Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Andre Jute Andre Jute is offline

Default Come ride with me

Yo, Al:

A while ago I promised to publish something about my surroundings.

You are cordially invited to come ride with me down to Kilmacsimon
Quay.
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/B...simon%201.html
There is also an article of more general information for cyclists
coming to Ireland, which mght interest some of the others.
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/B...20Ireland.html
And, of course, my famous article on why God made Gazelle is still on
my bicycle site.
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/B...20Bauhaus.html
More still at
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/B...20CYCLING.html
and
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/O...20ARISING.html

Slainte!

Andre Jute
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Andre Jute wrote:

Yo, Al:

A while ago I promised to publish something about my surroundings.

Any chance of prefixing such posts as OT ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/B...20in%20Ireland...
And, of course, my famous article on why God made Gazelle is still on
my bicycle site.
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/B...20Bauhaus.html
More still at
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/B...20CYCLING.html
and
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/O...20ARISING.html

Slainte!

Andre Jute
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

Eeyore wrote:

Andre Jute wrote:

Yo, Al:

A while ago I promised to publish something about my surroundings.

Any chance of prefixing such posts as OT ?

Graham

But doesn't the title suggest something totally off topic
to anything about tubes?

Ah ye not blind, now off with ye to read some James Joyce immediately
now!!

Patrick Turner, feeling homesick after being away from Ireland for
at least tree generations...
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Keith G Keith G is offline

"Andre Jute" wrote in message
ups.com...
Yo, Al:

A while ago I promised to publish something about my surroundings.

You are cordially invited to come ride with me down to Kilmacsimon

OK, sounds like fun but not on mobile 'gym kit' - I prefer summat a little
quicker:

http://www.apah69.dsl.pipex.com/mybikes/mybikes.htm

;-)

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Andre Jute Andre Jute is offline

Patrick Turner, feeling homesick after being away from Ireland for
at least tree generations...

Actually, you're lucky to have been born in Sydney or Melbourne or
wherever it was, presumably not Canberra which is a "planned" city
built postwar, judging by the guvmint buildings. At least around
Sydney and Melbourne it is green. I was born in a desert where there
were two colours, red dust and dull olive green succulent plants with
spikes on the leaves and an a rash of needles on the fruit to keep the
vertebrates away. When I first came to Ireland (with a junior side to
play rugby), I silently counted the greens I saw, because of course
the jocks were blind to it. A few years later, when I was in
advertising I used to come to Ireland regularly to play golf. On one
occasion I brought one of my art directors with me because the client
I was playing with liked him. He and I shouted out the names of the
hundreds of different greens we saw as we drove through Galway and
Cork and Kerry. He was Lebanese; he'd never seen so many greens in his
life outside of a colour chart used for mixing printer's inks.
Actually, my pics give a very poor idea of what it is normally like in
the lanes because we're just at the end of an unusually cold winter,
and the council sent the hedgetrimmers down that lane I photographed a
week before I went, leaving lots of dead brown stalks -- normally the
hedgerows are another profusion of green reaching for the road like
the Day of the Triffids.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Apr 11, 4:48 am, Patrick Turner wrote:
Eeyore wrote:

Andre Jute wrote:

Yo, Al:

A while ago I promised to publish something about my surroundings.

Any chance of prefixing such posts as OT ?

Graham

But doesn't the title suggest something totally off topic
to anything about tubes?

Ah ye not blind, now off with ye to read some James Joyce immediately
now!!

Patrick Turner, feeling homesick after being away from Ireland for
at least tree generations...

Funny thing... you and yours leave Ireland, it is worse for your
going. Mr. McCoy returns to its heritage, and Ireland is worse for it.
A dead-loss all around.

If an individual is known by the company he keeps, then as much as
another trip to the Auld Sod is tempting, not for that company. I do
not have to travel 3915 miles to meet pretentious, largely ignorant
and entirely silly charlatans, liars and poseurs. Which is really too
bad as *Irish* story-tellers are amongst the best in the universe.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Apr 10, 11:03 pm, Eeyore
wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
Yo, Al:

A while ago I promised to publish something about my surroundings.

Any chance of prefixing such posts as OT ?

Graham

With respect, since when has any drivel from that source been actually
'on' any given topic?

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

Keith G wrote:
"Andre Jute" wrote in message
ups.com...
Yo, Al:

A while ago I promised to publish something about my surroundings.

