Stewart Pinkerton

On 26 Sep 2004 14:52:56 GMT, (Lasse) wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote in message ...

Since you quote me in that post, I should point out that I am a
contributor to the $5,000 'cable challenge' pool which has indeed been
extended to amplifiers (and has stood unchallenged for more than five
years now), and I have a standing offer of £1,000 (I'm not as rich as
Randi!) to anyone in the UK who can 'hear' cables or amplifiers under
level-matched blind conditions.

I hadn't heard of that extension of cable challenge, interesting. Maybe
a short summary would be in order. Known audio challenges:

$1.000.000 Shakti Stones, Tice Clock, etc. (James Randi)
$10.000 Amplifiers (Richard Clark)
$5.000 Cables and amplifiers (RAHE pool)
~$1,800 Cables (Stewart Pinkerton)

Also, if Randi offers money for hearing the effect of Shakti Stones,
then we can assume that other sceptic organisations might do the same:

~$57.000 Australian sceptics challenge for extraordinary powers
~$14.000 Australian sceptics spotter fee: You only have to _find_ a
person who has extraordinary powers, ie. can hear Shakti Stones!
~$10.000 Finnish Skepsis challenge

I might have missed other challenges but even these challenges could
pay off ~$1.100.000 for that person who hears Shakti Stones, amps and
cables. I must say that situation is now extremely interesting since
Randi is involved with his million.

OK, I'll bite. I hereby formally offer £10,000 to anyone who can
differentiate two cables under the usual level-matched DBT conditions.
Furthermore, I'll make it £100,000 as a bet.

Howard Ferstler

Date: 9/21/2004 8:01 PM Pacific Standard Time
"If you can talk Randi into expanding the challenge to amplification let
me
know. I doubt he would do it."

I wouldn't be so sure of that, if he isn't, there is another who has 10
thousand dollars motivation for the same goal for amps. I'm told many have
tried and he still has it.

I doubt very much that the bet is that straight forward. If some one wants to
test my assertion that my Audio Research SP 10 and D-115 sound different than
my old Yamaha reciever with Martin Logan CLs speakers and pay a million dollars
or even ten thousand if I hear a difference under blind conditions I'll happily
invite them over and find that old reciever.

I find it rewarding to discover just what was probably
involved when you did your amplifier comparisons. Now I
realize why you think you can hear differences with amps.

Prior to the above-noted comparison being done, it would be
a good idea to bench check those Audio Research units to
make sure that (because of their probably high output
impedances) they are not delivering a non-flat signal to
your speakers, or to any other speakers they might be called
upon to power as well.

Actually, with electrostatic systems, it is possible that
both the Yamaha and Audio Research amps are not performing
to audibly smooth perfection. The Yamaha might have problems
with the reactive load and be distorting because of that,
and the Audio Research jobs might have frequency-response
irregularities that involve their output impedances in
relation to the input impedance of the speakers.

Few "objectivists" would say that all amps sound the same
when driving oddball speaker loads, and few would say that
amps with high output impedances were flat responding into
any speaker load. However, they would say that into
reasonably normal loads decently designed amps should sound
the same up to clipping levels.

Howard Ferstler
Nousaine

(Lasse) wrote:

[...]

Lasse Ukkonen

Just out of interest what is the Finnish Skepsis Challenge? Why not the Sisu
challenge :-
Nousaine

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

On 26 Sep 2004 14:52:56 GMT,
(Lasse) wrote:

[...]

I'd make the conditions a little more specific. I've heard a demonstration at
an AES Convention where it was demonstrated that one could "hear" 100-feet of
30 ga wire wrap wire.

S888Wheel

From: (Nousaine)
Date: 9/26/2004 3:19 PM Pacific Standard Time

From:
(Nousaine)
Date: 9/24/2004 12:03 PM Pacific Standard Time

From:
(Nousaine)
Date: 9/23/2004 8:22 PM Pacific Standard Time
(S888Wheel)

Date: 9/21/2004 8:01 PM Pacific Standard Time
"If you can talk Randi into expanding the challenge to amplification

let

me
know. I doubt he would do it."

