Chris Mullins

Default where did your sytem get stolen?

just curious since i'm going to be putting a system in my car, where have
you all had problems? i mean like...was it where you live in a parking lot
or while you were shopping at wal-mart in their parking lot. where you work
in a parking garage etc etc etc. Would be nice to know where the *******s
target

i want to get a sticker made up that says something to the effect of
"go ahead and try to steal me, i have a 2 way paging alarm and the owner
carries a .45"

Spike

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 21:41:38 -0400, "Chris Mullins"
wrote:

just curious since i'm going to be putting a system in my car, where have
you all had problems? i mean like...was it where you live in a parking lot
or while you were shopping at wal-mart in their parking lot. where you work
in a parking garage etc etc etc. Would be nice to know where the *******s
target

Any place a vehicle might be left unattended, especially at night, in
the darker areas. In front of the Museum of Natural History in NYC,
when there were 4 people sitting on a park bench nearby, and 3 still
there when the thief was discovered, and they didn't see a thing... in
broad daylight. When the Bronco was left outside at the garage. When
having dinner at Denny's. While at the movie theatre where they had
employees checking the parking lot... turned out to be a couple of
those same employees. I think you get the idea. There is no place that
is totally secure, so make sure your insurance covered what you have,
under all but the most bizarre circumstances.

i want to get a sticker made up that says something to the effect of
"go ahead and try to steal me, i have a 2 way paging alarm and the owner
carries a .45"

Gee. I love a good challenge. Go ahead put a sticker like that on your
car. Better you should put a sticker that says the code will be
cleared and the HU useless if it is improperly removed. Or that all
property within the car is inscribed with ID numbers for tracing
purposes. NEVER make an idle threat which a thief knows you would or
can't possible follow through on. NEVER challenge a thief to take your
property. NEVER advertise that you have something worth taking.

Kinda like we were taught in martial arts.... you NEVER let your
opponent know what you know or are capable of until you use it.
Otherwise, your opponent will get an equalizer, like a sawed off
shotgun and wait until your back is turned.

Spike
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce
Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins

"When the time comes to lay down my life for my country,
I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it."
-JFK Inaugural Speech
Chris Mullins

yea see where i'm from we're much more ... ok i'm from the country. So the
odds of anyone ever seeing my system get stolen are slim to none.

i know that one person has tried to steal the car before, i think it was
before i bought it though (small scratches bla bla bla i ddn't notice, no
big deal). before i install my system i will be upgrading the alarm.

other than that i guess i have to rely on a lot of luck. i've even
considered installing a hidden camera (useless if the whole car gets jacked)
or a locator but i'm guessing that would be quite pricey(camera not too much
though)

wrote:

[...]

ArKane

I have a question about the security aspect of this. When replacing
the HU (which I plan to do soon), does it really do any good to have a
car alarm installed, or are those things basically useless? In the
parking lot of the apartment where I live, I hear car alarms going off
all the time (usually every time somebody farts) - I don't even pay
attention to them.
Chris Mullins

this is why i'll definately be buying a nicer one with 2-way paging. as i
understand it alerts your key ring thingy when the alarm goes off, so you
can check on it, most people do just ignore the alarms though, too much
crying wolf.

"ArKane" wrote in message
I have a question about the security aspect of this. When replacing
the HU (which I plan to do soon), does it really do any good to have a
car alarm installed, or are those things basically useless? In the
parking lot of the apartment where I live, I hear car alarms going off
all the time (usually every time somebody farts) - I don't even pay
attention to them.

ArKane

this is why i'll definately be buying a nicer one with 2-way paging. as i
understand it alerts your key ring thingy when the alarm goes off, so you
can check on it

Yeah, I can see it now ... my keyring goes off so I go outside to
check on my car, and there's this big-ass 6'4 Schwarzenegger-lookin'
mother****er walking away from my car with the head unit. I'd be like
"Ummmm, you can have it."

Spike

You really have to get to know your neighbors and not have a system
set so sensitive it bothers the neighbors more than the thieves. Two
way paging is great. so is lojack (but pricey). When they are looking
out for your things, and you are looking out for theirs, that a lot of
eyes watching your stuff. Don't be the neighborhood pain in the rear
racing up and down the streets, crating a lot of noise. Then your
neighbors will dislike you and not care if your stuff is taken. Heck,
they may even cheer the thieves on or help....

The more you do to deter a thief, the better. Thieves don't want to
get caught... especially in the act. So, if the car looks like too
much trouble, they are more apt to move on and find easy pickings.
But, if your car is one of those 10 most stolens.... oh, well.

something as going to Radio Shack and buying a 9 volt battery, battery
cap, and a flashing red LED. The battery will last quite a while
(think smoke detector long). The flashing LED looks like an alarm is
installed (only leave enough LED showing - not the battery and wires).
It a psyche, but it often works.

If you have the bucks, the HU that wipes the code so the stereo is
useless if stolen. They may take it anyway, but it's no good to them.
Detachable faceplates are good if you remember to take it with you. If
you are installing the unit, engrave an identification number on it.
Then, a sticker indicating that property contained in the vehicle
bears ID numbers for recovery posted where a thief entering the
vehicle will see it first helps support this.

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 02:56:06 GMT, ArKane
wrote:

I have a question about the security aspect of this. When replacing
the HU (which I plan to do soon), does it really do any good to have a
car alarm installed, or are those things basically useless? In the
parking lot of the apartment where I live, I hear car alarms going off
all the time (usually every time somebody farts) - I don't even pay
attention to them.

Spike
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce
Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins

"When the time comes to lay down my life for my country,
I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it."
-JFK Inaugural Speech
Mister.Lull

See, I simply feel that the less there is to SEE, then the less anyone
would want to break in to your vehicle... Why put a sticker that says
everything inside has ID numbers, and draw attention to the fact that
you might have nice stuff, when you can simply have a stealthy install
and make it so that it looks like you DON'T have anything worth taking.
(In the meantime, have those ID numbers for your own piece of mind)
Both times my car's been broken into (yes, only two times) it was, I
feel, because I had an install you could see; and stupid things like a
book of CD's sitting on the dash, and a hatchback that made it so that
the sub could be seen from twenty feet away...

~Mister.Lull

Spike

Valid points. Like the one about leaving packages, CD holders, etc in
plain sight.

My own observations come from 20+ years of law enforcement training
and experience. It's not a perfect science because there are so many
variables (geography, rural or urban; time of day; concentration of
drug users/alcoholics hanging out in the area; seasonal, depending on
location, etc). It's a psychological deterrent, but psychology does
work a lot of the time. Something like the sound of a round being
chambered into a shotgun on a dark still night, or an extremely
viscous dog (and the drool helps keep the leather interior supple : ).
Nothing is guaranteed to work in every instance.

Unfortunately, you can't take your garage with you.

On 29 Jun 2005 22:03:51 -0700, "Mister.Lull"
wrote:

[...]

I love Edsels

wrote:

[...]

I'll just jump in here with a comment about Corvallis, Oregon.
People still leave valuable items in the car overnight and wonder why
they are gone in the morning.
The local paper has a weekly column of police calls and it's always
good for a laugh.

Spike

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 14:55:28 GMT, I love Edsels
wrote:

Spike
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce
Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins

"When the time comes to lay down my life for my country,
I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it."
-JFK Inaugural Speech

I'll just jump in here with a comment about Corvallis, Oregon.
People still leave valuable items in the car overnight and wonder why
they are gone in the morning.
The local paper has a weekly column of police calls and it's always
good for a laugh.

That's in part because, nearly all of Oregon, like northern California
where I live, is essentially rural, and there is a different mind set
in rural areas. I've lived in placed where none ever locks their doors
even if they go away for a couple of weeks. Conversely, more urban
areas result in bars on the windows and multiple locks on metal
re-enforced doors. Can't speak for Corvalis, but here, a super influx
of city folk, addition of a couple of colleges, and such, has seen
crime of all types shoot through the roof. Twenty years ago, nobody
spent much time worrying about being ripped off. Today, the concern is
getting mugged, car jacked, etc. Of course, my in-laws in Newport and
Eugene, and relatives in the Medford region would say it's because in
order to lock up criminals from recent trials, they have to turn many
loose early.

