Default In-dash DVD Audio...with GPS?

Hi, I was so excited about the prospect of buying the AVIC-N1, until I
realized it didn't play MP3s on DVD discs. It took my girlfriend days
to cheer me up.

I then saw the Kenwood Excelon KVT-915DVD, and almost wet my pants, but
then again, I saw that it didn't have GPS bundled.

Now in all seriousness, does anyone know of any in-dash players that
play MP3s on DVDs as well as are GPS units? If these don't yet exist,
does anyone have the skinny on an upcoming release or any such
vaporware? I will be doing the installation (my first "aftermarket
installation", which Best Buy will be doing, not me!) in about 4-6
months, so I'm just trying to get all my information together, since I
only learned what a "din" was less than a week ago...and I'm holding
out hope that if a DVD MP3 / GPS unit doesn't exist by now, it may
exist by then!

Thanks very much!!

winkenstein

(my first "aftermarket
installation", which Best Buy will be doing, not me!)

let me be the first to say,
"don't let best buy install it"
you'd be better off findin g some one else,

no to best buy,
no to circuit city,
no to mikey shores,
no to good guys,
no to tweeters.
no to .................

do it yourself, you'll be better off in the long run,
or let a DEDICATED shop do it.

Fred Flinstone

I have the pioneer 7500 and just bought the nav unit AVIC 88dvd If you want
Dvd-Audio I believe there are only 4 models to choose from Pioneer, Eclipse,
Panasonic and Kenwood
Hope this helps
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Hey, thanks for the info, this is really awesome. I think I'll try out
the software and try playing the DVD disc here in my TV DVD player. If
it works there, I guess there's a good chance it will work on the
AVIC...I wonder if Best Buy has a working AVIC on display at any of its
stores so I could give it a try there. Unless, of course, someone here
has already tried this program out...?

Johnboy wrote:
In the Yahoo Group "PioneerMobileUniverse" someone suggested this
software to be able to do just this on the AVIC-N1:

http://www.audio-dvd-creator.com/

I haven't tried it . . . I don't even have my AVIC-N1 yet . . . but
from what it seems like is that it will basically make a really large
MP3 CD out of a DVD. I would also like this capability when I get my
AVIC-N1

Hope that helps.

John

wrote:
[...]

Vivek Kapoor

Most players do play MP3 on DVD, but the issue of concern is the maximum
number of songs stored in the playlist buffer. (the range varies between
150-250 songs), but the DVD would have around 1500 songs.

May be this topic can be highlighted. Anybody

Matt

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey, thanks for the info, this is really awesome. I think I'll try out
the software and try playing the DVD disc here in my TV DVD player. If
it works there, I guess there's a good chance it will work on the
AVIC...I wonder if Best Buy has a working AVIC on display at any of its
stores so I could give it a try there. Unless, of course, someone here
has already tried this program out...?

I have the software, and it works well. The downside is that converting,
say, 50 mp3 albums to AC3 format will take you upwards of 12 hours. The plus
side is that you have a choice of bitrates, up to 448Kb/sec for 5.1
surround. You can also use PCM format, but you would only get the standard 2
hours on a DVD.

Matt

wrote in message
oups.com...
And it works on your car player? Does this program allow batch
conversion, or is it one file at a time? Too bad you have to convert
the MP3s...

Thanks!

Yes, it works perfectly on my AVIC-X1. You can batch-convert or individual
files.

So it seems like a workable fix for this problem. Oh, one more
question, is there a song limit, either for the software or the AVIC
player? I'd assume that the player could read up to 999 songs on a
DVD...

Thanks.

Matt wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
And it works on your car player? Does this program allow batch
conversion, or is it one file at a time? Too bad you have to

convert
the MP3s...

Thanks!

Yes, it works perfectly on my AVIC-X1. You can batch-convert or

individual
files.

Matt

wrote in message
oups.com...
So it seems like a workable fix for this problem. Oh, one more
question, is there a song limit, either for the software or the AVIC
player? I'd assume that the player could read up to 999 songs on a
DVD...

From the helpfile:

Capacity limit:
The maximum play time in one DVD title is 6h:30m.
The maximum number of audio files in one DVD title is 98.
The maximum number of DVD title is 99.

So, you could theoretically have 99 titles per disc, each with 98 files (mp3
tracks), so your total number of tracks is 99 x 98 = 9702 tracks.

The largest project I have authored is, IIRC, 30 odd albums, mostly doubles,
which gives me 60 hours of music from one disc. That's at a bitrate of
192, sound quality is no different from a comparable mp3. If anything, it
seems a touch better.
The software is by no means perfect; the good part is that the developers do
listen to constructive criticism, and act upon it. Take a look at the
forums: http://www.dvdidle.net/audiodvdcreator/

Thanks.

You're welcome, hope it helps.

Do you know what the ouput is - are the files converted into "video"
files, or are they other data files? I'm wondering because if I pick
up the AVIC-N2 - or any player that disables DVD Video while the car is
in motion - this product won't work... Any info is much
appreciated. Thanks!!

Matt wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
So it seems like a workable fix for this problem. Oh, one more
question, is there a song limit, either for the software or the

AVIC
player? I'd assume that the player could read up to 999 songs on a
DVD...

From the helpfile: