Posted to rec.audio.pro
TheHulkPlaysGuitar TheHulkPlaysGuitar is offline

Default Recording vocal dry but having vocals wet for vocalist with reverb while singing the track ?

Hi,

Does anyone know how to record vocals dry but have the vocals wet for
the vocalist singing the track (in headphones or monitors) ?

Cheers.

THPG

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

On Oct 16, 11:22 pm, TheHulkPlaysGuitar
wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone know how to record vocals dry but have the vocals wet for
the vocalist singing the track (in headphones or monitors) ?

Cheers.

THPG

Just wet up the foldback and leave the feed dry. I'm guessing you are
not splitting the line. You need to.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 06:22:30 -0000, TheHulkPlaysGuitar
wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone know how to record vocals dry but have the vocals wet for
the vocalist singing the track (in headphones or monitors) ?

By inserting a reverb effect in the audio chain that feeds the
monitors, but not in the chain that is recorded. This is easily
achieved by appropriate routing in your mixing board, or can be done
within a DAW. (Before Mike Rivers mounts his hobby-horse, note that
the DAW wilol delay the monitored signal by the system latency. It's
easy nowadays to reduce this to a few ms. Some people find this a
practical issue, many don't.)

If you give us a clue about what equipment you're using, we can be
more specific. A better question gets a better answer :-)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
TheHulkPlaysGuitar TheHulkPlaysGuitar is offline

wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone know how to record vocals dry but have the vocals wet for
the vocalist singing the track (in headphones or monitors) ?

By inserting a reverb effect in the audio chain that feeds the
monitors, but not in the chain that is recorded. This is easily
achieved by appropriate routing in your mixing board, or can be done
within a DAW. (Before Mike Rivers mounts his hobby-horse, note that
the DAW wilol delay the monitored signal by the system latency. It's
easy nowadays to reduce this to a few ms. Some people find this a
practical issue, many don't.)

If you give us a clue about what equipment you're using, we can be
more specific. A better question gets a better answer :-)

Thanks for you response.

The gear |'m using is the (1) Toneport UX2 by line 6 and external
sound card - USB into PC (2) Gear Box software also by line 6 (3)
cubase sx (4) power amp (out from Toneport UX2 into this amp) (5)
Monitors NS-10m.

When I record a track in cubase I want the sound from the monitors to
have reverb from the cubase inserts but record dry.

I hope this helps - please let me know if you need futher info.

Cheers!

THPG

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

TheHulkPlaysGuitar wrote:

Does anyone know how to record vocals dry but have the vocals wet for
the vocalist singing the track (in headphones or monitors) ?

Sure. Your channel strip should have a bunch of outputs. The tape send
is going to the tape machine, so you can't use that, but there are plenty
of others on most consoles. Pick an aux buss you aren't using and route
it to a reverb unit, patch the return from the reverb unit into whatever
you are using to generate the monitor mix.

That is, one channel strip is being used for the mike preamp and the vocal
track recording, but you're pulling -off- that strip, into the effects
chain, and then -back- into the console.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
philicorda[_4_] philicorda[_4_] is offline

wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone know how to record vocals dry but have the vocals wet for
the vocalist singing the track (in headphones or monitors) ?

By inserting a reverb effect in the audio chain that feeds the monitors,
but not in the chain that is recorded. This is easily achieved by
appropriate routing in your mixing board, or can be done within a DAW.
(Before Mike Rivers mounts his hobby-horse, note that the DAW wilol
delay the monitored signal by the system latency. It's easy nowadays to
reduce this to a few ms. Some people find this a practical issue, many
don't.)

Another way is to give the vocalist a mix of the 'zero' latency soundcard
monitoring, plus a fully wet reverb through the DAW monitoring.
The extra latency through the DAW then just adds a few ms of predelay to
the reverb.

It's quite easy to set this up in most soundcard's mixers.

If you give us a clue about what equipment you're using, we can be more
specific. A better question gets a better answer :-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ethan Winer Ethan Winer is offline

Does anyone know how to record vocals dry but have the vocals wet for
the vocalist singing the track (in headphones or monitors) ?

This article from EQ magazine explains how I do that:

www.ethanwiner.com/mixer2daw.html

--Ethan
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Cap'n Ron Cap'n Ron is offline

Excellent article, thank you for posting this. Filled some holes in my
understanding of recording.

--
Cap'n Ron

"Ethan Winer" ethanw at ethanwiner dot com wrote in message
Does anyone know how to record vocals dry but have the vocals wet for
the vocalist singing the track (in headphones or monitors) ?

This article from EQ magazine explains how I do that:

www.ethanwiner.com/mixer2daw.html

--Ethan

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Ethan Winer" ethanw at ethanwiner dot com wrote in messagenews:laadnWv1LZyOvovanZ2dnUVZ_hudnZ2d@gigan ews.com...

Does anyone know how to record vocals dry but have the vocals wet for
the vocalist singing the track (in headphones or monitors) ?

This article from EQ magazine explains how I do that:

www.ethanwiner.com/mixer2daw.html

--Ethan

Thanks for all your help. I found this as well see below

Easy -- just flip the "send 3-4" to pre, rather than post. This will
send bone dry signals over channels 3 and 4 of your usb audio to your
DAW.

Now, how you get Cubase to recognize channels 3 & 4, I don't know, but
it should be relatively simple. Just be sure to record channels 3 and
4 onto their own track (you might record the wet signals 1 & 2 just
for giggles).

Plug the singer's headphones into the headphone jack, and you should
be good to go!

Cheers,

Fester2k

Found this, too:

First in Cubase click "devices - vst connections" then for inputs -
click "add bus" - it will default to "stereo" click OK and it will add
"stereo in 2" with sends 3/4.

Now in Gearbox - select mic 1 and pick your settings and in Cubase
make two audio tracks. One set for stereo 1/2 and the other for
stereo2 with sends 3/4. Then arm both and record. The wet signal will
be on 1/2 and the dry on 3/4.

Cheers,

Fester2k