kbuzz

Default Vintage amp suggestions for fisher 400c- Fisher or not?

Would appreciate any opinions on a synergistic match for my
refurbished 400c. I prefer a warmer more euphonic sound- which would
balance nicely with my detailed evs modded phillips sacd and smaller
coincident spearkers which are decidedly NOT MIDRANGEY

Initial thoughts are as follows:

Fisher:

Would a pair of say 20a or 30 monoblocks be warmer sounding then the
stereo sa line. Would their be any impedence or matching problems
with using a particular fisher mono with the 400c? Most use the sa
line. Any thoughts on sound and desirability of the smaller monos
versus the later 50 or 70 and 80 AZ models?

Mcintosh:

Between mc 30 v. mc225 at probably twice the price. Again have any
thoughts on either being a good mate? Most mc devotees utilize mac
preamps

SoundCraftsman c500,or maybe an Eico would also be nice..... What
about a leak, anyone every use thier amps with non leak pres..

thanks in advance for any suggestions
michael Mueller

hello all.
I use my 400c to triamp my system. With a y connection. It easily drives
2 Dynaco Mark III's and a Dynaco ST-70. I switch between the 400c and a
Heathkit SP-2A. I like the phono section better in the heathkit and the
Line section in the 400c.
Mike M

Walt Blaney

Try a fisher 680, 660, or 690 power amp. they're a little hard to
find, but do turn up on ebay from time to time....summers about done
and everybody that's been out beating the
yard/garage/estate/porch/moving sales all summer will be posting their
"trophies" pretty soon...October usually brings the best selection
(IMHO). You might even consider a good 6v6 amp like a Magnavox console
amp.
If you're looking for "warm" "mellow" sound, try a pair of Fisher
speakers...Now then yes indeed, they did make some crapo speakers, but
the xP series was very very good...especially the Xp-6, Xp-7, xP-9,
xp-10. and the (quite rare) xp-18. These pieces all use Alnico
speakers, have cloth sorrounds (no rot), and are well made. The best
news is that they are generally "undiscovered" or spurned by the
collectors because of the bad reputation the other crapo speaker
lines. They turn up fairly regularly at the thrift shops and
sales...and occiasionally on Ebay. they generally sell for less than
$100! Remember, Avery fisher was a champion of classical music and
his speakers were designed to reproduce the acoustic concert hall
performance. They aren't to everybody's tastes..especially for those
who are after the mythical "neutral" sound...there's nothing neutral
about a concerthall performance... Generally speaking, they are
cheap and plentiful enough that one can afford to experiment with
them. If you don't like them you usually can get your investment back.
If you'd like some technical data, send me your email address...mine
is I'll email it to you. Have fun, Walt