You are cordially invited to come ride with me down to Kilmacsimon

OK, sounds like fun but not on mobile 'gym kit' - I prefer summat a little
quicker:

http://www.apah69.dsl.pipex.com/mybikes/mybikes.htm

;-)

Kiefer "Chainsaw" Gee of the Bletchley Hell's Angels rides again!

(Unsigned out of fear that he will discover my address)

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Keith G Keith G is offline

"Andre Jute" wrote in message
ups.com...

Keith G wrote:
"Andre Jute" wrote in message
ups.com...
Yo, Al:

A while ago I promised to publish something about my surroundings.

You are cordially invited to come ride with me down to Kilmacsimon

OK, sounds like fun but not on mobile 'gym kit' - I prefer summat a
little
quicker:

http://www.apah69.dsl.pipex.com/mybikes/mybikes.htm

;-)

Kiefer "Chainsaw" Gee of the Bletchley Hell's Angels rides again!

Bletchley?

No - I always found that place to a bit of an enigma....

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Andre Jute Andre Jute is offline

Keith G wrote:
"Andre Jute" wrote in message
ups.com...

Keith G wrote:
"Andre Jute" wrote in message
ups.com...
Yo, Al:

A while ago I promised to publish something about my surroundings.

You are cordially invited to come ride with me down to Kilmacsimon

OK, sounds like fun but not on mobile 'gym kit' - I prefer summat a
little
quicker:

http://www.apah69.dsl.pipex.com/mybikes/mybikes.htm

;-)

Kiefer "Chainsaw" Gee of the Bletchley Hell's Angels rides again!

Bletchley?

No - I always found that place to a bit of an enigma....

I thought Jekyll and Hyde would be a bit obvious... Keith G the
civilized audiophile AND wildhaired biker. -- Andre Jute

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Keith G Keith G is offline

"Andre Jute" wrote in message
ups.com...

Keith G wrote:
"Andre Jute" wrote in message
ups.com...

Keith G wrote:
"Andre Jute" wrote in message
ups.com...
Yo, Al:

A while ago I promised to publish something about my surroundings.

You are cordially invited to come ride with me down to Kilmacsimon

OK, sounds like fun but not on mobile 'gym kit' - I prefer summat a
little
quicker:

http://www.apah69.dsl.pipex.com/mybikes/mybikes.htm

;-)

Kiefer "Chainsaw" Gee of the Bletchley Hell's Angels rides again!

Bletchley?

No - I always found that place to a bit of an enigma....

I thought Jekyll and Hyde would be a bit obvious... Keith G the
civilized audiophile AND wildhaired biker. -- Andre Jute

You are *presuming* two things:

'Civilised' - it's been quite a while since I bin called that!

And *hair*.....??

:-)

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

Andre Jute wrote:

Patrick Turner, feeling homesick after being away from Ireland for
at least tree generations...

Actually, you're lucky to have been born in Sydney or Melbourne or
wherever it was, presumably not Canberra which is a "planned" city
built postwar, judging by the guvmint buildings.

I grew up in Turramurra, a green conservative gardening suburb
12 miles from Sydney central.

I was bored stiff in such a place, and I gladly moved out at age 20
to the inner suburb of Balmain, then very much a worker suburb
and I was a worker, and the shielas were hot and there was a pub,
and other motorcyclists.
It was very green around the harbour foreshores, and largely a laid back
and very
pleasant place to be while I worked hard, studied furiously,
rode motor bikes, drank, smoked, and chased shielas.

I wasn't keen on staying in Sydney, and accepted a transfer to
Canberra, which I quite liked, because it was planned, and not such as
jumbled mess
that Sydney was.

Sydney and my old stamping grounds have now changed completely,
and I hate the ****ing place, and I am glad to
stay here in Canberra where a bicycle can be ridden on a separate
network of paths totalling hundreds of kilometres,
and many have good views and soul uplifiting outlooks.
Canberra used to be mainly only for the Commonwealth Public Service
but there's just as many buildings devoted to private enterprize.

At least around
Sydney and Melbourne it is green.

Its green where I am now, but its not always green.
Oz is a heck of a dry continent, and prior to last jan we had
4 years where it hardly rained and water restrictions are enforced.
My lawn became brown dirt, but I ain't fussy about gardens;
dat white fella stuff, makin it all look like old bloody pomme land.
I don't care about the dry killing the trees, grass and gardens;
its all very unatural and planned too much.

