Joe H.

Default Faceplate question

Maybe you can help me guys. My faceplate was stolen from my bookbag
when I fell asleep in the library at my university. Now I am stuck
with the unit without faceplate. I have the original box, manual etc.
The police officer told me to contact JVC (it's a JVC KD-S550) and
they will send me a new faceplate. But the price is around $100! I
also found all these sites that sell used faceplates, actually found
on eBay a faceplate for my stereo for $9, the question is: will any
JVC KD-S550 faceplate fit any other unit or do they have to match
somehow according to some serial number? So if I get a used one what
is the chance of it working?

Another question is, how do I get on of my CDs out from the unit? It
sounds dumb, but is there a way to do a mechanical eject like they
have on PC CD-drives?

Thanks for the help and Merry Christmas
-JH
KaeZoo

"Joe H." wrote in message
om...
Maybe you can help me guys. My faceplate was stolen from my bookbag
when I fell asleep in the library at my university. Now I am stuck
with the unit without faceplate. I have the original box, manual etc.
The police officer told me to contact JVC (it's a JVC KD-S550) and
they will send me a new faceplate. But the price is around $100! I
also found all these sites that sell used faceplates, actually found
on eBay a faceplate for my stereo for $9, the question is: will any
JVC KD-S550 faceplate fit any other unit or do they have to match
somehow according to some serial number? So if I get a used one what
is the chance of it working?

They're not coded. Within the same model, the faceplates are
interchangeable.

Another question is, how do I get on of my CDs out from the unit? It
sounds dumb, but is there a way to do a mechanical eject like they
have on PC CD-drives?

You can try disconnecting and reconnecting the harness. Some head units
will automatically spit out the CD when they reset, even without the face
attached. I don't know if your JVC works like this, but it's worth a try.