zoostation1965

Default Best Amp For Alpine SWR1241D?

Considering an MTX Thunder 801D or an Audiobahn A8000T. The sub will most
likely be given a ported enclosure. Any suggestions?

Paul Vina

I'd do the MTX amp. I've never been terribly enamored with the Audiobahn
stuff.

Paul Vina

"zoostation1965" wrote in message
Considering an MTX Thunder 801D or an Audiobahn A8000T. The sub will most
likely be given a ported enclosure. Any suggestions?

Captain Howdy

I have two MTX Thunder 801D's in my car right now pushing four Blaupunkt OD
12's. These amps are solid. You might also want to look at the MTX 6500D (last
years model of the 801D) it might save you a few bucks.

In article , "zoostation1965"
wrote:
Considering an MTX Thunder 801D or an Audiobahn A8000T. The sub will most
likely be given a ported enclosure. Any suggestions?

rick donnelly

I've got a JBL BP 300.1 driving mine, and am more than happy with it.
Incidentally, I tried mine ported and really didn't like the sound...it
sounded 'messy'. Of course, sound is in the ear of the listener...you may
love it. Good Luck!

Rick

wrote:
Considering an MTX Thunder 801D or an Audiobahn A8000T. The sub will most
likely be given a ported enclosure. Any suggestions?

zoostation1965

First of all I want to thank everyone who replied for their input.
The main thing I'm concerned about as far as the MTX amp goes is the fact
that it has no subsonic filter. It seems that most of the big name amp
makers include a subsonic filter in the design of their mono subwoofer amps.
I'm wondering why MTX doesn't use one. Exactly how important is this filter?
Would a ported subwoofer box be better off with a subsonic filter, or does
it really not matter that much?
.. .

wrote:
Considering an MTX Thunder 801D or an Audiobahn A8000T. The sub will

most
likely be given a ported enclosure. Any suggestions?

Mark Zarella

First of all I want to thank everyone who replied for their input.
The main thing I'm concerned about as far as the MTX amp goes is the fact
that it has no subsonic filter. It seems that most of the big name amp
makers include a subsonic filter in the design of their mono subwoofer

amps.
I'm wondering why MTX doesn't use one. Exactly how important is this

filter?
Would a ported subwoofer box be better off with a subsonic filter, or does
it really not matter that much?

I'm actually a big proponent of subsonic filters, especially in ported
boxes. But whether or not an amp has a subsonic filter is not a reflection
on the quality of the amp in general.

This is coming from someone who runs an amp without a subsonic filter, so
take it for what it's worth.

Captain Howdy

The new mtx amps have a variable 40Hz-200Hz crossover, so it would seem that
they do have a subsonic filter set somewhere around 30-35hz by looking that
the specs of the crossover..

In article , "zoostation1965"
wrote:
First of all I want to thank everyone who replied for their input.
The main thing I'm concerned about as far as the MTX amp goes is the fact
that it has no subsonic filter. It seems that most of the big name amp
makers include a subsonic filter in the design of their mono subwoofer amps.
I'm wondering why MTX doesn't use one. Exactly how important is this filter?
Would a ported subwoofer box be better off with a subsonic filter, or does
it really not matter that much?

Mark Zarella

The new mtx amps have a variable 40Hz-200Hz crossover, so it would seem
that
they do have a subsonic filter set somewhere around 30-35hz by looking

that
the specs of the crossover..

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

Captain Howdy

In article , "Mark Zarella" wrote:
The new mtx amps have a variable 40Hz-200Hz crossover, so it would seem

that
they do have a subsonic filter set somewhere around 30-35hz by looking

that
the specs of the crossover..

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

Well, since the crossover operates between 40Hz-200Hz and every crossover has
a roll-off slop, most between 18-24db per-active filtering should happen
somewhere around the 30-35hz range or the crossover should be rate at a lower
point. But yeah this is just a guess. What's your opinion?
Soundfreak03

Well, since the crossover operates between 40Hz-200Hz and every crossover has

a roll-off slop, most between 18-24db per-active filtering should happen
somewhere around the 30-35hz range or the crossover should be rate at a lower

point. But yeah this is just a guess. What's your opinion?

But the crossover in question works the other way. It rolls off the highs, not
the lows and allows signals below the crossover point to behave normally.
You make way too many assumptions.

Les

Mark Zarella

The new mtx amps have a variable 40Hz-200Hz crossover, so it would
seem
that
they do have a subsonic filter set somewhere around 30-35hz by looking

that
the specs of the crossover..

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

Well, since the crossover operates between 40Hz-200Hz and every crossover

has
a roll-off slop, most between 18-24db per-active filtering should happen
somewhere around the 30-35hz range or the crossover should be rate at a

lower
point. But yeah this is just a guess. What's your opinion?

Are you sure it's switchable HP/LP? When the range is so small and it's
just over low freqs, it tends to be just a LPF. At least thats how mtx used
to do it.

Kevin Murray

The 40Hz-200Hz spec is most likely the range of adjustment for the filter
cut off. It is unlikely that it's a bandpass filter from 40 to 200 Hz. In
order to be competitive in the hi-fi market, manufacturers want to be able
to spec their amplifier's bandwidth starting at 20Hz. There are probably
exceptions but this is generally true.

