Posted to rec.audio.pro
Abdul Tom

Default Beyer DT250-250 vs 250-80

Hi there

I'm aware of the basic difference in headphone impedance in how it
relates to perceived loudness, but other than that is there anything
else to consider?

I ask because I went in to audition a load of closed cans, including
DT250/250s and in terms of price vs sound vs comfort they came out
well.

When I got to the counter although the phones on test were DT250/250
they only had 250/80 in stock. A few people on this forum have said
that the 250/250s have a flatter response. Do i need to worry about
this or should I just relax and enjoy the DT250/80s?

Thanks,

Abdul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Abdul Tom wrote:

I'm aware of the basic difference in headphone impedance in how it
relates to perceived loudness, but other than that is there anything
else to consider?

Well, the output Z of the amplifier you're driving it with.

I ask because I went in to audition a load of closed cans, including
DT250/250s and in terms of price vs sound vs comfort they came out
well.

When I got to the counter although the phones on test were DT250/250
they only had 250/80 in stock. A few people on this forum have said
that the 250/250s have a flatter response. Do i need to worry about
this or should I just relax and enjoy the DT250/80s?

Flatter response driven by what? And how many sets of cans are you
going to be driving off the amp?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Abdul Tom

one pair of cans driven from a small mixer; that's it. Maybe it doesn't
matter, I just wondered if there was any reason why the 250 ohm version
should be preferable. "Flatter response" is a quote from a couple of
posters on this forum.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Abdul Tom wrote:
one pair of cans driven from a small mixer; that's it. Maybe it doesn't
matter, I just wondered if there was any reason why the 250 ohm version
should be preferable. "Flatter response" is a quote from a couple of
posters on this forum.

If you're using a crappy headphone amp that runs off of low-voltage rails
and was added as an afterthought by a console manufacturer, it might very
well be happier if it doesn't have to drive a lot of current. And it might
have crossover distortion issues that are reduced when you turn the level
control up. Of course, it won't be as loud before the amp clips.

Most of the impedance-related issues are due to issues with the drive
electronics rather than the phones themselves.