RLS

Default Rane PE-17 or Ashly PQX-571, any opinions?

Any constructive opinions?
(Other than putting both in the "PA junk" category?)
John Halliburton

I feel like a hook is slowly flowing past me, tempting me to bite...

If you actually have some legitamate question about parametric equalizers,
please be more specific, and provide some background about what use they are
needed.

Best regards,

John

Scott Dorsey

RLS wrote:
Any constructive opinions?
(Other than putting both in the "PA junk" category?)

They both work. They are both pretty good as "PA junk" gear goes. They
can both be upgraded a little bit with some tinkering. I'd probably pick
the Ashly personally.

In that price range, though, you could get a used Orban. I'd take the
Orban over either.

RLS

Apologies for not being more specific: I didn't mean to start a
controversy.

I want to experiment with a parametric eq to control bass response in
a home setting.

The common feaure of these two devices are that their filters don't
have constrained frequency ranges: they can be all be set, say, to
operate in the 20Hz-200Hz range.

Most other (affordable) devices don't offer this flexibiltiy.

Regards,
- rls
On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 02:42:27 GMT, "John Halliburton"
wrote:

I feel like a hook is slowly flowing past me, tempting me to bite...

If you actually have some legitamate question about parametric equalizers,
please be more specific, and provide some background about what use they are
needed.

Best regards,
John

Arny Krueger

"RLS" wrote in message

I want to experiment with a parametric eq to control bass response in
a home setting.

The common feaure of these two devices are that their filters don't
have constrained frequency ranges: they can be all be set, say, to
operate in the 20Hz-200Hz range.

Most other (affordable) devices don't offer this flexibiltiy.

Last time I wanted a parametric to fool with, I picked up a Behringer PEQ
2200 NIB for $59 including shipping on eBay. On the bench and in initial
use, it is just fine. Don't know how it will hold up, but for the price...
It's not in a mission-critical application.

RLS

Thanks for the advice.

As I wrote above:
the difference between these two and the Orban is that their filters
don't have constrained frequency ranges: they can all be set, say, to

On 11 Sep 2004 00:47:40 -0400, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

RLS wrote:
In that price range, though, you could get a used Orban. I'd take the
Orban over either.

Scott Dorsey

RLS wrote:

I want to experiment with a parametric eq to control bass response in
a home setting.

Never mind, then. That doesn't work very well.
Scott Dorsey

RLS wrote:

I want to experiment with a parametric eq to control bass response in
a home setting.

Never mind, then. That doesn't work very well.
agent86

Scott Dorsey wrote:

They both work. They are both pretty good as "PA junk" gear goes. They
can both be upgraded a little bit with some tinkering. I'd probably pick
the Ashly personally.

What sort of tinkering? Just curious, because I own the Ashly. I'd assume
swapping out opamps? What replacement would you suggest?

thanks.

Scott Dorsey

agent86 wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:

They both work. They are both pretty good as "PA junk" gear goes. They
can both be upgraded a little bit with some tinkering. I'd probably pick
the Ashly personally.

What sort of tinkering? Just curious, because I own the Ashly. I'd assume
swapping out opamps? What replacement would you suggest?

Swapping out opamps, and using better quality capacitors in the time
constants. I _think_ the Ashly also benefits from running ground busses
and cleaning the ground noise up a little bit, as well as installing
improved supply decoupling. And I think (like the Orban 622) you run
into stability problems with better supply decoupling unless you first
improve the grounds.

ScotFraser

As I wrote above:
the difference between these two and the Orban is that their filters
don't have constrained frequency ranges: they can all be set, say, to
operate in the 20Hz-200Hz range

Two of the Orban 642B's four bands cover that range, & the 2 channels can be
internally cascaded to provide 8 bands, four of which cover your desired range.

Scott Fraser