Spike
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce
Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins

"When the time comes to lay down my life for my country,
I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it."
-JFK Inaugural Speech
Tony F

I hate to reply off-topic, but I had to say I was glad to hear that I Love
Edsels is from Corvallis. I drive through there a few times a year to visit
my father in Waldport. I'm here near Walla Walla. It was also cool to hear
from Spike, also with ties to the Pacific Northwest AND a fellow police
officer like myself. And a good friend of mine, one of my dispatchers, is
from Corvallis.

Sorry...just thought it was a small world and had to share.

And oh yeah. My stereo has NEVER been stolen. *knocks on wood*

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Eclipse CD8454 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and ZX500 Amplifiers,

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub

Chris Mullins

well i assume he'll be getting into a car...which should have tags, that'd
be enough for the cops, and hell you might have a camera phone too. given
the situation i would yell and let it proceed as he wanted it to after
calling the cops, but i'm ballsy and will probably die that way too :-P

"ArKane" wrote in message

this is why i'll definately be buying a nicer one with 2-way paging. as i
understand it alerts your key ring thingy when the alarm goes off, so you
can check on it

Yeah, I can see it now ... my keyring goes off so I go outside to
check on my car, and there's this big-ass 6'4 Schwarzenegger-lookin'
mother****er walking away from my car with the head unit. I'd be like
"Ummmm, you can have it."

Spike

OUCHE!!! : ) Pick a different piece of wood next time hahahahahaha
LOL

I love the NW.... especially the coast.

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:08:00 -0700, "Tony F"
wrote:

[...]

Dark1

I don't know about the yelling even.. I wound up with a broken cd player for
giving chase once =P
was fun watching them bob up and down in the water trying to avoid
spotlights though.. chased them right into a canal
then got to **** with em in the back of a cruiser.. it was almost worth the
cd player..

"ArKane" wrote in message

this is why i'll definately be buying a nicer one with 2-way paging. as
understand it alerts your key ring thingy when the alarm goes off, so you
can check on it

Yeah, I can see it now ... my keyring goes off so I go outside to
check on my car, and there's this big-ass 6'4 Schwarzenegger-lookin'
mother****er walking away from my car with the head unit. I'd be like
"Ummmm, you can have it."

Mister.Lull

See, I live on the north side of Downtown Seattle... Happily, we don't
have to worry about car-jackings while we're driving, but break-ins are
common. Just leaving things in sight is an invitation all it's own for
someone to break in. My girlfriend had a book of CD's sitting in the
middle of the back seat of her 96 Ford Taurus, which of coarse someone
saw. They unscrewed her antenna, bent the top 2 or 3 inches of it,
broke the rear-side-trianglular window, and used the bent antenna to
pull the CD's within reach, grabbed them, dropped the antenna, and
walked away; all within 10 feet of the neigbor's bedroom window (within
20 feet of our own bedroom window).
Other times I get the feeling that it isn't even your system, or what
you leave in view... The street we live on recently had 4 or 5
different Honda Civics broken into. From the looks of it, I'd guess
that some bored teenagers are trying to learn (hands-on) how to hotwire
a car; three of the owners I've talked to say that their steering
columns were ripped apart, but nobody reported that their stereo had
been touched. Kind of sucks, since I was thinking about getting a new
Civic... I'm thinking Jetta now... }:-)
~Mister.Lull

Spike

On 1 Jul 2005 09:57:29 -0700, "Mister.Lull"
wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a case of some drunk and stupid idiot who made the attempt
to steal more on a "I'll show you I can do it just like in the movies"
run. Very few would break into several. Usually, if the first doesn't
go, they change areas just in case someone noticed and called.

Sad that neighbors didn't notice and or do something.

