Joey

Default Questions about wiring and impedance

Hey everyone.

Okay before I ask my question, here's what I currently have:

One 12" 4-ohm Kicker Comp sub
Two 12" 8-ohm RF Punch Subs (really old, like 10 years old)
A sub box for two 12" subs. Sealed, not ported. Specific fit for my
'94 Firebird.
One 4-channel Lightning Audio amp (60x2 front and 150x2 rear, or 500x1
rear if bridged)

I'd like to use two Kicker subs instead of my RF ones (i'd have to buy
another kicker).

My question is this:

I know I could wire the two RF subs to give the amp an 4 ohm mono load
for the rear channels, but like I said, I want to use Kicker subs.

If I buy another Kicker, but an 8-ohm one, and I wired it parallel
with my 4 ohm one bridged, what would the load be on the amp? Would
the impedance be 3 ohm mono? I don't want to get another 4 ohm sub
because I know that'd be 2 ohm mono and that might fry the amp (or
would it?). Any other wiring options available?

I assume the Kicker subs would be a better choice for a sealed box,
than the RF ones?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Anyone out there have another 12" Kicker Comp C12 sub for sale?

Joey,

On paper you idea may be sound. However, I don't believe it would be
wise to wire 2 subs with ulike impedances together. I have read many
times that results (performance and sound) would not be good. Do
yourself a favor and sell all your subs and buy 1 beefy 12-incher that
can handle the 500W (rms?) in 4 ohm.

BlaqAltima - http://www.sounddomain.com/id/blaqaltima