I wouldn't be so sure of that, if he isn't, there is another who has 10

thousand dollars motivation for the same goal for amps. I'm told many
have

tried and he still has it.

I doubt very much that the bet is that straight forward. If some one

wants
test my assertion that my Audio Research SP 10 and D-115 sound different
than
my old Yamaha reciever with Martin Logan CLs speakers and pay a million
dollars
or even ten thousand if I hear a difference under blind conditions I'll
happily
invite them over and find that old reciever.

I'll happily pay you a hundred dollars to 'prove ' what you claim to

hear.

What proof do you want?

All you have to do is show that you can hear those differences under blind
conditions.

I have already done that. You weren't satisfied. So, more specifically, what
proof would you want?

So you say. Others have claimed the same. Steve Zipser claimed he regularly
aced blind listening tests regarding amplifiers but when asked to do so under
verifiable conditions was unable to do so. Pardon me if I remain skeptical.

Pardon me if I point that you didn't answer the question. Are you serious about
your offer or are you just posturing? I cannot offer proof without knowing
precisely what you want in the way of it.
S888Wheel

From: Howard Ferstler
Date: 9/26/2004 3:23 PM Pacific Standard Time

Date: 9/21/2004 8:01 PM Pacific Standard Time
[...]

My assertion was and is that I heard a difference. One that I found meaningful.
I did not ascribe any explination for it just that I heard it. If Randi wants
to pay me to a million dollars to prove it or if some one else wants to pay me
10,000 dollars to prove it I will happily repeat my comparisons.
Tat Chan

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

OK, I'll bite. I hereby formally offer £10,000 to anyone who can
differentiate two cables under the usual level-matched DBT conditions.
Furthermore, I'll make it £100,000 as a bet.

You are probably posting this to the wrong NG.

I think most people who believe in cable sound, CD players/amps sounding
different, mains filters, digital stair steps, "which
resolution/sampling frequency best approaches analogue", CD
de-magnetizers, etc read Audio Asylum, AudioEnz and EchoLoft (to name
some Web forums I know of) instead of UseNet.

I assume "usual level-matched DBT conditions" include
- testing the frequency response of the provided cables (fed via a
signal generator and read on a CRO?) at selected frequencies
- playback via the system of the challenger's choice
- music selected by the challenger

would the challenger have to provide 2 separate cables, or will there be
a "reference" cable?

(I know, I should search the UseNet archives but ...)

Steven Sullivan

Tat Chan wrote:
Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

OK, I'll bite. I hereby formally offer ?10,000 to anyone who can
differentiate two cables under the usual level-matched DBT conditions.
Furthermore, I'll make it ?100,000 as a bet.

You are probably posting this to the wrong NG.

I think most people who believe in cable sound, CD players/amps sounding
different, mains filters, digital stair steps, "which
resolution/sampling frequency best approaches analogue", CD
de-magnetizers, etc read Audio Asylum, AudioEnz and EchoLoft (to name
some Web forums I know of) instead of UseNet.

Not to mention Stereophile and The Absolute Sound.

I wonder what would happen if the 'challenge' were to be
offered in the letter columns of *those* august journals?

--
-S
Your a boring little troll. How does it feel? Go blow your bad breath elsewhere.
Stewart Pinkerton

On 27 Sep 2004 13:58:52 GMT, Tat Chan
wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

OK, I'll bite. I hereby formally offer £10,000 to anyone who can
differentiate two cables under the usual level-matched DBT conditions.
Furthermore, I'll make it £100,000 as a bet.

You are probably posting this to the wrong NG.

I think most people who believe in cable sound, CD players/amps sounding
different, mains filters, digital stair steps, "which
resolution/sampling frequency best approaches analogue", CD
de-magnetizers, etc read Audio Asylum, AudioEnz and EchoLoft (to name
some Web forums I know of) instead of UseNet.

I assume "usual level-matched DBT conditions" include
- testing the frequency response of the provided cables (fed via a
signal generator and read on a CRO?) at selected frequencies

Yes, although I use a Fluke multimeter rather than a 'scope, and
usually feed from a test CD, although I do have a genny.