I left my truck sitting on a dock in Japan with all my camera gear on
the seat and the windows open. An emergency call pulled me away to
catch a ferry to another location. I worried that the gear would be
gone (not the truck because the only way on/off the island was by
ferry. When I returned 3 days later, everything was as I had left it,
except, someone had rolled up the windows when it started to rain.

Spike
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce
Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins

"When the time comes to lay down my life for my country,
I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it."
-JFK Inaugural Speech
Les

"bob" wrote in message
Dont boom in your own neighborhood or anywhere else that you are going to
park your car unwatched for any period of time.

Decent reply.

And by the way JFK was a bitch...

Nothing but a troll. Please ignore him.

Les

bob

Dont boom in your own neighborhood or anywhere else that you are going to
park your car unwatched for any period of time.
And by the way JFK was a bitch...

Mister.Lull

What kind of crap post is that?!?
~Mister.Lull

Spike

The boom part makes sense. It happens to be what I taught my stepson
when he got his truck.

As for the JFK comment, everyone is entitled to an opinion.

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 10:32:06 -0600, "bob" wrote:

Dont boom in your own neighborhood or anywhere else that you are going to
park your car unwatched for any period of time.
And by the way JFK was a bitch...

Spike
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40
16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial
225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

"When the time comes to lay down my life for my country,
I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it."
-JFK Inaugural Speech

Mister.Lull

Sorry, I was talking about the post by bob. The booming around where
you live or park seems like common sense, and the JFK comment (while I
agree that everyone is entitled to their own opinion) seems out of left
field and troll-ish.
Just so I'm not caught doing that again, how do I quote someone's post?
~Mister.Lull

Spike

No problem at all.

I use Forte Agent Newsreader, others might work slightly different.

For me it's
Open the post you wish to reply to and reply to it (which may be
a matter of selecting a REPLY or RE button at the top of the program,
or right click and select from a menu for some newsreader's).

If you want to post a general comment to the thread, open the first
post in the thread (generally the one which started the thread), and
reply in the same way as responding to an individual. (Naturally, any
post is readable by anyone else).

As for the JFK remark, I know it was in response to a quote of JFK's
Inaugural Address which is quoted in my signature line:

"When the time comes to lay down my life for my country,
I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it."
-JFK Inaugural Speech

Apparently, Bob doesn't like JFK, which is OK with me. All are, in my
book, entitled to their opinions. Some of his politics even I didn't
care for, but what he did to instill motivation to do for the nation
and others before oneself in the youth of America during that era was
pretty darn good. Facing down Khrushchev over Cuban missile sites, and
most of all the space race which has provided so much to people in
general (i.e. microwave ovens, freeze dried foods, and so much more)
were positives in my book. And, while it was actually RFK's ball to
run with, the advancement of equal rights was a major step forward.
But. those are my opinions.

On 3 Jul 2005 15:15:52 -0700, "Mister.Lull"
wrote:

Sorry, I was talking about the post by bob. The booming around where
you live or park seems like common sense, and the JFK comment (while I
agree that everyone is entitled to their own opinion) seems out of left
field and troll-ish.
Just so I'm not caught doing that again, how do I quote someone's post?
~Mister.Lull

Spike
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40
16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial
225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

"When the time comes to lay down my life for my country,
I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it."
-JFK Inaugural Address

Luc Delorme

I've had many cars, many systems, and none were ever broken into or
stolen. I have to admit that aside from Toronto and Vancouver, thefts
and break-ins are nowhere as big a problem here in Canada as they are
in the US.

And in every town, there are some places that are much worse than
others when it comes to break-ins, theft and crime in general. I would
never live there, and I avoid going there in general.

If you can help it at all, try to park near cars that are a bigger
attraction to thieves than yours. In my building's parking garage,
there are a few Corvettes, at least one Jaguar, many Lincolns and
Caddys (lots or retired folk!) and a bunch of Acuras. My little Sentra
is rather unappealing to most thieves, considering that most of the
retired folk that drive the big boats have never heard of an alarm.

