Posted to rec.audio.tubes
west west is offline

Default Synergy or components?

To maximize profits, should I dismember Dynaco ST-70s & Dynaco MK-IIIs to
auction or sell the individual components, or is leaving the working amps
intact more profitable? All opinions welcomed & thanks.

Cordially,
west

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Sander deWaal Sander deWaal is offline

"west" said:

To maximize profits, should I dismember Dynaco ST-70s & Dynaco MK-IIIs to
auction or sell the individual components, or is leaving the working amps
intact more profitable? All opinions welcomed & thanks.

Depends.
Bratwig seems to want to get rid of all the ST70s and Mk. IIIs in
general, but he usually doesn't pay for these items.
He says he dives dumpsters for Dyna iron, and it seems to be enough to
at least finance his Internet connection.

Just tell him you have the last original stock ST70, he might be
persuaded to pay a premium price to be able to part out the trannies
for guitar amps of the very last stock ST70 out here ;-)

Cordially,
west

But seriously, I don't know about the ST70, but a working pair of Mk.
IIIs will IMO sell for much more than just the individual components.
That will amount to just the transformers, as the chassis, PCB, tube
sockets and even the tubes aren't very interesting.

Check E-bay for prices of complete, working units and compare with the
prices asked for just the Dyna iron.

--
"Due knot trussed yore spell chequer two fined awl miss steaks."
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Sander deWaal wrote:
But seriously, I don't know about the ST70, but a working pair of Mk.
IIIs will IMO sell for much more than just the individual components.
That will amount to just the transformers, as the chassis, PCB, tube
sockets and even the tubes aren't very interesting.

That, and there are analogs of most Dyna iron available new at present,
so a vintage transformer already has a ceiling price. This is
(apparently) not true of complete units.

Then consider that some of the cloth-wire transformers will have pretty
brittle leads, so in your headlong rush for "maximum profit" in
piecemealing you may ruin an otherwise good unit in the disassembly.
And if you cut the leads vs. de-soldering them, you run the chance of
them not being long enough for their future home without splicing. This
*will* upset some buyers. Lastly, consider that by selling an
individual part, you will ethically have to guarantee that part... even
a purblind idiot can verify the condition of an individual transformer,
and that same idiot may be forgiven for stating the complete item is
sold "AS-IS, UNTESTED". Similarly, tubes, sockets, boards, caps and so
forth. With complete components, actual operational condition seems not
to matter much.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
west west is offline

"Bret Ludwig" wrote in message
ups.com...

Sander deWaal wrote:
"west" said:

To maximize profits, should I dismember Dynaco ST-70s & Dynaco MK-IIIs

auction or sell the individual components, or is leaving the working

amps
intact more profitable? All opinions welcomed & thanks.

Depends.
Bratwig seems to want to get rid of all the ST70s and Mk. IIIs in
general, but he usually doesn't pay for these items.

I just think it's fraudulent to build a new stock ST70 today or
stock-restore an old one and call it a serious amplifier when it is a
very flawed piece and its flaws are well known, and to an extent,
fixable.

He says he dives dumpsters for Dyna iron, and it seems to be enough to
at least finance his Internet connection.

There aren't any in dumpsters anymore. Oddly, there never were that
many Dynas trashed. Fishers, Scotts, Lafayettes, Sansuis, Pioneers,
were what we got.

But seriously, I don't know about the ST70, but a working pair of Mk.
IIIs will IMO sell for much more than just the individual components.
That will amount to just the transformers, as the chassis, PCB, tube
sockets and even the tubes aren't very interesting.

Yet they get a ridiculous $100+ for the repro chassis.

Check E-bay for prices of complete, working units and compare with the
prices asked for just the Dyna iron.

Used Dyna iron is worth little since new identical OPTs and improved
replacement powers are available at semi-reasonable prices, and the old
ones are just that-old. Modern insulation and other materials are much
better.

Bret,

It's been a while since I hung out here. Are you saying that the Hammond
OPTs are a better quality than the original Dynaco OPTs? That wasn't the
case a couple of years ago.

west

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

west wrote:

Bret,

It's been a while since I hung out here. Are you saying that the Hammond
OPTs are a better quality than the original Dynaco OPTs? That wasn't the
case a couple of years ago.

Careful, it will take thumbscrews and hot coals to get Bret to write
anything nice about anything Dynaco.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Bob H. Bob H. is offline

If you search ebay for transformer sets, you'll probably find out that
vintage transformer sets rarely bring in more than $200, and usually
come in at around $100 to 175. Of course there are some exceptions,
such as Peerless and the like. The power transformer and choke around
$50 to 70 or so. The cage might brind in a bit. But the complete amp
never goes for under around $250, and often passes $300. A quick
search brought up $300 plus for most of them.

One thing about these items is that seperately, they can dip and surge
in bidding, and you can find yourself getting a bit less depending on
who's looking. There are a lot less people looking of individual
components than the complete amps, I think.

Couple this with the fact that the Dynaco's are classic amps, and can
and do sound pretty good for audio. Many new-timers cut their teeth on
the ST-70, due to the large number of mods and information on the amps.
It seems a no-brainer to me. Clean it up a bit, check it out, provide
good pictures and an accurate description.

Bob H.

west wrote:
To maximize profits, should I dismember Dynaco ST-70s & Dynaco MK-IIIs to
auction or sell the individual components, or is leaving the working amps
intact more profitable? All opinions welcomed & thanks.

Cordially,
west

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Bob H. Bob H. is offline

I forgot about the tubes. They can bring a substantial amount of
money. You can sell the amp as working but without tubes. That way
you could keep the amp intact, lose some because of the lack of tubes,
and sell off the tubes. Mullard EL-34's bring in a premium if they are
in good shape. 7199's around $25 each. A Mullard 5ar4 upwards of $60
or more if in good shape. The same with the Mk III's.

There are plenty of great new stock tubes available for both amps,
possibly with the exception of the 7199's. I'd keep those with the
amp, myself. Ditto for the 6an8's

I think I've just about covered it by now. Oh wait! The line

good luck
Bob H.