IS

Default Software that does not require specific hardware.

Is there any really good computer software out there for recording and
editing that does not require any specific hardware?
I'm so tired of Pro Tools and not being able to launch the damn thing unless
I have a given hardware hooked up that I'm ready for a change. These
proprieties are very frustrating for the consumer. Or at least for me.
I go back and forth from desktop to my laptop and need to be constantly
moving my hardware.
I'm ready to sell my complete Digidesign package and go with some software
that will JUST work regardless of hardware being plugged in or not.

So far I've looked into getting Cakewalk Sonar Producer Edition and
Steinberg's Cubase.
I did Download a trial version from both companies. Is there something else
I should consider?

Thanks for any suggestions.

IS

Ricky Hunt

"IS" wrote in message
news
Is there any really good computer software out there for recording and
editing that does not require any specific hardware?
I'm so tired of Pro Tools and not being able to launch the damn thing
unless I have a given hardware hooked up that I'm ready for a change.
These proprieties are very frustrating for the consumer. Or at least for
me.
I go back and forth from desktop to my laptop and need to be constantly
moving my hardware.
I'm ready to sell my complete Digidesign package and go with some software
that will JUST work regardless of hardware being plugged in or not.

So far I've looked into getting Cakewalk Sonar Producer Edition and
Steinberg's Cubase.
I did Download a trial version from both companies. Is there something
else I should consider?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Most programs (besides Pro Tools) doesn't require specific hardware that I'm
aware of (beyond "minimum requirements").

Arny Krueger

IS wrote:

Is there any really good computer software out there for recording

and
editing that does not require any specific hardware?

Just about anything else.

Seriously.

I use Adobe Audition. It's run on anything from an on-board sound chip
to a rack full of LynxTWOs. In the cosmic scheme of things its a bit
picky because it doesn't know how to spell ASIO yet.

I use Sonar 4P with a Lynx L22. Works/sounds great.
DaveT

Julian Adamaitis

"IS" wrote in message
news
Is there any really good computer software out there for recording and
editing that does not require any specific hardware?

For IBM compatible type PC's:

Audition
Cool Edit
Sound Forge
Sonar
Cakewalk
Audacity
Total Recorder

to name only a few will all run on virtually any sound card.

I'd spend a little on the sound card though. The LynxOne products have been
highly recommended on this thread which is what I use too, but they are a
little spendy. Still, if you have the bucks, go ahead and get one. The
Echo MIA MIDI is a good 2 track card for $150, and Echo also has multitrack
models. M Audio is good and so is Edirol.

Julian

Bob Savage

news

Checkout www.samplitude.com for software and www.rme-audio.com for hardware.

--
http://www.bobsavage.net

Jason Horton

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 06:45:55 GMT, "IS" wrote:

So far I've looked into getting Cakewalk Sonar Producer Edition and
Steinberg's Cubase.
I did Download a trial version from both companies. Is there something else
I should consider?

Sonar and Cubase are the most popular ones, but there are others that
people use, but it depends a bit on whether your primary focus is recording
and editing, or if you want a full integrated production suite in one package.

You can see a full list of Production Suites which you can download at
http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/cat/PRODUCTION_SUITE/?ng

And for a list of Multitrack Recording / DAW software to download go to
http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/win95/MU..._RECORDING/?ng

Hope this helps,
Jason.
http://www.hitsquad.com