We had enough rain in feb, mar to make it all green and I have to mow
what
weeds and grass came up as a result. But its likely it won't rain until
next december,
who knows, I don't control the weather god, but I do think he's upset,
and getting the ****s, and allowing the planet to heat up
with greenhouse gases, and maybe he plans to kick us off the joint
in the next few hundred years.
I don't care a rat's arse.
To stop the greenhouse effect, we need to drastically cut CO2 emissions,
and
by next friday please.
But its gonna send electricity and gas prices and everything else up
about 8,000%,
and pretty soon people will just accept the heat and won't mind the
demise of the species
along with all the others we have caused to dissappear. Does anyone
seriously
believe anyone is going to make the necessary lifestyle change to
live without carbon? Pigs will fly first.

The pollytishuns are running around like headless chooks not knowing how
to adress the issue.
You just can't tell the people, on monday,
" Dear citizens, on account doom and gloom forecast by experts, prices
for
changing the way you live to stop CO2 will now rise by 8,000%.
To get the ball rolling, taxes will triple from next wednesday onwards.
Don't forget to vote Labour in the coming Federal Elections,
Good Evening all."

I don't like Labour's chances, but the same deal is coming from the
other parties....

I like to stay upwind of the argy bargy in Parliment only 10Km across
town
where a 1 billion dollar Parliament Building is dug into the
hill, so people can walk over the top of the polytishuns.
Its made not the slightest difference, this heighting of the population
and if BS was music, Parliament proceedings would be brass bands.

I was born in a desert where there
were two colours, red dust and dull olive green succulent plants with
spikes on the leaves and an a rash of needles on the fruit to keep the
vertebrates away. When I first came to Ireland (with a junior side to
play rugby), I silently counted the greens I saw, because of course
the jocks were blind to it. A few years later, when I was in
advertising I used to come to Ireland regularly to play golf. On one
occasion I brought one of my art directors with me because the client
I was playing with liked him. He and I shouted out the names of the
hundreds of different greens we saw as we drove through Galway and
Cork and Kerry.

Sounds like a golfer's paradise. Golf was way too boring for me.
I don't like walking either. Used to, but the knees protest now,
and I walk around here at work enough, and ride, where
I see more, go further...

He was Lebanese; he'd never seen so many greens in his
life outside of a colour chart used for mixing printer's inks.
Actually, my pics give a very poor idea of what it is normally like in
the lanes because we're just at the end of an unusually cold winter,
and the council sent the hedgetrimmers down that lane I photographed a
week before I went, leaving lots of dead brown stalks -- normally the
hedgerows are another profusion of green reaching for the road like
the Day of the Triffids.

I heard in England that hedges are being removed as fast as chain saws
can allow.
Its a calamity for many species of course....

Maybe they'll leave Ireland alone, but the rest of the British Isles
will be parking lots and condominiums.

I was very attracted to the irish music when I heard it played in the
pubs in Sydney in the late 60s.

There are some fine fiddlers amoung the Irish, and
only the most stony hearted person cannot feel emotions when the irish
get musical.

The trouble is that the world in which the folk music was generated, and
world where folk music reposed with utmost grace is now changing
at a rate which is cause for despair.

But irsh comes across best with an SET amp........

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

Eeyore wrote:

Andre Jute wrote:

[...]

I think ye should hasen to the Auld Sod, ye are in need of
complete refreshment of your soul, for 'tis bitter and fiesty.

Patrick Turner.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

Eeyore wrote:

Andre Jute wrote:

[...]

Wyncote, PA- Hide quoted text -

Hardly bitter. Feisty always. There is far too much good in my life to
be bitter. But sources of poison need stomping even if one is well-
content otherwise.

Take care,

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

Eeyore wrote:

Andre Jute wrote:

[...]

Just when you thought you have got the last patch of weeds
out of the garden, another lot of weed seeds blow in.

There is a point where one has to decide how far one goes about
weed control, lest one's life be devoted to weed removal
rather than growing crops, or chiselling out some large sculpture,
painting a picture, or building a sound system.

I can't stomp on all I think deserves it. I'm too busy.

Patrick Turner.

Take care,

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

Eeyore wrote:

Andre Jute wrote:

[...]

