shaw"

Just to clear things up, here are some photos of a Guild F4CE:

http://home.austin.rr.com/logan/guild-f4ce/

** Excellent pics - is that a volume knob on the side near the neck ??

Is there a pre-amp with a battery inside ??

Unfortunately, it's just about impossible to see inside to tell what

the pickup is like.

** Piezo electric for sure - mounted somewhere under the bridge.

All I can tell is that it there is a relatively
thick (compared to the super-thin one that goes to the 1/4" output
plug) cable headed towards the bridge.

** So there is ** SOMETHING ** in between ???

Did you never dream it might be an idea to describe it ?

Is it a box or just the volume pot ?

Based on the pics, that type of guitar does no have earthed strings. The PU
is supposed to be shielded well enough to do the job - but things can go
wrong. Earthing the strings will not be so simple - but may be the easiest
fix.

............. Phil

Logan Shaw

Phil Allison wrote:

"Logan Shaw"

Just to clear things up, here are some photos of a Guild F4CE:

http://home.austin.rr.com/logan/guild-f4ce/

** Excellent pics - is that a volume knob on the side near the neck ??

Is there a pre-amp with a battery inside ??

Actually, what you are seeing is a pair of concentric knobs that control
bass and treble, but directly behind it (that you can't see) is a volume
knob.

** So there is ** SOMETHING ** in between ???

Did you never dream it might be an idea to describe it ?

Is it a box or just the volume pot ?

Yes, there is indeed something inbetween the pickup and the jack.
It's a box. It's really tough to tell more because it's so hard
to see it. The box has leads running out to a 9V battery. In
my particular guitar's case, the leads to the battery have been
partially replaced with some old car stereo speaker wire I had
lying around since I accidentally ripped one off trying to get
that battery up in there. (Soldering to those battery terminals
that are almost 6 inches back up in there was a serious pain in
the butt.)

Based on the pics, that type of guitar does no have earthed strings. The PU
is supposed to be shielded well enough to do the job - but things can go
wrong. Earthing the strings will not be so simple - but may be the easiest
fix.

Still, seems odd that mine doesn't hum but the OP's does. But mine
is an F4CE-NT, whereas his is an F4CE-NTHR. I have no idea what
the difference in model numbers indicates, so it might indicate
different electronics or it might indicate something else (finish,
whatever). But I guess if he takes it to a guitar shop, that's
probably not a bad thing. At least they can tell him whether or
not it's broken...

By the way, regarding grounding strings, there are times when
you're playing that your fingers need to be off the strings.
For instance, when playing harmonics, you need to get your finger
off as quickly as possible. Or, another thing I do sometimes[1]
is let some notes ring and then grab the head (about where the
logo is) and wiggle it to get a subtle vibrato effect. Anyway,
these tend to be times you're playing quietly, so it'd be a
bummer to hear a hum just then.

- Logan

[1] To my knowledge, this isn't bad for the guitar. But if
someone out there is cringing in horror as they read this
and it really is, let me know, of course...

Phil Allison

"Logan Shaw"

By the way, regarding grounding strings, there are times when
you're playing that your fingers need to be off the strings.
For instance, when playing harmonics, you need to get your finger
off as quickly as possible. Or, another thing I do sometimes[1]
is let some notes ring and then grab the head (about where the
logo is) and wiggle it to get a subtle vibrato effect. Anyway,
these tend to be times you're playing quietly, so it'd be a
bummer to hear a hum just then.

** Go tell Fender, Gibson, Rickenbacker, Gretsch and dozens of other
makers your ideas.

They all ground the strings and there is more hum when the player lifts
has his hand off them.

That is the way things are.

............ Phil

Richard Crowley

"Laurence Payne" wrote...
Is your system properly grounded? I believe some backward
nations (like the US ;-) allow ungrounded mains power connectors.

Au contraire, grounded outlets are required everywhere for
new contstruction (AFAIK). And GFCI for anywhere where
there is moisture (bath, kitchen, outdoors, etc.) Furthermore,
ground-lift "adapters" (as mentioned by Mr. Shaw) are illegal
in all the jurisdictions I am familiar with.

Scott Dorsey

Richard Crowley wrote:
"Laurence Payne" wrote...
Is your system properly grounded? I believe some backward
nations (like the US ;-) allow ungrounded mains power connectors.