- playback via the system of the challenger's choice

Yes

- music selected by the challenger

Yes

would the challenger have to provide 2 separate cables, or will there be
a "reference" cable?

Either or

(I know, I should search the UseNet archives but ...)

Yes, you should! :-)

B&D

On 9/27/04 9:55 AM, in article , "Stewart
Pinkerton" wrote:

On 27 Sep 2004 03:21:59 GMT,
(Nousaine) wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton
wrote:

OK, I'll bite. I hereby formally offer £10,000 to anyone who can
differentiate two cables under the usual level-matched DBT conditions.
Furthermore, I'll make it £100,000 as a bet.

I'd make the conditions a little more specific. I've heard a demonstration at
an AES Convention where it was demonstrated that one could "hear" 100-feet of
30 ga wire wrap wire.

Sure, but level matching at 100, 1,000 and 10,000 Hz to +/- 0.1dB (the
standard pre-conditions) should remove the 'ringers' and leave only
the numerology and unobtainium contenders.

Sure - and it would remove the source of the differences as well. If
someone is trying to drive Martin Logan speakers that have a 1 Ohm impedance
(mostly reactive) at 20kHz - and one amp can drive it, and another can't
(either folds back, oscillates, rolls off the upper frequencies or whatever)
- there will be a noticeable difference - and the "challenge" will be
useless to someone in that situation that says that one amp is better than
another - because it is!

While I didn't have a problem exactly like it, I had a HT amp that wasn't
capable of driving my speakers - and an amp with more power did the trick -
and it sounds much better. I was able to "hear" the difference easily - but
I think the amplifiers themselves probably didn't have an inherent "sound"
though such a challenge that said that with no further education about
matching amp drive to speakers and other nuances of good system construction
is doing as big a disservice as the superstition surrounding these pieces of
equipment!!
Nousaine

From:
(Nousaine)
Date: 9/26/2004 3:19 PM Pacific Standard Time

From:
(Nousaine)
Date: 9/24/2004 12:03 PM Pacific Standard Time

From:
(Nousaine)
Date: 9/23/2004 8:22 PM Pacific Standard Time
(S888Wheel)

Date: 9/21/2004 8:01 PM Pacific Standard Time
[...]

OK the conditions a level matched at 100,1000 and 10,000 Hz. Blind
comparisons either cable swaps or ABX switched. 10 or more trials (9 of 10, 12
of 16, 15 of 20 correct to show proof.) You pick the programs. No time limits.
If you can identify the amplifiers under blind conditions I'll pay you $100. If
you fail you re-imburse half my travel cost. Alternately you can forward your
system to me. In that case If you can prove your case I'll pay for your travel
and shipping plus the $100.

Tat Chan

Steven Sullivan wrote:

Tat Chan wrote:

I think most people who believe in cable sound, CD players/amps sounding
different, mains filters, digital stair steps, "which
resolution/sampling frequency best approaches analogue", CD
de-magnetizers, etc read Audio Asylum, AudioEnz and EchoLoft (to name
some Web forums I know of) instead of UseNet.

Not to mention Stereophile and The Absolute Sound.

I wonder what would happen if the 'challenge' were to be
offered in the letter columns of *those* august journals?

An instant A-B comparison will probably be dismissed ... expect the
usual excuses like

"one has to listen to (or live with) the equipment for an extended
period of time to be able to make a better comparison. Various details
that were masked before hand can only be unveiled after a period of
time. Certain equipment will be less fatiguing to listen to for extended
periods of time. By making the comparison blind you will be putting
pressure on the listener".

Something like that anyway.
Stewart Pinkerton

On 28 Sep 2004 00:45:15 GMT, B&D wrote:

On 9/27/04 9:55 AM, in article , "Stewart
Pinkerton" wrote:

On 27 Sep 2004 03:21:59 GMT,
(Nousaine) wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton
wrote:

[...]

