Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default YouTube

YouTube might not have perrfect audio on it, but what a tool for searching
for music! It might be some weird niche of music or a genre that you just
latched onto on the radio or somewhere, but chances are you will find it
somewhere in there. And the bonus is when a particular track is done it will
suggest dozends and dozends of further kinds of the same thing. Then you can
look them up on Amazon and buy single tracks or full albums, CD or vinyl.

But in looking up Doug Sax, I saw that picture of The Mastering Lab that he
posed for, and it occurred to me that it might be really great if
occasionally they would video the "making of" an album to show the studio,
mixing desks, technical details like miking bands and soloists. I would
love to see the miking of the Track Record or the Drum Record, or anything
on Pink Floyd or even a simple jazz piano trio.

I know that some on this forum have occasionally made a video of their
projects and showed it to us. Anyone know of any other efforts to show us
this sort of thing?

Gary Eickmeier

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Gary Eckmeier:

I hear songs I like in retail stores, then
look them up on YouTube. They still
sound better over Tube in my car stereo
than on the dinky store speakers!

But YT is changing: Now that they have
a pay music division(YouTube Red) that
sort of video will slowly dry up on the
main YT. Any music you hear on there
now - original artist, original video - is
probably there illegally and will soon be
taken down.

In five years, I'm predicting YT
content will consist mostly of home
videos - family, pets, birthday parties,
Dad unclogging the john, etc. The way
Youtube was intended. All the music will
be on YouTube Red.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, February 16, 2016 at 10:43:18 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Gary Eckmeier:

I hear songs I like in retail stores, then
look them up on YouTube. They still
sound better over Tube in my car stereo
than on the dinky store speakers!

But YT is changing: Now that they have
a pay music division(YouTube Red) that
sort of video will slowly dry up on the
main YT. Any music you hear on there
now - original artist, original video - is
probably there illegally and will soon be
taken down.

Google (current YT owners) has always violated copyrights, scanning books and publishing them w/o permission.
I agree, YT sounds pretty good. Heck, I've purchased CDs from Amazon, due to their song snippets, clearly superior sound quality.

Jack

In five years, I'm predicting YT
content will consist mostly of home
videos - family, pets, birthday parties,
Dad unclogging the john, etc. The way
Youtube was intended. All the music will
be on YouTube Red.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 17/02/2016 2:32 PM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
[...]

In fact there are DVD's available for the "Classic Albums" TV series
including Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon as well as many others.
(http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0398868/)

Of course most of these were made long after the albums though. However
there are also many recent doco's of albums being recorded with more
footage of the actual studio process. Lots of these are now used for
promotion of the album these days, and regularly shown on TV.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

On 17/02/2016 2:32 PM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:

But in looking up Doug Sax, I saw that picture of The Mastering Lab that he
posed for, and it occurred to me that it might be really great if
occasionally they would video the "making of" an album to show the studio,
mixing desks, technical details like miking bands and soloists. I would
love to see the miking of the Track Record or the Drum Record, or anything
on Pink Floyd or even a simple jazz piano trio.

Video is probably impossible, there being so little left other than the
master tape and memories from most sessions.

But, Mix magazine has had a monthly article for the past few decades in which
they do exactly what you suggest, detailing the production and the production
decisions that went into classic albums. Sometimes the details are right
on, sometimes they are missing, sometimes they are just plain wrong. But
that's what happens when you describe something that happened 30 years ago.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 18/02/2016 3:15 a.m., Scott Dorsey wrote:
. But, Mix magazine has had a monthly article for the past few decades
in which they do exactly what you suggest, detailing the production
and the production decisions that went into classic albums.

Sound On Sound similarly.

Sometimes the details are right on, sometimes they are missing,
sometimes they are just plain wrong. But that's what happens when you
describe something that happened 30 years ago. --scott

Would like to think SOS at least as accurate as the memories of those
they interview ;-)

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:
On 18/02/2016 3:15 a.m., Scott Dorsey wrote:

Sometimes the details are right on, sometimes they are missing,
sometimes they are just plain wrong. But that's what happens when you
describe something that happened 30 years ago. --scott

Would like to think SOS at least as accurate as the memories of those
they interview ;-)

Same with mix, but that's the problem when you're doing sessions day in and
day out. They all blend together. Hell, I don't remember what mike I was
using on the fiddle last week let alone thirty years ago.

And really, what went through your mind to select that mike and where to put
it is a lot more important and useful than what mike it was. That's usually
the first thing to get forgotten, though.