Au contraire, grounded outlets are required everywhere for
new contstruction (AFAIK). And GFCI for anywhere where
there is moisture (bath, kitchen, outdoors, etc.) Furthermore,
ground-lift "adapters" (as mentioned by Mr. Shaw) are illegal
in all the jurisdictions I am familiar with.

The code says that those adaptors can be used ONLY when connected to the
center screw of a box that is itself grounded, in order to provide a grounded
outlet in older buildings with ungrounded outlets.

Unfortunately, many of those older buildings use 2-conductor Romex or knob
and tube wiring, so the boxes are not grounded. Buildings wired with BX
cable, conduit, or 2-with-ground Romex are okay because there is a path
from the box to the panel ground.

On the other hand, 2-prong outlets ARE legal for new construction in Japan.
Hev

"Phil Allison" wrote in message
"Mike Rivers"

Earth your strings and get humbucking pickups. That's
the ticket for sure.

** The Parrot only took 8 hours to regurgitate my words.

Is this a record ?

Quote from 8 hours ago:

** Hey Mr NG parrot - remember these words:
" Hum bucking pickups" .
I expect to see them again real soon - from you.
Pretending they are yours.

........... Phil

I'm mainly a lurker in this NG but Mr Rivers has done much to help not only
me but a lot of others I'm sure.

While you have done much to detract from this NG lately.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: Shut up & get lost.

-Hev
find me here --
www.michaelROBOTSspringerBEGONE.com

ScotFraser

I believe some backward
nations (like the US ;-) allow ungrounded mains power connectors. BRBR

While not disputing that the US is indeed a backward nation, grounded power has
been required in all aplications for many decades. Electrical code in the US is
a matter of local jurisdiction, although they all tend to update to
approximately the same level of safety considerations en masse. Mexico is
another matter, where I have yet to see a grounded outlet in any application.

Scott Fraser
Laurence Payne

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 18:05:03 GMT, "Dave Martin"
wrote:

Are 3-prong power plugs the norm?

Yes. At least for new construction. However, you're not required to go in
and re-wire 50 year old houses to meet the newer codes.

That wasn't my question :-) Given that earthed receptacles are
available, is it the norm for equipment to be connected with a 3-prong
plug and cable? Or is the earth connection frequently ignored? My
(limited and doubtless out-of-date) knowledge of US equipment suggests
this might be the case.

Dave Martin

"Laurence Payne" wrote in message

That wasn't my question :-) Given that earthed receptacles are
available, is it the norm for equipment to be connected with a 3-prong
plug and cable? Or is the earth connection frequently ignored? My
(limited and doubtless out-of-date) knowledge of US equipment suggests
this might be the case.

In new electrical equipment, three pronged cables are the norm - most audio
equipment comes with standard IEC cables, which have three prongs.

--
Dave Martin
Java Jive Studio

Matt from Seattle

(snip)

Is your system properly grounded? I believe some backward nations
(like the US ;-) allow ungrounded mains power connectors. Is your
system running from a grounded power outlet?

First of all, not being a regular visitor to rec.audio.pro, I was
shocked to log back in to the group and discover that my innocuous
little guitar issue had kicked off something of a "flame war." So
while my personal feeling is that such dialogue is highly
unproductive, I certainly salute the passion to which all of you are
devoting to my problem!

In terms of the grounding issue, I have to admit I know jack-****
about electrical issues. All I know is that I'm plugging my guitar
into a Trace Acoustic amplifier, and plugging that amp into a standard
three-prong wall outlet (in a relatively new home) and still getting
the irritating hum that just can't be a normal phenomenon. As Logan
demonstrated earlier, as well, it's virtually impossible to see inside
my Guild guitar to determine exactly how it's wired and what the
pickup construction looks like.

So my plan of action is still to just take it into a guitar shop, plug
it in, and see what they would offer as a diagnosis. Hopefully they
won't rip me off or recommend some major overhaul if it's a relatively
simple fix, but I suppose that's the price I pay for not knowing much
about this stuff. In the meantime, I've been playing my Takamine
acoustic guitar with a Humbucker pickup and the sound has been much
cleaner, both through the mixer and through the amplifier. So at
least I've got a temporary backup plan.

