Klay Anderson

Default Mono-to-Stereo VST Plugin?

Mr. Customer just broght a DAT to to be mastered; Mr. ****head Engineer only
recorded the left channel of the live performance. (Whatsa meter?)

So, in the old days I'd play a mono track through a Bedini BASE box and that
worked pretty well for fake stereo; but I sold mine years back. There doesn't
seem to be a lot of plugins that generate stereo from a mono track available.
Any ideas?

--
Regards,

Klay Anderson
http://www.klay.com
+801-942-8346
Scott Dorsey

Klay Anderson wrote:
Mr. Customer just broght a DAT to to be mastered; Mr. ****head Engineer only
recorded the left channel of the live performance. (Whatsa meter?)

So, in the old days I'd play a mono track through a Bedini BASE box and that
worked pretty well for fake stereo; but I sold mine years back. There doesn't
seem to be a lot of plugins that generate stereo from a mono track available.
Any ideas?

Leave it mono. There's nothing wrong with mono. Mono is just fine.

The Orban box is probably the best of the fake stereo boxes, but I always
think mono beats fake stereo most of the time. Doing something like the
Orban in the digital realm should be easy, but I don't see why you really
should.

Bob Ross

Scott Dorsey wrote:

The Orban box is probably the best of the fake stereo boxes

Respectfully disagree: IMHO the Ursa Major MSP-126 is the ne plus ultra
of fake stereo synthesis. It even included an emulation of the Orban's
reciprocal comb filter technique so you could hear how much better
their delay-based stereo synthesis was (especially as far as mono
compatibility goes). I always thought the MSP-126 was one of the most
underrated processors to come out of the 1980's; really unique box.
Apparently some vestiges of its algoritms were ported over to the
ADR-68K or whatever the AKG effects box was called.

But I definitely agree with Scott's other point: there's nothing wrong
with mono! Embrace the mono! Feel the mono love!

Scott Dorsey

Bob Ross wrote:

Respectfully disagree: IMHO the Ursa Major MSP-126 is the ne plus ultra
of fake stereo synthesis. It even included an emulation of the Orban's
reciprocal comb filter technique so you could hear how much better
their delay-based stereo synthesis was (especially as far as mono
compatibility goes). I always thought the MSP-126 was one of the most
underrated processors to come out of the 1980's; really unique box.
Apparently some vestiges of its algoritms were ported over to the
ADR-68K or whatever the AKG effects box was called.

I never used anything but the reverbs on it! How does the fake stereo
function work? Anything involving delay makes me worry about mono
compatibility issues.

But I definitely agree with Scott's other point: there's nothing wrong
with mono! Embrace the mono! Feel the mono love!

"Stereo, you gotta be sitting between the speakers, but mono sounds good
everywhere. All the time people are telling me how good it sounds. People
call me up from a block over and say 'Vinny, that sounds good!"
---scott

Evangelos Himonides

I am with Scott on this completely.
PLUS, I think that it is more of a philosophical question really...
Since what you have is mono you can only come up with a pseudo-stereo
track.
What's the point?
Treat it as something different, NOT something inferior...

Good Luck,

Evangelos

%
Evangelos Himonides
IoE, University of London
tel: +44 2076126599
fax: +44 2076126741
"Allas to those who never sing but die with all their music in them..."

Oliver Wendell Holmes
%

Joe Kesselman

Evangelos Himonides wrote:
Since what you have is mono you can only come up with a pseudo-stereo
track.

Well, I suppose you could feed it into a stereo reverb... but that's
sorta the equivalent of dropping the mono speaker in a resonant room,
and hence not very different from just playing it mono in the listener's
room.

Treat it as something different, NOT something inferior...

Makes sense to me. Black-and-white photos are a perfectly reasonable
medium...

(I _think_ it's Les Barker who does the poem about "Mono is coming! ...
but only from one speaker." If I've got that misattributed, please
correct me. It's definitely worth hearing.)
Bob Ross

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Bob Ross wrote:

Respectfully disagree: IMHO the Ursa Major MSP-126 is the ne plus ultra
of fake stereo synthesis. It even included an emulation of the Orban's
reciprocal comb filter technique so you could hear how much better
their delay-based stereo synthesis was (especially as far as mono
compatibility goes). I always thought the MSP-126 was one of the most
underrated processors to come out of the 1980's; really unique box.
Apparently some vestiges of its algoritms were ported over to the
ADR-68K or whatever the AKG effects box was called.

I never used anything but the reverbs on it! How does the fake stereo
function work? Anything involving delay makes me worry about mono
compatibility issues.

The MSP-126 was just a multitap delay with 6 taps on the left & 6 on
the right. I don't know how they actually implemented the taps to do
the stereo synthesis; I just looked through the manual and it
cryptically refers to "special, adjustable time delay patterns which
process mono into stereo with flat response of Left, Right, and
Left+Right output signals".

I remember their whole raison d'etre was that the flat response of
their delay-based fake synthesis was a dramatic (& previously unheard
of) contrast to reciprocal comb filter-based fake stereo.

Box did some really cool Haas Effect-based panning too. When was the
last time you heard mono-compatible *panning* ?!?!

Benjamin Maas

This is what I do to make a false-stereo...

I basically work with it in a style like M-S... I duplicate the file to 3
tracks. Pan them Left, Center and Right. Phase reverse the right side and
then delay the sides by half a frame or so. Raise the sides to bring in a
bit of space to the recording. Depending on the type of music, sometimes
adding a bit of reverb can also help. Nice thing is that it still maintains
its mono compatibility.

It isn't perfect, but it is a possibility.

Also, the boxes that Bob Katz has designed also have a good false-stereo
(the K-Stereo and K6 ambience recovery boxes).

--Ben

--
Benjamin Maas
Fifth Circle Audio

please remove "nospam" upon reply

"Klay Anderson" wrote in message
Mr. Customer just broght a DAT to to be mastered; Mr. ****head Engineer
only
recorded the left channel of the live performance. (Whatsa meter?)

So, in the old days I'd play a mono track through a Bedini BASE box and
that
worked pretty well for fake stereo; but I sold mine years back. There
doesn't
seem to be a lot of plugins that generate stereo from a mono track
available.
Any ideas?

--
Regards,

Klay Anderson
http://www.klay.com
+801-942-8346

WillStG

Klay Anderson wrote:
Mr. Customer just broght a DAT to to be mastered; Mr. ****head Engineer only
recorded the left channel of the live performance. (Whatsa meter?)

So, in the old days I'd play a mono track through a Bedini BASE box and that
worked pretty well for fake stereo; but I sold mine years back. There doesn't
seem to be a lot of plugins that generate stereo from a mono track available.
Any ideas?

Mono good - fake stereo is generally irritating to me for some
reason. But sometimes for effect I might use an aux send to an
eq/filter to a reverb, and add a touch of bandwidth limited stereo
ambience. You could also try auxing to a multi band limiter set as a
filter (like say a Waves C4 plugin), to a stereo pitch shifted delay,
and return the stereo delays only into a stereo reverb.

Will Miho
NY Music/Live Sound and TV/Audio Post Guy