Finally, my car is Yellow. Think of this what you will, but the car
attracts attention to itself just by the color. It's the first car
people spot in a lot or on a street. If you're a thief, you don't want
to look suspicious next to the first car most people will spot. I've
never seen a list of thefts and break-ins broken down by car colour,
but I'd bet that black and dark blue cars are victims most often.
Either way, if thieves ever do take off with my car, the cops will have
a much easier time looking out for a Yellow Sentra (of which there are
under 10 in the entire area) than a Black Civic (which are absolutely
everywhere)

Luc

Spike

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 18:20:03 -0400, Luc Delorme wrote:

I've had many cars, many systems, and none were ever broken into or
stolen. I have to admit that aside from Toronto and Vancouver, thefts
and break-ins are nowhere as big a problem here in Canada as they are
in the US.

Now don't take this as a put down, but could this be because the US is
a bit bigger (not counting the northern territories, of course),
there are a lot more people in the US, and the population is far more
diverse? Not just ethnic, but economical diversity, in a country where
what you are seen in may be worth more (sadly) than your integrity?
And some immigrant populations come from regions where crime is so
commonplace that it is looked at more as the norm than the rarity it
should be.

And in every town, there are some places that are much worse than
others when it comes to break-ins, theft and crime in general. I would
never live there, and I avoid going there in general.

I've experienced that in every country I have lived in or visited.

If you can help it at all, try to park near cars that are a bigger
attraction to thieves than yours. In my building's parking garage,
there are a few Corvettes, at least one Jaguar, many Lincolns and
Caddys (lots or retired folk!) and a bunch of Acuras. My little Sentra
is rather unappealing to most thieves, considering that most of the
retired folk that drive the big boats have never heard of an alarm.

Good point, though you are apt to find joy riders who are more likely
to take what they think they can get easily, and they would expect
higher end cars to be alarmed. Pro thieves will go for the gold.

Finally, my car is Yellow. Think of this what you will, but the car
attracts attention to itself just by the color. It's the first car
people spot in a lot or on a street. If you're a thief, you don't want
to look suspicious next to the first car most people will spot. I've
never seen a list of thefts and break-ins broken down by car colour,
but I'd bet that black and dark blue cars are victims most often.
Either way, if thieves ever do take off with my car, the cops will have
a much easier time looking out for a Yellow Sentra (of which there are
under 10 in the entire area) than a Black Civic (which are absolutely
everywhere)

My first Mustang was it's original yellow, and I never bothered to
change the color. In snow country (Pacific NW) it was easier to see,
easier to find in a parking lot, etc. Back then I never gave a thought
to theft. Actually, theft rate was low. If a car disappeared it was
more likely that it was repossessed by the finance company. Another
good color is that really pukey green emergency vehicle color because
nobody would want to be seen it.... : ) LOL

Luc

MZ

Good point, though you are apt to find joy riders who are more likely
to take what they think they can get easily, and they would expect
higher end cars to be alarmed. Pro thieves will go for the gold.

That's exactly right. And I'm sure you know as well as I do (actually,
moreso), that most thieves are not pros. Most thieves are friggin' morons.
A great many stereo/car thieves are stupid teenagers (redundant, I know).
They're not always going to make the most logical choices when deciding what
to steal.

Case in point...my apt complex had a few vehicles broken into one night a
couple years ago. They stole the Jensen CD player out of the car parked
next to mine, and left my car (with a 7" touchscreen) alone. Why? Maybe
they were afraid of the alarm? No, that couldn't be it, because they also
broke into a Cherokee with an alarm.

