Posted to rec.audio.tech
ChrisCoaster ChrisCoaster is offline

Default Question: Is "128" Totally Irrelevant As A Bitrate?

Seriously!

Aside from 1/2hour episodes of "The Shadow" or "Great Gildersleeve"
radio shows, is the greatest thing to happen in the 1990s totally
passe?

My personal mp3 download minimum is 192kbps. For rips - 256 if it's
poppy stuff, 320 for jazz, classical, and stuff I just can't live
without.

-ChrisCoaster
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Oct 31, 10:53*am, ChrisCoaster wrote:
Seriously!

Aside from 1/2hour episodes of "The Shadow" or "Great Gildersleeve"
radio shows, is the greatest thing to happen in the 1990s totally
passe?

My personal mp3 download minimum is 192kbps. *For rips - 256 if it's
poppy stuff, 320 for jazz, classical, and stuff I just can't live
without. *

-ChrisCoaster

________________
Come on folks - this isn't a post about lacy lingerie or cleavage!

Seriously, I'm still finding a lot of "128"s on the web(mp3s encoded
at 128kbps). Shouldn't such a low bitrate be outlawed?

-CC
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 12:31:25 -0700 (PDT), ChrisCoaster
wrote:

On Oct 31, 10:53*am, ChrisCoaster wrote:
Seriously!

Aside from 1/2hour episodes of "The Shadow" or "Great Gildersleeve"
radio shows, is the greatest thing to happen in the 1990s totally
passe?

My personal mp3 download minimum is 192kbps. *For rips - 256 if it's
poppy stuff, 320 for jazz, classical, and stuff I just can't live
without. *

-ChrisCoaster

________________
Come on folks - this isn't a post about lacy lingerie or cleavage!

Seriously, I'm still finding a lot of "128"s on the web(mp3s encoded
at 128kbps). Shouldn't such a low bitrate be outlawed?

-CC

Try encoding with AAC at 128kbits/sec and prepare to be pleasantly
surprised. MP3 is SO last millennium.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote:
On Oct 31, 10:53*am, ChrisCoaster wrote:
Seriously!

Aside from 1/2hour episodes of "The Shadow" or "Great Gildersleeve"
radio shows, is the greatest thing to happen in the 1990s totally
passe?

My personal mp3 download minimum is 192kbps. *For rips - 256 if it's
poppy stuff, 320 for jazz, classical, and stuff I just can't live
without. *

-ChrisCoaster

________________
Come on folks - this isn't a post about lacy lingerie or cleavage!

Seriously, I'm still finding a lot of "128"s on the web(mp3s encoded
at 128kbps). *Shouldn't such a low bitrate be outlawed?

-CC

Try encoding with AAC at 128kbits/sec and prepare to be pleasantly
surprised. MP3 is SO last millennium.

d- Hide quoted text -

_____________
Will iPods and other mp3 players be able to play them?

-ChrisCoaster
Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote:
[...]

iPods will. As for MP3 players - it depends.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

ChrisCoaster wrote:

Seriously!

Aside from 1/2hour episodes of "The Shadow" or "Great Gildersleeve"
radio shows, is the greatest thing to happen in the 1990s totally
passe?

My personal mp3 download minimum is 192kbps. For rips - 256 if it's
poppy stuff, 320 for jazz, classical, and stuff I just can't live
without.

192 with joint stereo (ms) is where acceptable starts, and gets better if
you start out with a quality sample rate conversion to 32 kHz sample rate.
Makes life easier for the encoder and thus the treble less splatty.

However you WILL end up doing it all in full wordlength, so why bother with
wordlenght-reduction?

-ChrisCoaster

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Nov 5, 8:36*am, "Peter Larsen" wrote:
ChrisCoaster wrote:
Seriously!
Aside from 1/2hour episodes of "The Shadow" or "Great Gildersleeve"
radio shows, is the greatest thing to happen in the 1990s totally
passe?
My personal mp3 download minimum is 192kbps. *For rips - 256 if it's
poppy stuff, 320 for jazz, classical, and stuff I just can't live
without. *

192 with joint stereo (ms) is where acceptable starts, and gets better if
you start out with a quality sample rate conversion to 32 kHz sample rate..
Makes life easier for the encoder and thus the treble less splatty.