Not to knock you I know it's a petty thing, but a filter alone is not a
"crossover". A crossover needs at least two filters, one high pass and one
low pass. Otherwise nothing is crossing over...

"Captain Howdy" wrote in message
In article , "Mark Zarella"

wrote:
The new mtx amps have a variable 40Hz-200Hz crossover, so it would

seem
that
they do have a subsonic filter set somewhere around 30-35hz by looking

that
the specs of the crossover..

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

Well, since the crossover operates between 40Hz-200Hz and every crossover

has
a roll-off slop, most between 18-24db per-active filtering should happen
somewhere around the 30-35hz range or the crossover should be rate at a

lower
point. But yeah this is just a guess. What's your opinion?

Captain Howdy

It is just lowpass, it's a class D amp with a crossover what works between
40Hz-200Hz. What I can trying to figure out is, if the frequencies below 40hz
get filtered out as the frequencies above 200hz do. If there is filtering
below 40hz then that would act as a subsonic filter.

In article , "Mark Zarella"
wrote:
The new mtx amps have a variable 40Hz-200Hz crossover, so it would

seem
that
they do have a subsonic filter set somewhere around 30-35hz by looking
that
the specs of the crossover..

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

Well, since the crossover operates between 40Hz-200Hz and every crossover

has
a roll-off slop, most between 18-24db per-active filtering should happen
somewhere around the 30-35hz range or the crossover should be rate at a

lower
point. But yeah this is just a guess. What's your opinion?

Are you sure it's switchable HP/LP? When the range is so small and it's
just over low freqs, it tends to be just a LPF. At least thats how mtx used
to do it.

Captain Howdy

You are totally right. It is just a filter and not a crossover. poor choice of
wording on my part. Funny thing is the MTX even calls it a crossover.

Not to knock you I know it's a petty thing, but a filter alone is not a
"crossover". A crossover needs at least two filters, one high pass and one
low pass. Otherwise nothing is crossing over...

Mark Zarella

It is just lowpass, it's a class D amp with a crossover what works between
40Hz-200Hz. What I can trying to figure out is, if the frequencies below

40hz
get filtered out as the frequencies above 200hz do. If there is filtering
below 40hz then that would act as a subsonic filter.

The frequencies below 40Hz do not get filtered out in this amp. It's only
an LPF and nothing more. But yes, you're correct that if they did, it could
be considered a subsonic filter. Although 40Hz tends to be a bit higher
than what most people are looking for in a subsonic filter (although it may
actually be beneficial in certain cases).

Mark Zarella

You are totally right. It is just a filter and not a crossover. poor
choice of
wording on my part. Funny thing is the MTX even calls it a crossover.

Yeah, most manufacturers refer to their filters as "crossovers", even when
they're not. Just as the continue to refer to average power as "RMS power"
and class D amps as "digital". Not a big deal at all, but a bit sloppy I
think.

Soundfreak03

Do you know this for a fact or are you making an assumption yourself?

Because its a low pass filter. Therefore allowing the lows to pass. It would
not make logical sense for it to be a band pass filter. None of the lit from
MTX supports that. So without getting the amp in question or calling MTX
directly it is a partial assumption, but one based on logic and research of the
amp at hand, not an off the wall pulled out your ass assumption like yours.

Les
Captain Howdy

That's what I was wondering

That's what I wasn't sure about.

The frequencies below 40Hz do not get filtered out in this amp. It's only
an LPF and nothing more.

That true most subsonic filters work around the 25-30hz range and 40 is a
little high. I couldn't agree more.

But yes, you're correct that if they did, it could
be considered a subsonic filter. Although 40Hz tends to be a bit higher
than what most people are looking for in a subsonic filter (although it may
actually be beneficial in certain cases).

Tha Ghee

wrote:
The new mtx amps have a variable 40Hz-200Hz crossover, so it would

seem
that
they do have a subsonic filter set somewhere around 30-35hz by looking

that
the specs of the crossover..

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

Well, since the crossover operates between 40Hz-200Hz and every crossover

has
a roll-off slop, most between 18-24db per-active filtering should happen
somewhere around the 30-35hz range or the crossover should be rate at a

lower
point. But yeah this is just a guess. What's your opinion?

the 40 hz is the lowest you can set the cut off, I've seen some amps go down
to 30Hz but the number your thinking of it's the 1/3 point

Tha Ghee

"Mark Zarella" wrote in message
It is just lowpass, it's a class D amp with a crossover what works

between
40Hz-200Hz. What I can trying to figure out is, if the frequencies

below
40hz
get filtered out as the frequencies above 200hz do. If there is

filtering
below 40hz then that would act as a subsonic filter.

The frequencies below 40Hz do not get filtered out in this amp. It's only
an LPF and nothing more. But yes, you're correct that if they did, it

could
be considered a subsonic filter. Although 40Hz tends to be a bit higher
than what most people are looking for in a subsonic filter (although it

may
actually be beneficial in certain cases).

if you have a ported box with a 50Hz peak you'll need the 40Hz cutoff.