I wear size 13 (US) shoes. So, even in my chosen path I have
sufficient leeway to stomp without acquiring bitterness or straying
from the path. Add to that the fact that good invective can be quite
cleansing.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
tubegarden tubegarden is offline

On Apr 10, 7:23?pm, "Andre Jute" wrote:
Yo, Al:

Yo, RATs!

I have a bicycle. 3x4=12 speed. I rode it to the grocery and pharmacy
for a few years when autos got too expensive. They are again, through
careful planning and silly health expenses. The bike will not work for
me, now, as I am past pedals.

Thanks for thinking of me.

Some of the guys on this site are mental. Even me, perhaps.

Happy Ears!
Al

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Iain Churches Iain Churches is offline

"tubegarden" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 10, 7:23?pm, "Andre Jute" wrote:
Yo, Al:

Yo, RATs!

I have a bicycle. 3x4=12 speed. I rode it to the grocery and pharmacy
for a few years when autos got too expensive. They are again, through
careful planning and silly health expenses. The bike will not work for
me, now, as I am past pedals.

Thanks for thinking of me.

Some of the guys on this site are mental. Even me, perhaps.

Yo Al.

They are all totally bananas except you and I (and I am not
too sure about you either:-)

Best wishes
Iain

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Cavello Cavello is offline

On Apr 11, 4:04 pm, Patrick Turner wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:

[...]

The rest of the British Isles? You seem to be implying that Ireland is
in the British Isles. This is not the case, as most Irish person would
be quick to remind you.

I was very attracted to the irish music when I heard it played in the
pubs in Sydney in the late 60s.

There are some fine fiddlers amoung the Irish, and
only the most stony hearted person cannot feel emotions when the irish
get musical.

The trouble is that the world in which the folk music was generated, and
world where folk music reposed with utmost grace is now changing
at a rate which is cause for despair.

But irsh comes across best with an SET amp........

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Cavello wrote:

Patrick Turnerwrote:

I heard in England that hedges are being removed as fast as chain saws
can allow.

Where did you hear this ?

Its a calamity for many species of course....

Maybe they'll leave Ireland alone, but the rest of theBritishIsles
will be parking lots and condominiums.

The rest of the British Isles? You seem to be implying that Ireland is
in the British Isles. This is not the case, as most Irish person would
be quick to remind you.

The island of Ireland is indeed an island of the British Isles. It's merely a
consequence of geography.

The British Isles is a group of islands off the northwest coast of continental
Europe comprising Great Britain, Ireland and a number of smaller islands.[1] The
term is somewhat controversial in the Republic of Ireland and with nationalists
in Northern Ireland.[2] Some common uncertainties as to what is included in the
group are discussed in British Isles (terminology).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_isles

In brief, the main terms and their simple explanations are as follows.
Geographical terms
The British Isles is an archipelago consisting of Great Britain, Ireland and
many smaller surrounding islands. There are some problems associated with the
use of this term and its definition. Great Britain is the largest island of the
archipelago (sometimes informally referred to as Britain). Ireland is the second
largest island of the archipelago.

Ireland
The second largest island in the archipelago is Ireland. Most of the island is
in the Republic of Ireland. The north east of the island is in the United
Kingdom. That Ireland is a part of the geographical "British Isles" in no way
implies that all of the island is politically British.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles_(terminology)

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

Eeyore wrote:

Cavello wrote:

Patrick Turnerwrote:

[...]

Ireland isn't part of the British Isles rather like
Tasmania isn't part of Australia.
Ask any Taswegian, and they'll tell you, right enough to be sure.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On 11 Apr 2007 15:02:58 -0700, "Cavello" wrote:

Maybe they'll leave Ireland alone, but the rest of theBritishIsles
will be parking lots and condominiums.

The rest of the British Isles? You seem to be implying that Ireland is
in the British Isles. This is not the case, as most Irish person would
be quick to remind you.

When did they move it? Last time I was there it was still firmly
attached.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Cavello Cavello is offline

On Apr 12, 12:39 am, Eeyore
wrote:
Cavello wrote:
Patrick Turnerwrote:

I heard in England that hedges are being removed as fast as chain saws
can allow.

Where did you hear this ?

Its a calamity for many species of course....

Maybe they'll leave Ireland alone, but the rest of theBritishIsles
will be parking lots and condominiums.

The rest of theBritishIsles? You seem to be implying that Ireland is
in theBritishIsles. This is not the case, as most Irish person would
be quick to remind you.