However you WILL end up doing it all in full wordlength, so why bother with
wordlenght-reduction?

-ChrisCoaster

* Kind regards

* Peter Larsen

_____________________
I still see 128s out there and can really hear the difference between
one of a song and a 192bit of that same song. I have a harder time
hearing the diference going from 192 to 256kb and up though as i've
lost me top!

-CC
Posted to rec.audio.tech

ChrisCoaster wrote:

I still see 128s out there and can really hear the difference between
one of a song and a 192bit of that same song. I have a harder time
hearing the diference going from 192 to 256kb and up though as i've
lost me top!

it is about clarity, bass tightness even, listen for the canvas, the small
details in the room, that said I'll re-iterate that acceptable - defined as
better than compact casette - starts at 192 kbit/s, in that we fully agree.

-CC

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Trevor is offline

"Peter Larsen" wrote in message
k...
it is about clarity, bass tightness even, listen for the canvas, the small
details in the room, that said I'll re-iterate that acceptable - defined
as better than compact casette - starts at 192 kbit/s, in that we fully
agree.

Frankly I see no reason for less than 256kbs these days, but I sure as hell
think 128kbs was better than compact cassette at least.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Loki Harfagr Loki Harfagr is offline

Tue, 01 Nov 2011 20:21:50 +0000, Don Pearce did catÂ*:

wrote:
On Oct 31, 10:53Â*am, ChrisCoaster wrote:
Seriously!

Aside from 1/2hour episodes of "The Shadow" or "Great Gildersleeve"
radio shows, is the greatest thing to happen in the 1990s totally
passe?

My personal mp3 download minimum is 192kbps. Â*For rips - 256 if it's
poppy stuff, 320 for jazz, classical, and stuff I just can't live
without. Â*

-ChrisCoaster
________________
Come on folks - this isn't a post about lacy lingerie or cleavage!

Seriously, I'm still finding a lot of "128"s on the web(mp3s encoded
at 128kbps). Â*Shouldn't such a low bitrate be outlawed?

-CC

Try encoding with AAC at 128kbits/sec and prepare to be pleasantly
surprised. MP3 is SO last millennium.

d- Hide quoted text -

_____________
Will iPods and other mp3 players be able to play them?

iPods will. As for MP3 players - it depends.

and the same question proved to be a problem for Vorbis/ogg, a
sad story sometimes is the Story of audio ;-(

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Nov 10, 3:20*pm, "Trevor" wrote:
"Peter Larsen" wrote in message

k...

it is about clarity, bass tightness even, listen for the canvas, the small
details in the room, that said I'll re-iterate that acceptable - defined
as better than compact casette - starts at 192 kbit/s, in that we fully
agree.

Frankly I see no reason for less than 256kbs these days, but I sure as hell
think 128kbs was better than compact cassette at least.

Trevor.

_______________________
Well if you and Pete really want to know what I'm getting at here is -
are you ready?

BAN ONE-HUNDRED-TWENTY-EIGHT MBPS for music entirely!!!! It's still
practical for most podcasts(90% spoken word), but I'm just as shocked
that it's still out there. It does most genres of music NO justice,
and it's simply not the breakthrough that it was over a decade ago
when, when .... well what was the prevailing bitrate before the 128
plateau?

-ChrisCoaster
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Nov 10, 3:20*pm, "Trevor" wrote:
"Peter Larsen" wrote in message

k...

it is about clarity, bass tightness even, listen for the canvas, the small
details in the room, that said I'll re-iterate that acceptable - defined
as better than compact casette - starts at 192 kbit/s, in that we fully
agree.

Frankly I see no reason for less than 256kbs these days, but I sure as hell
think 128kbs was better than compact cassette at least.

Trevor.

____________________
For me:

The difference from 64 or 80kbps to 128 is very, about a 10 on the
Richter scale of improvement in earthquake terms(!)

