Al

Default Digital Radio Sound Quality in Comparison

Hi All,

I'm investigating the possibility to purchase a Digital Radio XM or whatever
brand.

Now, because I am a Time Warner DTV subscribed customer I receive some music
channels trough the TV called music choice, I believe. If XM's sound does
not differ from those TV digital music channels I will save my money.

Could anybody please advice? How XM sounds in comparison to the music choice
channel offered through the TV?

Thank you

John Jacob

I have been a Direct TV subscriber, and an XM subscriber for some time now.
I think it goes without saying, MP3 audio is not a replacement for CD audio.
The quality of audio on DTV is good for "fill music" while you are working,
entertaining, etc. It has good quality, but not great.

I find XM quality not to be as good as DTV. It is more compressed. The bass is
muddy and lacking any real low bass. Be aware that it is tailored for automotive
listening. Not living room listenning. However, I like the portability of XM.
Small dockable unit with a boom box attachment. Car to house, to boom box is
easy. It is another music option. Just like FM radio is.
Hang on to PCM CD's.
Say no to MP3

John

Al wrote:

Hi All,

I'm investigating the possibility to purchase a Digital Radio XM or whatever
brand.

Now, because I am a Time Warner DTV subscribed customer I receive some music
channels trough the TV called music choice, I believe. If XM's sound does
not differ from those TV digital music channels I will save my money.

Could anybody please advice? How XM sounds in comparison to the music choice
channel offered through the TV?

Thank you

John Jacob

I wasn't "bad mouthing" XM. I love the service. I use it in addition to
FM and CD while driving. I also take it on vacation to the beach, and
mountain resort each year. With the boom box thingie, it makes it easy
to have music anywhere, anytime.

I have a friend that works at XM. Last year I took a tour of the
facilities in DC. It is astounding. Huge control room that controls the
huge servers. State of the art studios, and broadcast booths. Very
impressive operation.
I have worked in broadcasting for 26 years, and I have never seen
anything this cutting edge, and and professionally done.
John

Nousaine wrote:

John Jacob wrote:

I have been a Direct TV subscriber, and an XM subscriber for some time now.
I think it goes without saying, MP3 audio is not a replacement for CD audio.

Did anyone ever suggest otherwise :-)

The quality of audio on DTV is good for "fill music" while you are working,
entertaining, etc. It has good quality, but not great.

I've used Directv for approximately 7 years now and have never found the sound
quality to ever fall below that available over terrestrially broadcast
television. It seems to be competitive to the best FM I can get in a relatively
remote area.

I find XM quality not to be as good as DTV. It is more compressed. The bass
is
muddy and lacking any real low bass. Be aware that it is tailored for
automotive
listening. Not living room listenning.

In that area I find XM to also be competitive to the best FM I can get
routinely over the air. Indeed the signal never 'fades, squeals, clicks, pops
or snarls' like real radio :-) although there are a couple local places where I
get drop-outs.

In all fairness I've been smitten with the 50s, 60s and Old Time radio channels
and have been very pleased with the quality of sound delivered on those elderly
programs. I'm astounded !