Please note that this is a *cable* challenge, although your pint is of
course quite correct, hence the pre-qualifier that amps are not driven
into clipping. That's one reason I hang onto my Krell - I *know* that
it doesn't care if it's driving a rusty nail!

Steven Sullivan

Tat Chan wrote:
Steven Sullivan wrote:

Tat Chan wrote:

[...]

Probably, but quick switching and short audition times are not
requirements of bias-controlled comparisons...they're optimizations
that are used to *improve* performance of A-B comparison.
If 'audiophiles' want to forego them, they're free to.

--
-S
Your a boring little troll. How does it feel? Go blow your bad breath elsewhere.

Bob Marcus

B&D wrote in message ...

I think the point that is being missed is simple - by removing sources of
differences (the appropriate amp to the appropriate speaker) the challenge
is both 100% correct, and 100% unhelpful and possibly will lead people into
incorrectly believing that any old amp is good for ANY speaker of any load.

IOW, we shouldn't tell people the truth because they might
misinterpret it.

As for unhelpful, that assumes that all audiophiles are as smart as
you. They aren't. The great unwashed who populate the Asylum and
Audiogon and read TAS like it's the Kamasutra do not see this as a
problem of finding an appropriate amp to drive a particular load. To
them, the challenge is to find an amp with sonic attributes that
complement the sonic attributes of their speakers, wall outlets, and
everything in between.

The challenge isn't aimed at engineers like you who know which
properties of an amplifier are important in driving a particular load.
It's aimed at the non-technical audiophiles who are sure that their
years of experience as a "listener" allow them to hear subtleties in
each component that engineers cannot measure and are too narrow-minded
even to admit the existence of. For them, taking such a challenge
would be most enlightening--which is why they'll never do it.

bob
S888Wheel

From: (Nousaine)
Date: 9/27/2004 9:00 PM Pacific Standard Time

From:
(Nousaine)
Date: 9/26/2004 3:19 PM Pacific Standard Time

From:
(Nousaine)
Date: 9/24/2004 12:03 PM Pacific Standard Time

From:
(Nousaine)
Date: 9/23/2004 8:22 PM Pacific Standard Time
(S888Wheel)

Date: 9/21/2004 8:01 PM Pacific Standard Time
[...]

I figured the offer was not straight up. It would cost at least 100 dollars to
get another Yamaha reciever like the one I had. That doesn't include the time
involved in tracking one down. I'll happily accept level matching at one
frequency but if you need to use an equalizer to match at several frequencies
you will no longer be testing my assertion that I heard a difference (no
equalizers were used in my comparisons). Travel expenses? So a condition of
this 100 dollar challenge is that you take a 500 dollar trip? C'mon. As for the
number of correct scores needed for a positive, I think the standard 95%
certainty should apply. Frankly I'd rather take the 10,000 dollar challenge
or...if some one can coax Randi into extending the million dollar challenge...
But let's face it, niether will challenge my assertion without fiddling with
the sound of the reciever. So, if some one really doubts I heard a difference
the challenge should simply be level matched (at one frequency) and double
blind with scientific standards for a positive. OTOH if you are ever in town
and have an old Yamaha reciever from their rack systems sold in the mid
eighties drop me an Email.
Mike Kozlowski

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

No one has ever suggested any such thing - and such basic load-driving
incapacity is *never* the source of claims regarding amplifier sound.

Maybe, but it's sometimes (often?) the source of purchasing. I
upgraded my amp from a (35wpc) NAD 314 to a (200-something wpc)
Parasound HCA-1500 pretty much entirely because I wanted to make sure
I got something that could drive whatever speakers I ended up buying.
(Also because it looked nicer, but shh, aesthetics are a "WAF"
consideration; people who are interested in music are obviously
uninterested in all forms of beauty and elegance.)

Talk about how all quality amps sound basically the same have the
implication that this was a totally lame and stupid move, and there'd
be no problem at all driving a pair of Martin Logan speakers off that
NAD, never be able to tell a difference. (Note: This may actually be
true, but am I going to take the chance of blowing a tweeter because I
can't do amplifer power to decibel level conversions when taking into
account speaker resistance and sensitivity levels? I am not.)