Anyway, when you're trying to make your car theft-proof, there are several
ways of going about it:

1) Don't have the volume cranked up when you come home every night. Don't
"show off" the system to your friends when at home. Go for a ride or
something.
2) Don't work on your car audio system where you park! Do all work and
installation in a garage. If you can't, do it over a buddy's house.
3) Don't buy a Civic, a Mustang, etc or any other car that usually has
goodies in it. If you insist on buying a car like this, which sometimes
can't be helped (hey, if you like the car, you like the car), then see #4.
4) Don't make your car LOOK like it has goodies in it. Tinting is among the
worst things you can do, unless it's factory or you can make it look
factory. Get rid of the neons. Also, f-ing around with those stupid
looking rims, dropping/raising your car, or doing anything else that doesn't
make it look stock is just asking for your stuff to be stolen.
5) Go for the stealth installation. No, it's not impressive to have your
amps and subs glaring at you when you open the trunk. Stick the subs in the
corner, put some grille cloth over them, mount the amps in the corner of the
trunk or under the rear deck, or hide them behind a false wall/floor, etc.
That way, when you open the trunk to put a bag or something in it, you won't
be showing everyone what you've got.

Chris Mullins

A few days ago i locked my keys in my car at work, very popular place
(hundreds of cars) and on my 15min break i went out and broke into it. When
i got back inside 2 people had already came in and told them to call the
cops on me. Made me feel good that they caught me that quickly, of course
the managers told them not to worry about it as i told them what i was doing
before i left. While breaking into the car i was worried because nobody
even gave me a strange look.

"MZ" wrote in message
[...]

Spike

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 19:06:39 -0400, "MZ"
wrote:

Good point, though you are apt to find joy riders who are more likely
to take what they think they can get easily, and they would expect
higher end cars to be alarmed. Pro thieves will go for the gold.

That's exactly right. And I'm sure you know as well as I do (actually,
moreso), that most thieves are not pros. Most thieves are friggin' morons.
A great many stereo/car thieves are stupid teenagers (redundant, I know).
They're not always going to make the most logical choices when deciding what
to steal.

Very few who take cars or steal stereos are pros. The majority are
either joy riders or vandals. Half the time the stereo gear isn't even
used. It's dumped, or sold to some other kid for $20. Most wouldn't
know where to take a stolen vehicle, or part anything out.

Teens don't have the gene for logical thought installed yet. : ) I
KNOW... 'cause I was one once.... way back in the dark ages they call
the 50s and 60s. Beatles? Who are they? Fats who? Oh, you mean Fat
Albert and the Cosby Kids?

Case in point...my apt complex had a few vehicles broken into one night a
couple years ago. They stole the Jensen CD player out of the car parked
next to mine, and left my car (with a 7" touchscreen) alone. Why? Maybe
they were afraid of the alarm? No, that couldn't be it, because they also
broke into a Cherokee with an alarm.

No rhyme or reason.... could be because they thought the touch screen
would wipe the codes and be useless, they may not have even looked,
etc.... it's a who knows situation. As my stepson said when I lost my
wife, bad things do happen to good people. Hmmmm.... maybe that didn't
come out exactly right 'cause then you'd be one of the bad ones but
still have your stereo.... LOL

Anyway, when you're trying to make your car theft-proof, there are several
ways of going about it:

1) Don't have the volume cranked up when you come home every night. Don't
"show off" the system to your friends when at home. Go for a ride or
something.

How to PO Neighbors and Have Them NOT See a Thing as Your Ride Goes
Bye Bye
2) Don't work on your car audio system where you park! Do all work and
installation in a garage. If you can't, do it over a buddy's house.

Same thing applies. This is a case where it DOESN'T pay to
advertise.... unless you really are trying to get rid of what you
have.
3) Don't buy a Civic, a Mustang, etc or any other car that usually has
goodies in it. If you insist on buying a car like this, which sometimes
can't be helped (hey, if you like the car, you like the car), then see #4.

Anymore, this one is pretty hard to follow for any make and model.
What was once optional equipment, today is essentially standard. Back
when you had to order an ashtray, then they became standard, and
now... optional again in some vehicles.

I had a 91 TransAM GTA which came fully equipped. Only two options...
upgrade to a CD player, and car color. Nobody ever tried to take it no
matter where it was parked.
4) Don't make your car LOOK like it has goodies in it. Tinting is among the
worst things you can do, unless it's factory or you can make it look
factory. Get rid of the neons. Also, f-ing around with those stupid
looking rims, dropping/raising your car, or doing anything else that doesn't
make it look stock is just asking for your stuff to be stolen.

