Mister.Lull

Default Specific Question

Please excuse the length here, but it's necessary...

I'm planning my next car system, and already have a few of the items in
my possesion. I'm not looking for anything outragious or performance
oriented, just a little something for the commute. I have a JBL audio
150.1 subwoofer amp that will be pumping 150 watts rms @ 2 ohms to one
10" sub. Now, since that's not terribly overpowering, I'll probably
just end up running two 6.5"s and two 4.25" coaxials straight off of an
aftermarket deck (more than likely a Kenwood of some sort) @ 50 watts
peak each. With me so far? Good. A little back story for you, I've
had my car broken into twice now, and BOTH times it was simply because
I had my CD case sitting in the car. Rather than keep stocking my
vehicle with CD's, to keep having them stolen, (and since I don't have
plans to get a CD burner any time in the near future) I have decided to
put my XBox in my car with my next system (for music storage, not for
gaming [no, really!]). Ready for it, here's my question:

Do you think that I'll need to amp up the power system somehow in my
car in order to handle an after market deck (I'm guessing 250 or 300
watts total?), Subwoofer amplifier (150 watts rms), XBox (100 watts, by
the way), and small TFT screen for said XBox (appx 5 watts [the ones
I've seen])? If yes, how do you recommend doing this?
Any and all suggestions appreciated. Thank you!

Mister.Lull

Tony F

Putting your X-Box in your car seems contrary to your fear of having someone
breaking into it. I would hide your CD collection if that's truly the
reason theives are targeting your vehicle...or simply remove them when you
park it. Or get an alarm.

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Eclipse CD8454 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and ZX500 Amplifiers,

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP (Just gettin' started)

"Mister.Lull" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

MZ

Putting your X-Box in your car seems contrary to your fear of having
someone breaking into it. I would hide your CD collection if that's truly
the reason theives are targeting your vehicle...or simply remove them when
you park it. Or get an alarm.

The XBOX won't compell the thieves because it'll probably be hidden in the
trunk.

MZ

I think an Xbox would almost guarantee a break in. I have worked around
that by getting an MP3 capable CD changer and mounting it in the trunk, I
keep my case next to the changer.

LCD screens in the dash (I don't know where he plans on mounting it) are
easier to cover up with a stock facade than aftermarket head units. That's
the best theft deterrent you'll find.

Mister.Lull

I've actually thought all of this through, here are some more details:

The factory head unit will remain in place while the wiring is
re-routed to an after market deck that will be hidden (either in a
retraction device or in a center console; either way it will be out of
sight). Two 4.25"'s mounted in stock locations with stock coverings
replaced after new speakers are installed. Same idea with the rear
6.5"'s. Everything thus far is hidden. The Xbox will be mounted under
the passenger seat and, if I am not satisfied with it's concealment,
also covered with carpet to match the interior of the car. There will
be no wire for the controller as it will be a wireless one (and can,
therefore, be stashed in the glove compartment). The TFT screens that
I've been pricing are only a 2" picture (measured diagonally) and can
easily be mounted on the side of the driver's side visor that cannot be
seen when put away (another idea I had was to mount the screen on the
deck if I end up going with the retraction device). The sub will, of
coarse, be installed in the trunk along with the amplifier.

But enough details... Does anybody know the answer to my original
question?

Mister.Lull

Mister.Lull

MP3's are out of the question at the moment, as I have no CD's or plans
to get a burner in the near future... All of the music I have left to
my name resides within my XBox.

Mister.Lull

MZ

I've actually thought all of this through, here are some more details:

The factory head unit will remain in place while the wiring is
re-routed to an after market deck that will be hidden (either in a
retraction device or in a center console; either way it will be out of
sight). Two 4.25"'s mounted in stock locations with stock coverings
replaced after new speakers are installed. Same idea with the rear
6.5"'s. Everything thus far is hidden.

