Johan Wagener

Default frequency response for a subwoofer

what is frequency response of a good sub suppose to be? I need one to go
with my mids & tweeters. (My amp has a built in crossover with high pass and
low pass filers) I noticed that some go from 20Hz to 2KHz while others go
from 20Hz to 400Hz. I know about the low cutoff but what about the high
cutoff?

also, frequency response vs output power. will a higher frequency response
mean that the amp can be rated at a higher power?

Paul Vina

ANY sub will play to whatever practical crossover point you pick. I've
never seen (okay, there was one car) any cars with a crossover over 120Hz.
It won't matter if it plays up to 400 or 4000Hz, you won't run it that high.

The freq. response has NOTHING to do with the power handling.

Paul Vina

"Johan Wagener" wrote in message
what is frequency response of a good sub suppose to be? I need one to go
with my mids & tweeters. (My amp has a built in crossover with high pass

and
low pass filers) I noticed that some go from 20Hz to 2KHz while others go
from 20Hz to 400Hz. I know about the low cutoff but what about the high
cutoff?

also, frequency response vs output power. will a higher frequency response
mean that the amp can be rated at a higher power?

Johan Wagener

So if you run a sub with f response of 20Hz - 400Hz from a crossover with
cutoff at 400Hz it will produce the same amount of power than a sub with f
response of 20Hz - 2KHz running off the same crossover (if the 2 subs can
deliver the same amount of power)

So the sub with lower frequency response is no better than the one with
higher response? considering you already have a crossover.

Paul Vina

So if you run a sub with f response of 20Hz - 400Hz from a crossover with
cutoff at 400Hz

Why would you want to run a sub that high in a car? It would sound like
ass.

it will produce the same amount of power than a sub with f
response of 20Hz - 2KHz running off the same crossover (if the 2 subs can
deliver the same amount of power)

Why do you think the frequency response has ANYTHING to do with the power
handling? Also, speakers receive power, they don't produce it.

So the sub with lower frequency response is no better than the one with
higher response? considering you already have a crossover.

Yes. A sub that can play up to 4000Hz does not necessarily have good low
end response which is what you need from a sub.

Paul Vina