Eric Adamson

Default MP3 from CD/DVD -- Buffered Playback?

Are there any PC-based MP3 players that buffer the entire song to RAM, when
playing back from CD/DVD? I get a lot of glitches when playing files from
DVD, that sound fine if I first copy them to the hard drive. On a PC
w/768MB RAM, though, it doesn't make sense to buffer audio using the hard
drive, particularly since I/O contention is the typical cause of skipping.
Are there any players that properly take into account sustained transfer
rates for the source media they are reading?

Catch: A well-designed buffering player should not jump up to 48X to read in
the next song, just as the end of the current song approaches. Rather, it
should look ahead, determine the file size well in advance, and calculate
the probable read time, using a less noisy speed, like 4-8X.

Any suggestions?