Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias

Default Replacement lamps for vintage audio

Been having bad luck lately with lamps from MCM and the like.

Anyone know a good source for high quality bi-pin, fuse-lamps, screw-base,
wedge-base lamps, etc?

6v, 8v, 12v mainly.

Thanks,
Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Trevor Wilson

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
. com...
Been having bad luck lately with lamps from MCM and the like.

Anyone know a good source for high quality bi-pin, fuse-lamps, screw-base,
wedge-base lamps, etc?

6v, 8v, 12v mainly.

**Not that it is any help to you, but these guys:

http://www.wagner.net.au/

Have an excellent range of lamps (and other service related stuff). Section
2 is what you need. As an Australian company, supply may be difficult, but I
will assist, if your order is a reasonable size.

BTW: I have been enjoying a fair degree of success using LumiledsT for
backlighting old receivers. Particularly old Marantz units. Blue LEDs are
vastly more efficient than incandescent for this purpose. The LumiledsT have
an excellent light spread and can light up a receiver's dial with minimal
LEDs and minimal power consumption. White LEDs are useful for other units.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair
David Nebenzahl

Mark D. Zacharias spake thus:

Been having bad luck lately with lamps from MCM and the like.

Anyone know a good source for high quality bi-pin, fuse-lamps, screw-base,
wedge-base lamps, etc?

6v, 8v, 12v mainly.

I was able to find some of them little "hot dog" bulbs (for a Marantz
receiver) right here in Berkeley at my favorite electronics store, Al
Lasher Electronics (http://www.allashers.com). They were 16 volts, I think.

Dunno if this will do you any good, as I'm not sure they do mail order
(but it may be worth checking), but I wanted to point out that there are
still a (very) few *real* electronics stores. This place has been around
since the 1940s, has tons of old stuff, and is as far from a Radio Shack
as is possible.

--
Pierre, mon ami. Jetez encore un Scientologiste
dans le baquet d'acide.

- from a posting in alt.religion.scientology titled
"France recommends dissolving Scientologists"
Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Trevor Wilson

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
Mark D. Zacharias spake thus:

Been having bad luck lately with lamps from MCM and the like.

Anyone know a good source for high quality bi-pin, fuse-lamps,
screw-base, wedge-base lamps, etc?

6v, 8v, 12v mainly.

I was able to find some of them little "hot dog" bulbs (for a Marantz
receiver) right here in Berkeley at my favorite electronics store, Al
Lasher Electronics (http://www.allashers.com). They were 16 volts, I
think.

**Old Marantz recievers were 8 Volt 200mA. Blue Lumileds are a MUCH better
choice. They last forever, consume far less power (around 15mA is plenty)
and look way cool.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias

Trevor Wilson wrote:
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
Mark D. Zacharias spake thus:

Been having bad luck lately with lamps from MCM and the like.

Anyone know a good source for high quality bi-pin, fuse-lamps,
screw-base, wedge-base lamps, etc?

6v, 8v, 12v mainly.

I was able to find some of them little "hot dog" bulbs (for a Marantz
receiver) right here in Berkeley at my favorite electronics store, Al
Lasher Electronics (http://www.allashers.com). They were 16 volts, I
think.

**Old Marantz recievers were 8 Volt 200mA. Blue Lumileds are a MUCH
better choice. They last forever, consume far less power (around 15mA
is plenty) and look way cool.

How exactly does that work with the LED's? Does one mount them using the old
lamp as a form? Do they require limiting resistors? Perhaps I should just
buy a few and experiment, eh?

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair
GregS

In article , "Mark D. Zacharias" wrote:
Trevor Wilson wrote:
[...]

Resistors required. Diodes not required but will help dissapation if on AC.
You will have to experiment to get the mounting
and diffusion.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair
David Nebenzahl

GregS spake thus:

In article , "Mark
D. Zacharias" wrote:

Trevor Wilson wrote:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
ers.com...

Mark D. Zacharias spake thus:

[...]

That's too bad, because the Marantz lamps are actually little fuses. It
would be nice if there were a snap-in replacement for them, complete
with resistor. As it is, it would be pretty difficult to put in a LED
and resistor without some pretty ugly jury-rigging.

(And yes, they are 8 volts.)

--
Pierre, mon ami. Jetez encore un Scientologiste
dans le baquet d'acide.

- from a posting in alt.religion.scientology titled
"France recommends dissolving Scientologists"
Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair
jack

All Electronics carries fuse-lamps.

I have used LED's -- suggest this -- you can get the surface mount variety
and mount several in series such that the forward voltage drop approximates
the voltage available, then use a resistor to limit current -- the SMT
devices can be attached to a rod of plexiglas -- they will last thousands of
hours if you limit the current to a few ma.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias

jack wrote:
All Electronics carries fuse-lamps.

I have used LED's -- suggest this -- you can get the surface mount
variety and mount several in series such that the forward voltage
drop approximates the voltage available, then use a resistor to limit
current -- the SMT devices can be attached to a rod of plexiglas --
they will last thousands of hours if you limit the current to a few
ma.

I have seen LED replacements for Marantz fuse lamps on eBay at 5.99 / ea.
plus freight. The pics don't really answer the question of how they are
built.

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair
don ward

Do a google search for Apex (surplus?) electronics in sun valley
california..... they have almost any archive electronic item you can
dream of

dnw