From 128 to 192, about a 5 on the richter scale.

From 192 to 256 or higher: richter scale 1. (remember I'm essentially
deaf above 14kHz).

From 256 to 320 to CD? I couldn't distinguish those three for beans!
Posted to rec.audio.tech
ChrisCoaster ChrisCoaster is offline

On Nov 11, 10:58*am, ChrisCoaster wrote:
On Nov 10, 3:20*pm, "Trevor" wrote: "Peter Larsen" wrote in message

. dk...

it is about clarity, bass tightness even, listen for the canvas, the small
details in the room, that said I'll re-iterate that acceptable - defined
as better than compact casette - starts at 192 kbit/s, in that we fully
agree.

Frankly I see no reason for less than 256kbs these days, but I sure as hell
think 128kbs was better than compact cassette at least.

Trevor.

____________________
For me:

The difference from 64 or 80kbps to 128 is very, about a 10 on the
Richter scale of improvement in earthquake terms(!)

From 128 to 192, about *a 5 on the richter scale.

From 192 to 256 or higher: richter scale 1. *(remember I'm essentially
deaf above 14kHz).

From 256 to 320 to CD? *I couldn't distinguish those three for beans!

Let me clarify: I CAN hear the tightening up and increased
dynamics(punch) of the low end on progressively higher bit rates as
well as the smoothness of the mids. It's my personal lack of TOP that
anything over 192kbps is wasted on.
LOL!

-ChrisCoaster
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Trevor is offline

"ChrisCoaster" wrote in message
BAN ONE-HUNDRED-TWENTY-EIGHT MBPS for music entirely!!!! It's still
practical for most podcasts(90% spoken word), but I'm just as shocked
that it's still out there. It does most genres of music NO justice,
and it's simply not the breakthrough that it was over a decade ago

-----------------------------

Why does it need to be banned, YOU already have the option of not encoding,
downloading, or listening to it!

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Nov 11, 4:00*pm, "Trevor" wrote:
"ChrisCoaster" wrote in message

BAN ONE-HUNDRED-TWENTY-EIGHT MBPS for music entirely!!!! *It's still
practical for most podcasts(90% spoken word), but I'm just as shocked
that it's still out there. *It does most genres of music NO justice,
and it's simply not the breakthrough that it was over a decade ago

-----------------------------

Why does it need to be banned, YOU already have the option of not encoding,
downloading, or listening to it!

Trevor.

____________________
Well it should at least have obtained the status of 8-track tapes &
Betamax by now. LOL! Seriously.

It's like listening to your favorite music with your head in an
aquarium.

-CC

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Nov 10, 3:20*pm, "Trevor" wrote:
"Peter Larsen" wrote in message

k...

it is about clarity, bass tightness even, listen for the canvas, the small
details in the room, that said I'll re-iterate that acceptable - defined
as better than compact casette - starts at 192 kbit/s, in that we fully
agree.

Frankly I see no reason for less than 256kbs these days, but I sure as hell
think 128kbs was better than compact cassette at least.

Trevor.

________________
Then again, most cassette I've listened to does not sound like the
Beatles' voices through the rotating Leslie speaker in a Hammond organ.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Trevor is offline

"ChrisCoaster" wrote in message
Well it should at least have obtained the status of 8-track tapes &
Betamax by now. LOL! Seriously.

------------

It nearly has. There are still a few around, as there are cassettes.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Nov 10, 3:20 pm, "Trevor" wrote:
Frankly I see no reason for less than 256kbs these days, but I sure as
hell
think 128kbs was better than compact cassette at least.

}Then again, most cassette I've listened to does not sound like the
}Beatles' voices through the rotating Leslie speaker in a Hammond organ.

Right, most of them were worse :-(
(And most 128kbs MP3's not as bad as that either)

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
geoff geoff is offline

Trevor wrote:
"Peter Larsen" wrote in message
k...
it is about clarity, bass tightness even, listen for the canvas, the
small details in the room, that said I'll re-iterate that acceptable
- defined as better than compact casette - starts at 192 kbit/s, in
that we fully agree.