Hmmmm Neons sounds like ricer land... around here most would just as
soon see them taken and trashed.... the bumblebee in a beer can with
the thumping bass invited "redneck" revenge. LOL The tinting part
around here with temps well into the 100s, is fairly common. I'd say
it also helps prevent people from seeing inside but the law says you
can't tint the front door windows or windshield.
5) Go for the stealth installation. No, it's not impressive to have your
amps and subs glaring at you when you open the trunk. Stick the subs in the
corner, put some grille cloth over them, mount the amps in the corner of the
trunk or under the rear deck, or hide them behind a false wall/floor, etc.
That way, when you open the trunk to put a bag or something in it, you won't
be showing everyone what you've got.

Stealth is excellent. Now if the local kids could try "sound" stealth
as well..... I detest having the water in my spa and the champagne in
my glass ripple whenever they drive by... it's bad for the bubbles and
makes the champagne go flat.... Even the tools in the trunk are in
stealth mode.

I like the vanilla concept. a plain Jane, a failure.... which nobody
bothered... until the owner's mommy got them a 12,000 watt
Tonette.... Ya have to be my age to recall those ads... : ) That's why
I wanted my Mustang to look as stock as possible to the casual
observer. Let 'em steal the one with the honkin' stereo and blower
sticking up through the hood.....
Spike
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40
16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial
225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

"When the time comes to lay down my life for my country,
I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it."
-JFK Inaugural Address

Tony F

MZ wrote: "Don't "show off" the system to your friends when at home."

Heck...don't show off your system AT ALL. Random thefts are one thing, but
a surprising number of them aren't random at all. The person that stole
your **** KNEW it was in there to begin with because they either saw it
first hand or heard someone talk about it.

"Don't make your car LOOK like it has goodies in it."

You forgot to mention stickers, Mark! All those "Rockford Fosgate" and
"Alpine" decals...get rid of 'em!!!

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Eclipse CD8454 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and ZX500 Amplifiers,
Phoenix Gold EQ-232 30-Band EQ, Dynaudio System 360 Tri-Amped In Front and
Focal 130HCs For Rear Fill, 2 Soundstream EXACT10s In Aperiodic Enclosure

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub

air_odie

I used to do my daily driveing in an 81 can am with a sc502 which was
navajo orange. HOT car HOT motor bad mofo driving style... not stlolen
hot but sweet hot. I had a clarion auto pc and two thunderdomes in it
which at the time I thought were gods gift to audio HAHAHA!!!, right??
well my dumb azz back then would jam everywhere and anywhere often time
forget to put t tops on and got lucky everytime except for july 10th
1999. That night some doped up *** hooped into my car and took about 1
hour and a screw driver to finish off my dash and remove the brick
known as the auto pc... he then hammered away at my trunk till it
opened thats when he got his suprise and demise.. my older brother had
just gotton back from a party it was like 3 am and he decided to bury a
crow bar right threw the guys head and no **** he laid there bleeding
to death with my brick at his feet and sub wires at hand... after about
5 hours and a court date for my brother 'justified homicide' I learned
my lesson.

my systems rules

hide it
deny it
and pound it where u dont park it

also get a damn good two way alarm sys and know how to use it to your
advantage and install it where nobody can get to it

my current veh is an 00 dak r/t my viper 791 which ads auto start and
remote windows is installed in such a way that body panels need to be
removed even to find the run wires. it uses a nice hood switch which is
in the hood and not attached to it as well as a backup battery and I
have sevral other tricks attached to it as well... only notice of an
alarm on the truck the blue led light which is always on regardless of
alarm setting just to bring a lil more attention to the fact that you
might wanna skip this truck and move on to the stupid ford ranger with
the alpine stickers and no alarm next to me...

lastly if u got one use a garage best security is an old adage 'outta
sight, outta mind.

and if anyone says the vipers are crap I know the 791's not saved me 3
times now, once someone backed into my car at a parking lot befor they
could even leave I was there and calling the police with there plate
the other two time well college parking lots get all the DIRT attracted
to them from peers to perps....