The island of Ireland is indeed an island of theBritishIsles. It's merely a
consequence of geography.

You're making the mistake of assuming that geograhic terms are neutral
and agreed upon even if political ones are not. It's the geographic
term that I am telling you is incorrect. If you - or anyone else - has
a right to claim that Ireland is one of the "British" Isles, even
though the vast majority of the people who live there will laugh at
you for saying such a thing, then I have every right to say that
Britain is one of the "Irish Isles". It's pretty offensive to use such
a term without even bothering to consult the people who live there.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Cavello Cavello is offline

On Apr 12, 4:06 am, Patrick Turner wrote:
Eeyore wrote:

Cavello wrote:

Patrick Turnerwrote:

[...]

Tasmania is part of Australia the country, even though it's obviously
not part of Australia the land mass. That's not to say that most
Taswegians are happy to be part of Australia the country. I wouldn't
know whether they are or not, but just like a Shinner having to admit
that Belfast is ruled by Britain, it's a simple fact that right now
Tasmania is part of Australia the country.

Patrick Turner.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Cavello Cavello is offline

On Apr 12, 7:19 am, (Don Pearce) wrote:
On 11 Apr 2007 15:02:58 -0700, "Cavello" wrote:

Maybe they'll leave Ireland alone, but the rest of theBritishIsles
will be parking lots and condominiums.

The rest of theBritishIsles? You seem to be implying that Ireland is
in theBritishIsles. This is not the case, as most Irish person would
be quick to remind you.

When did they move it? Last time I was there it was still firmly
attached.

Was it? How so?

Pearce Consultinghttp://www.pearce.uk.com

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

On 12 Apr 2007 01:31:01 -0700, "Cavello" wrote:

On Apr 12, 7:19 am, (Don Pearce) wrote:
On 11 Apr 2007 15:02:58 -0700, "Cavello" wrote:

Maybe they'll leave Ireland alone, but the rest of theBritishIsles
will be parking lots and condominiums.

The rest of theBritishIsles? You seem to be implying that Ireland is
in theBritishIsles. This is not the case, as most Irish person would
be quick to remind you.

When did they move it? Last time I was there it was still firmly
attached.

Was it? How so?

Geology seemed to be doing a fine job.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Cavello Cavello is offline

On Apr 12, 9:36 am, (Don Pearce) wrote:
On 12 Apr 2007 01:31:01 -0700, "Cavello" wrote:

On Apr 12, 7:19 am, (Don Pearce) wrote:
On 11 Apr 2007 15:02:58 -0700, "Cavello" wrote:

Maybe they'll leave Ireland alone, but the rest of theBritishIsles
will be parking lots and condominiums.

The rest of theBritishIsles? You seem to be implying that Ireland is
in theBritishIsles. This is not the case, as most Irish person would
be quick to remind you.

When did they move it? Last time I was there it was still firmly
attached.

Was it? How so?

Geology seemed to be doing a fine job.

Geology didn't invent the term "British Isles", people did.

Pearce Consultinghttp://www.pearce.uk.com

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

On 11 Apr 2007 15:02:58 -0700, "Cavello" wrote:

Maybe they'll leave Ireland alone, but the rest of theBritishIsles
will be parking lots and condominiums.

The rest of the British Isles? You seem to be implying that Ireland is
in the British Isles. This is not the case, as most Irish person would
be quick to remind you.

Sure it is. Look at a map.

It isn't part of the political grouping "United Kingdom of Great
Britan and Northern Ireland". But that's quite another matter.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 03:06:15 GMT, Patrick Turner
wrote:

Ireland isn't part of the British Isles rather like
Tasmania isn't part of Australia.
Ask any Taswegian, and they'll tell you, right enough to be sure.

Has Tasmania got a separate government?

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

On 12 Apr 2007 01:26:12 -0700, "Cavello" wrote:

You're making the mistake of assuming that geograhic terms are neutral
and agreed upon even if political ones are not. It's the geographic
term that I am telling you is incorrect. If you - or anyone else - has
a right to claim that Ireland is one of the "British" Isles, even
though the vast majority of the people who live there will laugh at
you for saying such a thing, then I have every right to say that
Britain is one of the "Irish Isles". It's pretty offensive to use such
a term without even bothering to consult the people who live there.