Frankly I see no reason for less than 256kbs these days, but I sure
as hell think 128kbs was better than compact cassette at least.

Hell no ! Cassettes never put phasers onto cymbal decays and light acoustic
guitars. Just hiss.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech
geoff geoff is offline

Trevor wrote:
"ChrisCoaster" wrote in message
BAN ONE-HUNDRED-TWENTY-EIGHT MBPS for music entirely!!!! It's still
practical for most podcasts(90% spoken word), but I'm just as shocked
that it's still out there. It does most genres of music NO justice,
and it's simply not the breakthrough that it was over a decade ago

-----------------------------

Why does it need to be banned, YOU already have the option of not
encoding, downloading, or listening to it!

Similar to why we ban herion and methamphetimine.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Trevor is offline

"geoff" wrote in message
Hell no ! Cassettes never put phasers onto cymbal decays and light
acoustic guitars. Just hiss.

You have a cassette with NO wow and flutter or scrape noise, and with
perfect phase alignment? Better than a Nakamichi Dragon then. (but better
R2R machines were available for that kind of money). And what about the
problems caused by Dolby NR on any cassette machine. Even Nakamichi couldn't
change the laws of physics when it came to high frequencies at higher levels
on cassette tape.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Trevor is offline

"geoff" wrote in message
Why does it need to be banned, YOU already have the option of not
encoding, downloading, or listening to it!

Similar to why we ban herion and methamphetimine.

What similarities?

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Nov 12, 1:02*am, "Trevor" wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message

Why does it need to be banned, YOU already have the option of not
encoding, downloading, or listening to it!

Similar to why we ban herion and methamphetimine.

What similarities?

Trevor.

_________________
I think he's making fun of my Beatle reference. Tape cassette never
had the "metallic swirlly" sound peculiar to low bitrate mp3s - such
as 128s. I referred to it as the Hammond organ effect.

-ChrisCoaster
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Trevor is offline

"ChrisCoaster" wrote in message
I think he's making fun of my Beatle reference. Tape cassette never

had the "metallic swirlly" sound peculiar to low bitrate mp3s - such
as 128s. I

Right, it had even worse problems instead :-(

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
geoff geoff is offline

Trevor wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message
Why does it need to be banned, YOU already have the option of not
encoding, downloading, or listening to it!

Similar to why we ban herion and methamphetimine.

What similarities?

Generally bad for peopel and society as a whole.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech
geoff geoff is offline

Trevor wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message
Hell no ! Cassettes never put phasers onto cymbal decays and light
acoustic guitars. Just hiss.

You have a cassette with NO wow and flutter or scrape noise, and with
perfect phase alignment? Better than a Nakamichi Dragon then. (but
better R2R machines were available for that kind of money). And what
about the problems caused by Dolby NR on any cassette machine. Even
Nakamichi couldn't change the laws of physics when it came to high
frequencies at higher levels on cassette tape.

Trevor.

But somebody, apparently, can change t5he laws of physics wrt lossy
encoding at low bitrates.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Trevor is offline

"geoff" wrote in message
But somebody, apparently, can change t5he laws of physics wrt lossy
encoding at low bitrates.

They can, who?
To be clear, both cassette and 128kbs MP3 are inferior music storage formats
no real argument there.
IMO the sum total of all problems introduced by cassette recording/playback
was greater than the sum total of problems caused by 128kbs MP3 encoding
with half way decent encoders.
Your opinion may differ, but it's still just that :-)

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Nov 14, 12:48*am, "Trevor" wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message

But somebody, apparently, can change t5he laws of physics wrt *lossy
encoding at low bitrates.

They can, who?
To be clear, both cassette and 128kbs MP3 are inferior music storage formats
no real argument there.
IMO the sum total of all problems introduced by cassette recording/playback
was greater than the sum total of problems caused by 128kbs MP3 encoding
with half way decent encoders.
Your opinion may differ, but it's still just that :-)

Trevor.

