Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Tony Pike Tony Pike is offline

Default Melos TM-90st amp overheating

I have had no luck in finding a schematic, but have made progress
to replacing 2 resistors and 1 diode so that 1 of the 3 fuses doesn't burn
out on start up anymore. When the amp is turned on, in 1 minute one KT 88
gets fire red and extremely hot (Brand new Electro Harminex valves) and 1
6LU8 does the same thing. I turned it off and that's how it sits. Both these
tubes are on the same circut, left bank. Any suggestions as to where I go
from here????
Regards,
Tony.....

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Tony Pike wrote:
When the amp is turned on, in 1 minute one KT 88
gets fire red and extremely hot (Brand new Electro Harminex valves) and 1
6LU8 does the same thing. I turned it off and that's how it sits.

From what you describe in no particular order:

Bias is off.
Cold-solder/broken trace/short somewhere. Since this thing has PCBs,
start there. Also be sure to make sure that there are no bridges
between traces and other crud on the boards.
Intermittent tube pin or socket.
Open resistor somewhere.

If these tubes are brand new, do you have the old ones yet? And if they
are put in place, does the same thing happen or not?

A schematic would be of great help.

Good luck with it.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Melos schematic Tony Pike High End Audio 2 April 23rd 11 12:12 PM
Melos tube replacement amy radcliff High End Audio 0 July 2nd 05 07:57 PM
Overheating Head Unit Dylan X Car Audio 8 July 10th 04 12:46 AM
Amp overheating? csgardner Car Audio 2 August 30th 03 06:46 PM
Overheating car radio ? Jeff Car Audio 0 August 1st 03 12:29 AM