I'm pretty sure you're talking to people who buy Krell or Linn or
whatever the hell the big expensive amps are; but since you're often
following on cable conversations, which explicitly state that anything
more than Radio Shack 12 gauge is a waste of money, the effect of your
anti-amp-difference talk is to make it sound like a $299 Sony receiver
should be good enough for anyone.

--
Mike Kozlowski
http://www.klio.org/mlk/
Nousaine

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

On 28 Sep 2004 00:45:15 GMT, B&D wrote:

On 9/27/04 9:55 AM, in article
, "Stewart
Pinkerton" wrote:

On 27 Sep 2004 03:21:59 GMT,
(Nousaine) wrote:
=20
Stewart Pinkerton
wrote:
=20
OK, I'll bite. I hereby formally offer =A310,000 to anyone who can
differentiate two cables under the usual level-matched DBT conditio=

ns.
Furthermore, I'll make it =A3100,000 as a bet.
=20
[...]

--=20

No fair pirating my Rusty-Nail challenge. But quite frankly level matchin=
fully satisfies the 'clipping' issue in all but the most extreme case. In=
the
SMWTMS experiments experimenters had to compare a 10-watt tube amplifier =
vs a
400-watt solid state to get a "positive sound difference result." Even in=
that
case the output impedance may have influenced the results disqualifying t=
hem at
3-point level matching.=20

It's a good point but clipping is often over-stated as a condition, in my
opinion.=20

Nousaine

From:
(Nousaine)
Date: 9/27/2004 9:00 PM Pacific Standard Time

From:
(Nousaine)
Date: 9/26/2004 3:19 PM Pacific Standard Time

From:
(Nousaine)
Date: 9/24/2004 12:03 PM Pacific Standard Time

From:
(Nousaine)
Date: 9/23/2004 8:22 PM Pacific Standard Time
(S888Wheel)

Date: 9/21/2004 8:01 PM Pacific Standard Time
[...]

So your challenge is posited on someone else producing the "product" you don't
own?

[...]

Not straight-up? Nowhere in your original offer was it mentioned that you no
longer have the product you said had a different sound.

I'll happily accept level matching at one
frequency but if you need to use an equalizer to match at several frequencies
you will no longer be testing my assertion that I heard a difference (no
equalizers were used in my comparisons).

OK how about full band pink noise? But even so IF I could duplicate the "sound"
of your device with a garden variety equalizer what does that say about your
prefered amplifier?

Travel expenses? So a condition of
this 100 dollar challenge is that you take a 500 dollar trip? C'mon.

Not a problem. All you have to do is prove your case and there is no cost to
you. And you get your hundred bucks.

As for
the
number of correct scores needed for a positive, I think the standard 95%
certainty should apply.

Those are the scores I posted. 95% which are 9 of 10; 12 of 16; 15 of 20.
2-tailed.

Frankly I'd rather take the 10,000 dollar challenge
or...if some one can coax Randi into extending the million dollar
challenge...

So get to it. You've already admitted that you no longer have access to the
device you claimed sounded 'different.'

"Frankly" I'd say you aren't interested in showing that you can 'hear'
amplifiers.

But let's face it, niether will challenge my assertion without fiddling with
the sound of the reciever. So, if some one really doubts I heard a difference
the challenge should simply be level matched (at one frequency) and double
blind with scientific standards for a positive.

OK; but how are you going to prove your claims with a device you no longer
have? This is the nexus of the high-end argument; just come over here AND I'll
show you that I can "hear" the differences between these 2 amplifiers.

Then we find that you no longer have one of them. Then we are limited to level
match frequencies. Then NO equalizers are allowed (even IF they are ONLY
inserted in the comparative unit signal chain) and one is left to wonder why
the elongation of the signal path with an equalizer wouldn't necessarily REDUCE
the transparency of the original signal chain and be immediately recognizable
by an experienced high-end listener.

OTOH if you are ever in town
and have an old Yamaha reciever from their rack systems sold in the mid
eighties drop me an Email.