Thanks again, everybody. Let me know if there are any final thoughts
or tests that I might perform at home -- I probably won't be taking
the guitar in for a few days still...

Logan Shaw

Laurence Payne wrote:

On 12 Sep 2004 16:34:09 GMT, (ScotFraser) wrote:

While not disputing that the US is indeed a backward nation, grounded power has
been required in all aplications for many decades. Electrical code in the US is
a matter of local jurisdiction, although they all tend to update to
approximately the same level of safety considerations en masse.

Are 3-prong power plugs the norm?

I'd have to say neither is the norma. There is a lot of both.

For instance, devices that use a "brick" transformer that plugs directly
into the outlet don't usually have a ground. It wouldn't help you much
anyway, since the only thing coming out is low-voltage DC. This gives
you the extra flexibility to rotate the annoying transformer 180 degrees
(assuming the blades of the plug are symmetrical; they are not always,
but they can be) so as to possibly not block the other receptacle that
you're not using.

Virtually all computer equipment (except stuff with wall wart transformers)
uses a three-prong plug. Virtually everything you might use outdoors
has a three-prong plug. Most tools are three-prong, but not all.

Most lamps are two-prong, but polarized (meaning the plug can only go
in one way, since one blade of the plug is wider). Televisions and
home stereo equipment tend to be two-prong polarized. Pro audio
equipment tends to be three-prong.

Newer things are more likely to be three-prong. Wall warts are about
the only thing made anymore that I know of which is two prong and
not polarized.

- Logan
Phil Allison

"Hev"
"Phil Allison"

I'm mainly a lurker in this NG but Mr Rivers has done much to help not

only
me but a lot of others I'm sure.

While you have done much to detract from this NG lately.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: Shut up & get lost.

** Hey - but Mike is parroting me.

So I am now helping feed the parrot.

You would not want the little feller to starve ???

.......... Phil

Phil Allison

"Mike Rivers" = Grand Poobah of Parrot Poop

Phil Allison

** Go tell Fender, Gibson, Rickenbacker, Gretsch and dozens of other
makers your ideas.

They all ground the strings and there is more hum when the player

lifts
has his hand off them.

That is the way things are.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'll take that as concurrence with my original statement that I'm
surprised that electric guitars work as well as they do.

** Mike has no idea he is describing himself.

He is the surprised one - because he is pig so ignorant.

Ciricular logic.....

** The parrots forte.

............. Phil

transducr

"Phil Allison" wrote in message ...
"Mike Rivers"

Earth your strings and get humbucking pickups. That's
the ticket for sure.

** The Parrot only took 8 hours to regurgitate my words.

Is this a record ?

Quote from 8 hours ago:

** Hey Mr NG parrot - remember these words:
" Hum bucking pickups" .
I expect to see them again real soon - from you.
Pretending they are yours.

awww...damn. when i saw the topic i thought it was an anti-Bush
thread. imagine my disappointment.

ScotFraser

Are 3-prong power plugs the norm?

The norm? Heck, it's the law!

Scott Fraser
Mike Rivers

In article writes:

In terms of the grounding issue, I have to admit I know jack-****
about electrical issues. All I know is that I'm plugging my guitar
into a Trace Acoustic amplifier, and plugging that amp into a standard
three-prong wall outlet (in a relatively new home) and still getting
the irritating hum that just can't be a normal phenomenon.

Have you tried a different cable? And does your guitar have
electronics and a battery inside?

Have you tried it in a different location? A different place in the
room (walk around with the guitar and see if the hum changes either in
volume or character) or take the rig into another room. While your
guitar doesn't have a magnetic pickup (at least I don't think so), the
type that's most susceptible to picking up noise from things like CRT
monitors, the combination of fairly high gain and a high input
impedance for a piezoelectric pickup could make it senstitive to stray
hum fields right at the internal preamp (if there is one).

So my plan of action is still to just take it into a guitar shop, plug
it in, and see what they would offer as a diagnosis.

That's reasonable. You might bring your amplifier and cable along so
you can determine who the guilty party is. If you get hum plugging the
guitar into two or three different amplifiers with different cables,
that points to the guitar. But if you can plug your guitar into an amp
at the shop using the cable you've been using, and it doesn't hum,
that points to the amplifier. And of course if you can find a cable
that doesn't cause hum with your amplifier . . . .

