Radium

Default WAV is the best. WMA is the worst.

Arny Krueger

"Radium" wrote in message
om...

..WAV is the gold standard in computer sound files. The only thing that could
possibly be said about WMA and MP3 is that they can sometimes come pretty
close.

Sathyan Sundaram

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message ...
"Radium" wrote in message
om...

.WAV is the gold standard in computer sound files. The only thing that could
possibly be said about WMA and MP3 is that they can sometimes come pretty
close.

Arny,

Do you have an opinion on the "lossless" codecs (like FLAC, APE, or
LPAC)? I've been using Monkey's Audio and been pleased with the
results.

thanks,
Sathyan
Radium

"Radium" wrote in message
om...

.WAV is the gold standard in computer sound files.

And the best in quality

The only thing that could
possibly be said about WMA and MP3 is that they can sometimes come pretty
close.

With MP3 being the better one. The S/N ratio of WMA is sickeningly low.
Radium

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message ...
The problem with lossless compression is that their space savings are
relatively mild and highly variable.

PCM has constant bit-rate. Right?

I have only seen MP3s with the option of variable bit-rate

Most of these programs do interface
nicely with programs like Winamp so they are good for people who do a lot of
playback.

What LPAC and those other digital formats (i.e. those you mentioned)
used in? Where can I find software for them?

Arny Krueger

"Radium" wrote in message
om
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

The problem with lossless compression is that their space savings are
relatively mild and highly variable.

PCM has constant bit-rate. Right?

Right, but compressed PCM does not.

I have only seen MP3s with the option of variable bit-rate

VBR is an optional later refinement that is not used in all MP3s.

Most of these programs do interface
nicely with programs like Winamp so they are good for people who do
a lot of playback.

What LPAC and those other digital formats (i.e. those you mentioned)
used in? Where can I find software for them?

Please see www.google.com . For example, I searched on LPAC and the first
response was http://www.nue.tu-berlin.de/wer/liebchen/lpac.html , the LPAC
home page.

Arny Krueger

"Radium" wrote in message
om
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Radium" wrote in message
om
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

The problem with lossless compression is that their space savings
are relatively mild and highly variable.

PCM has constant bit-rate. Right?

Right, but compressed PCM does not.

I have only seen MP3s with the option of variable bit-rate

VBR is an optional later refinement that is not used in all MP3s.

Speaking of MP3s, how does MP3pro differ from MP3? It has the same
quality with half the bit-rate. How does this work?

I'm not sure that MP3Pro meets the claims made for it.