--
air_odie
air_odie's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=33095

bob wald

jfk...lol
he was a made up pretty boy by hollywood.
he is the goverment since hes employed by it.
so laying down your life for the goverment is really doing it for
him.thats what hes saying.duh

Spike

Now that's the kind of reaction everyone wishes they'd get....
UNTIL.... the cops show up and give ya a hard time until you can prove
it's your car.... (that's generalization, of course). But you should
track down the people who said call the cops, and buy 'em a brew... or
jelly donut or something for being "good neighbors".

"MZ" wrote in message
[...]

Spike

We got reports of people watching custom shops and getting license
plate numbers and descriptions, and even following people to see where
they live. And mall parking lots are very bad.

I HATE any kind of stickers on my car which do not absolutely have to
be there. Even going to a tourist trap.... errrrr... sight seeing
place : ).... I get ticked if I return to my car and find one of their
stickers plastered on the bumper. Fortunately, a lot of places have
passed laws prohibiting this. They can put it under a wiper blade, or
attach it to your bumper with rubber bands, but they get in big
trouble for adhesive.

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 18:33:02 -0700, "Tony F"
wrote:

MZ wrote: "Don't "show off" the system to your friends when at home."

Heck...don't show off your system AT ALL. Random thefts are one thing, but
a surprising number of them aren't random at all. The person that stole
your **** KNEW it was in there to begin with because they either saw it
first hand or heard someone talk about it.

"Don't make your car LOOK like it has goodies in it."

You forgot to mention stickers, Mark! All those "Rockford Fosgate" and
"Alpine" decals...get rid of 'em!!!

Tony

Spike
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40
16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial
225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

"When the time comes to lay down my life for my country,
I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it."
-JFK Inaugural Address
MZ

We got reports of people watching custom shops and getting license
plate numbers and descriptions, and even following people to see where
they live. And mall parking lots are very bad.

In high school, I worked with a guy who knew someone at the DMV, so whenever
someone would come into the parking lot "booming", he'd write down their
license plate "for later".

I HATE any kind of stickers on my car which do not absolutely have to
be there. Even going to a tourist trap.... errrrr... sight seeing
place : ).... I get ticked if I return to my car and find one of their
stickers plastered on the bumper. Fortunately, a lot of places have
passed laws prohibiting this. They can put it under a wiper blade, or
attach it to your bumper with rubber bands, but they get in big
trouble for adhesive.

People put stickers on other people's bumpers?

Scott Gardner

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 00:27:43 -0400, "MZ"
wrote:

People put stickers on other people's bumpers?

Never happened to me, but according to my parents, it was very common
in the 40's and 50's. They'd go out for the evening, and come back to
find a bumper sticker on their car (usually for a political
candidate).

I don't know how strong the adhesives were for bumper stickers in
those days, and since everyone had chrome bumpers, it probably wasn't
much of a hassle to take them off. But still, that would be the
quickest way possible to lose my vote.

--
Scott Gardner

"The only time you can have too much fuel is when you're on fire."

Spike

wrote:

People put stickers on other people's bumpers?

Oh, yeah.... amusement parks, political parties, churches(especially
pro God and anti-abortion), causes (like feminists), etc. While many
places quit doing it because they started losing liability suits and
having to pay for repainting people's cars, there are still idiots
that don't hesitate to slap one on there. Unfortunately, those are the
ones who rarely get caught.
Spike
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40
16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial
225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

"When the time comes to lay down my life for my country,
I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it."
-JFK Inaugural Address
Spike

Even chrome bumpers were a pain for removal of stickers. Dry ice
usually worked best. Freeze the adhesive and it crumbles. Then use
Coke to clean the bumper of any residue. Your folks are right, but it
continued into the 60s and 70s with the peace movement (San Francisco
area was not the place to park). From the early 70s onward the problem
really dwindled. But, a couple of years ago, my Firebird got plastered
with anti-male stickers.