_______
I'll take a properly recorded cassette, produced on calibrated
equipment and played back on a properly aligned deck over a 128k mp3
ANYDAY.

thank you.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Trevor is offline

"ChrisCoaster" wrote in message
I'll take a properly recorded cassette, produced on calibrated

equipment and played back on a properly aligned deck

Yeah like there are SO many of those tapes and decks around! :-)

over a 128k mp3 ANYDAY.

As I said, you're welcome to your choices. Me I'd simply opt for FLAC or
Wave recording and storage at a ***minute*** percentage of the cost of any
half way decent cassette recorder and quality tape!

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
geoff geoff is offline

Trevor wrote:
"ChrisCoaster" wrote in message
I'll take a properly recorded cassette, produced on calibrated

equipment and played back on a properly aligned deck

Yeah like there are SO many of those tapes and decks around! :-)

over a 128k mp3 ANYDAY.

As I said, you're welcome to your choices. Me I'd simply opt for FLAC
or Wave recording and storage at a ***minute*** percentage of the
cost of any half way decent cassette recorder and quality tape!

Well that's changing the rules. FLAC (or equiv) is top - as good as the
source.

But 128kbps and cassette - I'd take the cassette any day.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Nov 17, 4:04*am, "geoff" wrote:
Trevor wrote:
"ChrisCoaster" wrote in message
I'll take a properly recorded cassette, produced on calibrated

equipment and played back on a properly aligned deck

Yeah like there are SO many of those tapes and decks around! :-)

over a 128k mp3 ANYDAY.

As I said, you're welcome to your choices. Me I'd simply opt for FLAC
or Wave recording and storage at a ***minute*** percentage of the
cost of any half way decent cassette recorder and quality tape!

Well that's changing the rules. FLAC (or equiv) is top - as good as the
source.

But 128kbps and cassette - I'd take the cassette any day.

geoff

_________________
THANK

YOU

GEOFF!!

(someone on here used just 3 brain cells and actually got my point -
see folks, it's not that difficult!)

-CC
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Trevor is offline

"geoff" wrote in message
But 128kbps and cassette - I'd take the cassette any day.

As I said you're welcome to it! I used R2R when everyone else was using
cassette, and I still don't find 128kbs as objectionable as cassette, even
though I don't see a need for 128kbs either!
I still fail to see the point of your discusson however, are we going to
discuss whether steel or bamboo needles are better next, or pehaps the
benefits of lateral Vs vertical groove modulation? :-) How about 8" floppy
disks Vs 5.25" or 3.5" ones :-) :-)

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Trevor is offline

"ChrisCoaster" wrote in message

But 128kbps and cassette - I'd take the cassette any day.

geoff

_________________
}THANK YOU GEOFF!!

}(someone on here used just 3 brain cells and actually got my point -
}see folks, it's not that difficult!)

And IF you'd been able to find four brain cells still functioning, you would
have asked why anyone would use EITHER cassette OR 128kbs MP3 in this day
and age, just as *I* did!!!

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Nov 18, 4:20*am, "Trevor" wrote:
"ChrisCoaster" wrote in message

But 128kbps and cassette - I'd take the cassette any day.

geoff

_________________
}THANK YOU GEOFF!!
}(someone on here used just 3 brain cells and actually got my point -
}see folks, it's not that difficult!)

And IF you'd been able to find four brain cells still functioning, you would
have asked why anyone would use EITHER cassette OR 128kbs MP3 in this day
and age, just as *I* did!!!

Trevor.

___________

this one's not worth my time . . .
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Nov 18, 4:15*am, "Trevor" wrote:
and I still don't find 128kbs as objectionable as cassette, even
Trevor.

_____________________
Unless the playback or record heads were so out of line or so filthy
on that tape deck, you don't have a stick to stand on with that
ridiculous collection of words!

-CC

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Trevor is offline

"ChrisCoaster" wrote in message
}Unless the playback or record heads were so out of line or so filthy
}on that tape deck, you don't have a stick to stand on with that
}ridiculous collection of words!

You forgot to add the most important part to that claim, IYNSHO!
(In your not so humble opinion)

Trevor.