I've never known Irish people object seriously to the geographical
name. They make it clear they aren't part of the United Kingdom, of
course.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

On 12 Apr 2007 01:31:01 -0700, "Cavello" wrote:

When did they move it? Last time I was there it was still firmly
attached.

Was it? How so?

Southern Ireland is the independent state. It is firmly attached to
Northern Ireland, part of the United Kingdom.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

On 12 Apr 2007 02:45:32 -0700, "Cavello" wrote:

On Apr 12, 9:36 am, (Don Pearce) wrote:
On 12 Apr 2007 01:31:01 -0700, "Cavello" wrote:

On Apr 12, 7:19 am, (Don Pearce) wrote:
On 11 Apr 2007 15:02:58 -0700, "Cavello" wrote:

Maybe they'll leave Ireland alone, but the rest of theBritishIsles
will be parking lots and condominiums.

The rest of theBritishIsles? You seem to be implying that Ireland is
in theBritishIsles. This is not the case, as most Irish person would
be quick to remind you.

When did they move it? Last time I was there it was still firmly
attached.

Was it? How so?

Geology seemed to be doing a fine job.

Geology didn't invent the term "British Isles", people did.

That's right - and it happened a long time before anybody had dreamed
up Ireland - it was Hibernia back then. But you can't arbitrarily
decide that a piece of land is not a part of an island group through a
piece of petty parochial politics. Ireland is geologically a part of
the British Isles (Insulas Brittanicas if you insist) and that is
that.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
bassett[_2_] bassett[_2_] is offline

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

Just when you thought you have got the last patch of weeds
out of the garden, another lot of weed seeds blow in.

There is a point where one has to decide how far one goes about
weed control, lest one's life be devoted to weed removal
rather than growing crops, or chiselling out some large sculpture,
painting a picture, or building a sound system.

I can't stomp on all I think deserves it. I'm too busy.

Patrick Turner.

Are you depressed, suffering from some dreaded mental disease, are
you perhaps a manic depressive, who has been of his medication and some
how thinks that the longer you stay of it, the better you will feel,
your head will stop going round and round, while your eye's rotate in
the opposite direct. Arr the dizzy spells, utopia, and the voices in
your head are telling you it must be the blood pressure playing up
again .

Does this sound all to familiar, It really is a lot like poor old
Patrick's life. O god it's happening again the garden gnomes trying to
root the cat, What will I do.

Now the poor buggers having a mid life crises, about the weeds in the
garden lawn, or is the garden lawn really a weed patch. please god help
me solve this problem. And when the 7day'ers arrive next time I WILL
make a pot of tea.

Poor Patrick what will become of him, and the poor man hasn't worked
out that he doesn't own the lawn or weed patch, what ever turns you
on.. No one owns there land in Canberra , It's all owned by Johnnie
and his mates, at capital hill.

So will he live longer then the land lease, and be cast out into the
wide blue yonder, with an instruction book on schematic and an old
rusty soldering iron.
Relegated to repairing old antique toasters. {no perhaps not, that's
an old joke from an old thread, clicks delete, missed, **** it leave
it in] but wait, it gets better, or worse depending on your perspective.
Now we find that he comes from the same little block of dirt that the
mad doctor Patnic escaped from. A bit like a couple of twins
[non-identical] escaping "middle earth" and if that,s not bad enough, he
has no liking for Margaret Thatcher. Just what will become of the man,
and he's so,so busy. Doing only he knows what. and now the bell on his
bike got it'self broken, ****,****,**** O god the pressure of it all.

bassett

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Cavello Cavello is offline

On Apr 12, 11:11 am, (Don Pearce) wrote:
[...]

I'm deciding it's not part of the island group. It is. What I am
objecting to is that using the term 'British Isles' to describe that
islan group. I think you've completely misunderstood what I said and I
hope this clarifies it.

Ireland is geologically a part of
the British Isles (Insulas Brittanicas if you insist) and that is
that.

No, it's not. 'British Isles' is the term you use to denote that
island group. It's not a term the vast majority of people who live in
Ireland would use, and on that basis it should not be used. Seeing as
neither the Irish government uses it to include Ireland, nor at this
stage the British government, it's time you caught up with reality.

Pearce Consultinghttp://www.pearce.uk.com- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Cavello Cavello is offline

On Apr 12, 11:06 am, Laurence Payne lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom
wrote:
On 12 Apr 2007 01:31:01 -0700, "Cavello" wrote:

When did they move it? Last time I was there it was still firmly
attached.