Hopefully they
won't rip me off or recommend some major overhaul if it's a relatively
simple fix, but I suppose that's the price I pay for not knowing much
about this stuff.

There's no reason why they should rip you off - if THEY know their
stuff. But don't be surprised if the answer you get is "they all do
that."

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Phil Allison

"Mike Rivers"
Matt from Seattle

In terms of the grounding issue, I have to admit I know jack-****
about electrical issues. All I know is that I'm plugging my guitar
into a Trace Acoustic amplifier, and plugging that amp into a standard
three-prong wall outlet (in a relatively new home) and still getting
the irritating hum that just can't be a normal phenomenon.

Have you tried a different cable? And does your guitar have
electronics and a battery inside?

** Read the thread - you lazy parrot.

So my plan of action is still to just take it into a guitar shop, plug
it in, and see what they would offer as a diagnosis.

That's reasonable. You might bring your amplifier and cable along so
you can determine who the guilty party is. If you get hum plugging the
guitar into two or three different amplifiers with different cables,
that points to the guitar. But if you can plug your guitar into an amp
at the shop using the cable you've been using, and it doesn't hum,
that points to the amplifier. And of course if you can find a cable
that doesn't cause hum with your amplifier . . . .

** What he find a cable and amp that makes him sound just like Eric
Clapton ????

Squawk ......squawk ....squawk ....

There's no reason why they should rip you off - if THEY know their
stuff. But don't be surprised if the answer you get is "they all do
that."

** Very likely that will be said by someone at some time.

All it proves is that hum it is a common fault with the product.

It may be due to moisture ingress near the piezo PU.

........... Phil

Scott Dorsey

In terms of the grounding issue, I have to admit I know jack-****
about electrical issues. All I know is that I'm plugging my guitar
into a Trace Acoustic amplifier, and plugging that amp into a standard
three-prong wall outlet (in a relatively new home) and still getting
the irritating hum that just can't be a normal phenomenon.

Okay, the simple rule is that everything needs to have one and only one
ground path to every other piece of equipment. Never two and never zero.
Draw out the system and the ground paths and see where they all go.

IF you are having a hum problem with an amp plugged into the wall with
nothing else plugged into it, it's not a grounding problem. There is a
ground path from the plug to the amp and nothing else.

If you are having a hum problem with the instrument plugged into the amp
and the amp plugged into the wall, either you have a broken ground lead on
the instrument or the cable, or it's not a grounding problem. If it's not
a grounding problem, it is an RF pickup problem, and moving around the
room and twisting will change the hum pitch and level.

IF it doesn't hum until you plug something into the amp outputs or a DI,
then you have a grounding problem.
Paul Stamler

"Matt from Seattle" wrote in message
om...

Yes. In the most basic setup I've tried, I'm simply plugging the
guitar into the amplifier, which is plugged into the wall. No mixers,
computers, or other components are part of the signal chain -- and the
hum still occurs. I've ruled out a bad cable as a possibility, and
the amp does just fine with my other guitar, so it sounds like my
Guild guitar pickup is the root of the problem as most people have
already suggested.

Either the pickup, or the internal preamp -- sounds like there's a bad
connection someplace inside the instrument. In either case, yes, it's time
to take it into the shop.

Peace,
Paul

Matt from Seattle

Cool. And just to be perfectly clear, there are no wires between
the guitar amp and the mixer. Literally, none. Right?

Nope, no other connections at all. Just the guitar, cable, and amp.
I still get the same loud buzzing/humming sound (similar to the noise
you get when you accidentally unplug your guitar from the amp without
killing the power) and it stops (almost totally) when I touch my
finger either of the metal jacks on the end of the cable.

What's your hypothesis?
Scott Dorsey

Matt from Seattle wrote:
Cool. And just to be perfectly clear, there are no wires between
the guitar amp and the mixer. Literally, none. Right?

Nope, no other connections at all. Just the guitar, cable, and amp.
I still get the same loud buzzing/humming sound (similar to the noise
you get when you accidentally unplug your guitar from the amp without
killing the power) and it stops (almost totally) when I touch my
finger either of the metal jacks on the end of the cable.

What's your hypothesis?

You have a ground problem, in that something is not grounded that should be.
Probably an internal problem on the guitar.