J Mac

Default need cheap preamp for dynamic mic for mic input on computer

I want to use a low cost dynamic microphone that I have in
the computer mic in (for learning language) and the one I have
is barely audible with the mic input turned all the way up.

I need a cheap preamp to boost the signal.

Any ideas? I thought surely it was something Radio Shack would
have but I can't find one.

Thanks

Arny Krueger

"J Mac" wrote in message

I want to use a low cost dynamic microphone that I have in
the computer mic in (for learning language) and the one I
have is barely audible with the mic input turned all the
way up.

Check the windows mixer record panel for a setting for
higher gain, associated with the mic input.

I need a cheap preamp to boost the signal.

Any ideas? I thought surely it was something Radio
Shack would have but I can't find one.

One of the irony's of life is that one of the cheapest
modestly good mic preamps around isn't a mic preamp - its
the Berhinger UB 502 mixer. About $40. Just hook it up to
the line input on your computer, and bypass the internal mic
preamp.

J Mac wrote:
I want to use a low cost dynamic microphone that I have in
the computer mic in (for learning language) and the one I have
is barely audible with the mic input turned all the way up.

I need a cheap preamp to boost the signal.

Any ideas? I thought surely it was something Radio Shack would
have but I can't find one.

If you're looking for something low cost that will 'just work', rather
than making high-end studio quality recordings, maybe a little
behringer mixer is just the thing for you. The UB502 can be had at
around $30 (new) on eBay (recommended retail price $44,99 USD, assuming
you're in the States).

http://www.behringer.com/UB502/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Before anything though, you may want to make sure you're not
accidentally using the line input of your soundcard instead of the mic
input.

Jim Gregory

wrote in message
oups.com...
J Mac wrote:
I want to use a low cost dynamic microphone that I have in
the computer mic in (for learning language) and the one I have
is barely audible with the mic input turned all the way up.

I need a cheap preamp to boost the signal.

Any ideas? I thought surely it was something Radio Shack would
have but I can't find one.

If you're looking for something low cost that will 'just work', rather
than making high-end studio quality recordings, maybe a little
behringer mixer is just the thing for you. The UB502 can be had at
around $30 (new) on eBay (recommended retail price $44,99 USD, assuming
you're in the States).

http://www.behringer.com/UB502/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Now, that is amazingly cheap for a basic mic preamp quoted with very low
distortion, but it could do with another 12dB of available gain to be
considered pro.

Before anything though, you may want to make sure you're not
accidentally using the line input of your soundcard instead of the mic
input.

Absolutely!

RD Jones

wrote:

J Mac wrote:
I want to use a low cost dynamic microphone that I have in
the computer mic in (for learning language) and the one I have
is barely audible with the mic input turned all the way up.

I need a cheap preamp to boost the signal.

Any ideas? I thought surely it was something Radio Shack would
have but I can't find one.

If you're looking for something low cost that will 'just work', rather
than making high-end studio quality recordings, maybe a little
behringer mixer is just the thing for you. The UB502 can be had at
around $30 (new) on eBay (recommended retail price $44,99 USD, assuming
you're in the States).

http://www.behringer.com/UB502/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Before anything though, you may want to make sure you're not
accidentally using the line input of your soundcard instead of the mic
input.

Good point, which makes me consider another
possible issue - that the mic input jack is
stereo and the mating plug going in is not
correct. For example if the mic plug (or
adapter) is tip/sleeve only the ring may be
getting shorted causing the low level.
Try using a TRS mini plug and wire the mic
to the sleeve and tip only.
Just a thought, may save needing a preamp.

Is the mic 'known good output level' ?

rd

LAB

The input mini jack has only power for electret mics on the ring, then
you must connect dynamic mics between ground and tip. If mic is balanced,
you must connect pin 1 with pin 3 (the middle pin) of the XLR connector.

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"RD Jones" wrote in message oups.com...

wrote:

http://www.behringer.com/UB502/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Before anything though, you may want to make sure you're not
accidentally using the line input of your soundcard instead of the mic
input.

Good point, which makes me consider another
possible issue - that the mic input jack is
stereo and the mating plug going in is not
correct. For example if the mic plug (or
adapter) is tip/sleeve only the ring may be
getting shorted causing the low level.
Try using a TRS mini plug and wire the mic
to the sleeve and tip only.
Just a thought, may save needing a preamp.

'Twould be my thought as well.

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"J Mac" wrote in message

I want to use a low cost dynamic microphone that I have in
the computer mic in (for learning language) and the one I
have is barely audible with the mic input turned all the
way up.

Check the windows mixer record panel for a setting for higher gain,
associated with the mic input.

I need a cheap preamp to boost the signal.

Any ideas? I thought surely it was something Radio
Shack would have but I can't find one.

One of the irony's of life is that one of the cheapest modestly good mic
preamps around isn't a mic preamp - its the Berhinger UB 502 mixer. About
$40. Just hook it up to the line input on your computer, and bypass the
internal mic preamp.

That's incredible! How do they do it? There's 11 controls on that device,
8 TRW inputs and an XLR. Even if the box was empty, it would be a
sensational bargain at $40.

What I need is a small, battery-operated stereo mike preamp that accepts a
mini-TRS jack input and output. It should use a couple of AA batteries and
put out just enough for a line level input on a portable recorder. So far I
haven't found one.

Anyone?

Norm Strong