Was it? How so?

Southern Ireland is the independent state.

It's called "Ireland or "Eire", or if you want to use the official
description "Republic of Ireland".

It is firmly attached to
Northern Ireland, part of the United Kingdom.

This doesn't make it part of the British Isles. It merely makes it
part of the island of Ireland.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

On 12 Apr 2007 05:04:03 -0700, "Cavello" wrote:

[...]

No, it doesn't. It is not within your power to decide that Ireland is
not part of the British Isles group. You are in disagreement with
geology, and I'm afraid geology wins. If you want to change it, you
must find a way to detach Ireland from the group and float it away
somewhere else.

Ireland is geologically a part of
the British Isles (Insulas Brittanicas if you insist) and that is
that.

No, it's not. 'British Isles' is the term you use to denote that
island group. It's not a term the vast majority of people who live in
Ireland would use, and on that basis it should not be used. Seeing as
neither the Irish government uses it to include Ireland, nor at this
stage the British government, it's time you caught up with reality.

Please understand; you can't vote for geology - it isn't a democracy.
It is a physical fact. Maybe many people in Southern Ireland don't
much like the fact that they live in the British Isles, but that is
tough, I'm afraid. Their only option is to move elsewhere. They can
call it something else all they like, but just doing so cannot change
the simple fact. The island of Ireland is the second largest island in
the group called the British Isles.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio
Cavello Cavello is offline

On Apr 12, 11:00 am, Laurence Payne lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom
wrote:
On 11 Apr 2007 15:02:58 -0700, "Cavello" wrote:

Maybe they'll leave Ireland alone, but the rest of theBritishIsles
will be parking lots and condominiums.

The rest of the British Isles? You seem to be implying that Ireland is
in the British Isles. This is not the case, as most Irish person would
be quick to remind you.

Sure it is. Look at a map.

It isn't part of the political grouping "United Kingdom of Great
Britan and Northern Ireland". But that's quite another matter.

The Irish government doesn't recognise the term. The British
government's definition of the 'British Islands' doesn't include
Ireland, and most Irish people object to the use of the term. So no
amount of maps you could show me make any difference. It should be
clear that calling places by names that the people who live there
doesn't approve of should not be done.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

wrote:
On 12 Apr 2007 01:31:01 -0700, "Cavello" wrote:

When did they move it? Last time I was there it was still firmly
attached.

Was it? How so?

Southern Ireland is the independent state.

It's called "Ireland or "Eire", or if you want to use the official
description "Republic of Ireland".

No, Ireland describes the entire thing. Eire or the Irish Republic
describes the southern part. Ulster or Northern Ireland describes the
Northern part.

It is firmly attached to
Northern Ireland, part of the United Kingdom.

This doesn't make it part of the British Isles. It merely makes it
part of the island of Ireland.

It is the island of Ireland that is part of the British Isles. That is
a matter of geography, not politics. Because it is part of the island
of Ireland, Eire is part of the British Isles.

Why is it so important to you to pretend it is otherwise?

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio

wrote:
On 11 Apr 2007 15:02:58 -0700, "Cavello" wrote:

Maybe they'll leave Ireland alone, but the rest of theBritishIsles
will be parking lots and condominiums.

The rest of the British Isles? You seem to be implying that Ireland is
in the British Isles. This is not the case, as most Irish person would
be quick to remind you.

Sure it is. Look at a map.

It isn't part of the political grouping "United Kingdom of Great
Britan and Northern Ireland". But that's quite another matter.

The Irish government doesn't recognise the term. The British
government's definition of the 'British Islands' doesn't include
Ireland, and most Irish people object to the use of the term. So no
amount of maps you could show me make any difference. It should be
clear that calling places by names that the people who live there
doesn't approve of should not be done.

Now you are simply demonstrating ignorance. Go do some reading -
particularly find a decent atlas.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com

''pimp my ride'' bob wald Car Audio 5 October 13th 06 08:49 AM
Un-Pimp your ride WVK Audio Opinions 0 May 19th 06 11:33 PM
check out my ride No-one Car Audio 6 November 1st 05 02:57 AM
ya gotta have this in your ride..... billybeer Car Audio 1 December 4th 04 04:12 AM
MTV's Pimp my ride Brandon Buckner Car Audio 6 May 8th 04 04:05 AM