Ah, very good. Let me suggest, though, that you try to expand the opening
of the stock fronts so that you can fit larger speakers than 4"'s. Even
5-1/4"s will perform significantly better. Some cars are easier to do this
in than others.

The Xbox will be mounted under
the passenger seat and, if I am not satisfied with it's concealment,
also covered with carpet to match the interior of the car. There will
be no wire for the controller as it will be a wireless one (and can,
therefore, be stashed in the glove compartment). The TFT screens that
I've been pricing are only a 2" picture (measured diagonally) and can
easily be mounted on the side of the driver's side visor that cannot be
seen when put away (another idea I had was to mount the screen on the
deck if I end up going with the retraction device).

2"? Wow, that's pretty small. They have screens that are made specifically
for visor installations that measure about 4 inches diagonal.

The sub will, of
coarse, be installed in the trunk along with the amplifier.

But enough details... Does anybody know the answer to my original
question?

Yeah, it should be ok. Make sure your battery and alternator are healthy.
That's not a whole lot of power that you listed, really.

Mister.Lull

Yes, since I'm getting the front and rear inside speakers as coaxials,
I'll definately look at getting 5.25"'s instead; thank you. Yeah,
beleive it or not, I saw a few of these 2" TFT screens (after an hour
or so of searching) for around $40 or $50. Whereas the 4" - 7" that
are all over the place will run anywhere from $100 to $700+ !! Also,
they can be wired straight to a car battery OR plug into an AC
adapter...
Thank you VERY much for your response!!

Now I just have to get a new car to put all of this in...

MZ

You can get a 4 or 5 inch screen for about $100. They come with mounting
shroud and everything. It just seems like a 2" screen would be way too
small to be able to see what you're doing. Will you be using XBMC as your
player?

Yes, since I'm getting the front and rear inside speakers as coaxials,
I'll definately look at getting 5.25"'s instead; thank you. Yeah,
beleive it or not, I saw a few of these 2" TFT screens (after an hour
or so of searching) for around $40 or $50. Whereas the 4" - 7" that
are all over the place will run anywhere from $100 to $700+ !! Also,
they can be wired straight to a car battery OR plug into an AC
adapter...
Thank you VERY much for your response!!

Now I just have to get a new car to put all of this in...

Mister.Lull

Yes, If I understand what you're asking. I won't be playing games on
the Xbox at all. The only thing I even need a screen for is to see
which soundtrack I'm selecting on the Xbox, you see? That's why I'm
looking at a screen so small: if I'm not playing games, why get a
screen twice as big for twice as much? Besides the smaller the screen,
the less potential it has to be noticed...

MZ

Yes, If I understand what you're asking. I won't be playing games on
the Xbox at all. The only thing I even need a screen for is to see
which soundtrack I'm selecting on the Xbox, you see? That's why I'm
looking at a screen so small: if I'm not playing games, why get a
screen twice as big for twice as much? Besides the smaller the screen,
the less potential it has to be noticed...

Is all your music wav format? So you'll be using the base player on an
unmodded xbox to do it? If you can get it all to fit on ~7 gigs, then more
power to you!

Mister.Lull

Yes, the box is un-modded - for now. I figure that I can always mod it
later if this turns out to be worth all the effort. By my estimates, I
should be able to fit around 400 songs or so onto the Xbox, AND I'll
have the ability to (basically) burn CD's in my car. Also, I thought
that the Xbox (when it recorded music) had it's own format for music
files. Does it just write them as a wav file?

MZ

Yes, the box is un-modded - for now. I figure that I can always mod it
later if this turns out to be worth all the effort. By my estimates, I
should be able to fit around 400 songs or so onto the Xbox, AND I'll
have the ability to (basically) burn CD's in my car. Also, I thought
that the Xbox (when it recorded music) had it's own format for music
files. Does it just write them as a wav file?

I'm not entirely sure. Before I modded mine, I only transferred wavs to it.