Posted to rec.audio.high-end
DJ[_3_] DJ[_3_] is offline

Default Recommendations of DIY high-end floor standing speaker (complete) kits?

Either on a two-way or a three-way design (the more full-range the better).
I'm kind of leaning towards a DIY ProAc Response 2.5 kit since this was one
of my favorite speakers for music of all time.

Also, I would prefer a kit that comes with an assembled crossover network
and an assembled and finished cabinet as well.

Although a high level of value is mainly what I'm looking for, the most
important quality is the musical performance of the speaker system.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions...

Best regards,

-DJ

P.S. If you think building my own would prove to be a better musical value
(I do have some experience in building speakers over the last 20 years or so
as a novice hobbiest), I welcome specific driver combination recommendations
as well. Thanks again.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Dec 2, 9:27*pm, "DJ" wrote:
Either on a two-way or a three-way design (the more full-range the better).
I'm kind of leaning towards a DIY ProAc Response 2.5 kit since this was one
of my favorite speakers for music of all time.

Also, I would prefer a kit that comes with an assembled crossover network
and an assembled and finished cabinet as well.

Although a high level of value is mainly what I'm looking for, the most
important quality is the musical performance of the speaker system.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions...

Best regards,

-DJ

P.S. *If you think building my own would prove to be a better musical value
(I do have some experience in building speakers over the last 20 years or so
as a novice hobbiest), I welcome specific driver combination recommendations
as well. *Thanks again.

I will suggest that some of your parameters are in conflict. If you
want a complete kit requiring only a screwdriver and (perhaps) some
caulk, that is hardly DIY. Given also that you want the cabinet to be
assembled (and presumably also finished), you won't save much on
shipping or labor either, nor will you have any freedom as to driver
sizes and basic system design. So, you will arrive at a pre-designed
speaker of pre-designated components with limited savings and - worst
of all - no opportunity to audition the results. Further to that, any
errors made in the final assembly will be yours and only yours. I see
no virtue in this choice.

There are MANY sources and venues for speaker design, everything from
single-driver folded horns to complex multi-driver systems.
Additionally, classic past designs from the AR3a through various
electrostatic designs are available as kits using modern materials and
benefiting from all that has been learned over the last 80 years of
advances in technology and materials.

Don't limit yourself.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
jamesgangnc jamesgangnc is offline

So the only part you want to do is to use a phillips head screwdriver to
attach the parts to the cabinet? Not exactly diy.

If you are concerned about outcome you can stick with a closed cabinet and
the speaker manufacturer of most decent speakers will provide an optimum
closed cabinet volume for you. With quality speakers and a reasonable
crossover you will be ok.

These guys have a lot of parts including pre-built crossovers
http://www.partsexpress.com/ and there are other sites as well. I'd stay
away from some of the "weird" diy projects they have but many of the more
mainstream ones are fine.

I recommend using the furniture quality lumber from lowes or home depot. It
costs more but can be directly finished rather than trying to apply a
finishable surface over high density particle board. I also find it cuts
way better too. Imho real wood makes better sounding speakers but that is a
personal preference. Here's my main diy floor speakers made from oak lumber
from lowes (ignore the teenager's toys) They are a dual closed cabinet
design. The inside is divided into two closed cabinets, one for the woofers
and one for the mid-bass. As you can see the oak finishes great. And it's
easy, a little fine sanding, stain, and a few coats of clear from a spray
can.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jamesgangnc/speaker.jpg

"DJ" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
JimC JimC is offline

Peter Wieck wrote:
On Dec 2, 9:27 pm, "DJ" wrote:

[...]

Regarding the MANY sources and venues for speaker design, where would we
locate sources of designs or kits for constructing classic past designs
such as the AR3a, or good current designs? Any suggestions or opinions
regarding choices and sources of kits or designs that have good
reputations, measured by percentage of systems completed and general
customer satisfaction with the results? In other words, I already have
multiple interests and responsibilities, and I don't want to get
involved with an extensive, time-consuming project, particularly if
equivalent or better results would be available on the used market.

Jim Cate