Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default Marantz PMD221 working normally?

Hi, All,

I recently bought a new Marantz PMD221, which I really like. I have
noticed that the unit has an operating quirk, and I would just like to
know if "they all do that"! (I need to know if I need to send it in for
warranty service.)

When I either begin to record, or begin to play back a tape, there is a
brief, 2-second delay, after which the sound quickly fades up from
silence, then sounds normal. When the sound first becomes audible
(during the rapid fade-up) there is distortion, which is gone by the
time the sound reaches normal level.

The recorder otherwise works and sounds great. I have never used a
similar Marantz recorder, and I would like to know if other PMD-series
recorders behave like mine.

Thanks so much for your help!

Ken

Posted to rec.audio.tech
mc

I used to do warranty work on these and I believe this is normal. It
is just the amplifiers powering up when the keys are depressed. Chuck

Are you supposed to start it up with the pause control paused, maybe, and
then let the pause off after a few seconds?