So this is your response? So you can't prove your original case because you no
longer have the device you were basing the challenge on? That I have to supply
both the device and spend $300 on a plane ticket plus bringing all my own
equipment; and then if you 'fail' I'm left with all the expense of the
experiment.

I've taken that challenge before. Do you wnat to know what happens? I've
traveled to Maine at my own expense on a challenge from a wire company that if
I 'came' to their facility they'd "show me" differences.

When I got there (arrival announced weeks in advance) they refused to conduct
the experiment claiming they never said they'd do so (even thought the
challenge had been confirmed in letter-form.)

On another occasion I paid my own expenses to proctor a blind experiment on
power amplifiers between an audiophile and a store owner in Florida. The owner
was unable to prove he was able to differentiate his $12k monoblocks from a
used Yamaha integrated amplifier under different conditions (switched, cable
swaps) using his personal reference systems in his reference room.

So what next? This was your challenge. You've accused me of being disengenous

my old Yamaha reciever with Martin Logan CLs speakers and pay a
million
dollars
or even ten thousand if I hear a difference under blind conditions

I'll
happily
invite them over and find that old reciever.

so exactly what is genuine about your challenge? You now say that you don't
even still have it. How can you make a challenge so transparent that it's
remotely likely that you'll ever find a challenger?
Stewart Pinkerton

On 29 Sep 2004 02:40:50 GMT, Mike Kozlowski wrote:

In article ,
Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

No one has ever suggested any such thing - and such basic load-driving
incapacity is *never* the source of claims regarding amplifier sound.

Maybe, but it's sometimes (often?) the source of purchasing.

As it should be.

upgraded my amp from a (35wpc) NAD 314 to a (200-something wpc)
Parasound HCA-1500 pretty much entirely because I wanted to make sure
I got something that could drive whatever speakers I ended up buying.
(Also because it looked nicer, but shh, aesthetics are a "WAF"
consideration; people who are interested in music are obviously
uninterested in all forms of beauty and elegance.)

Talk about how all quality amps sound basically the same

Note that the qualifier 'below clipping' is invariably used when this
statement is made. Hence, an appropriate power output for your
requirements is a given. No one has ever suggested that an original
10-watt Linsley-Hood amp is ideal for driving ATC SCM 10s!

have the
implication that this was a totally lame and stupid move, and there'd
be no problem at all driving a pair of Martin Logan speakers off that
NAD, never be able to tell a difference. (Note: This may actually be
true, but am I going to take the chance of blowing a tweeter because I
can't do amplifer power to decibel level conversions when taking into
account speaker resistance and sensitivity levels? I am not.)

Lucky then that no one has ever suggested that this would be the case.

I'm pretty sure you're talking to people who buy Krell or Linn or
whatever the hell the big expensive amps are; but since you're often
following on cable conversations, which explicitly state that anything
more than Radio Shack 12 gauge is a waste of money,

That certainly *is* correct for 99.999% of domestic audio systems.

the effect of your
anti-amp-difference talk is to make it sound like a $299 Sony receiver
should be good enough for anyone.

Not if you actually *read* what's written, it's not. Is a Krell FPB300
better sounding than a Yamaha P4500? Possibly, probably not, but
either is capable of driving pretty much any speaker you're likely to
own. Oh, and the Krell costs $9,000, the Yamaha $700.........

Howard Ferstler

Nousaine wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

Please note that this is a *cable* challenge, although your point is of
course quite correct, hence the pre-qualifier that amps are not driven
into clipping. That's one reason I hang onto my Krell - I *know* that
it doesn't care if it's driving a rusty nail!

No fair pirating my Rusty-Nail challenge. But quite frankly level matching
fully satisfies the 'clipping' issue in all but the most extreme case. In the
SMWTMS experiments experimenters had to compare a 10-watt tube amplifier vs a
400-watt solid state to get a "positive sound difference result." Even in that
case the output impedance may have influenced the results disqualifying them at
3-point level matching.

It's a good point but clipping is often over-stated as a condition, in my
opinion.

I agree. I just did some comparing with two amps that were
each only modestly powerful. I drove one to the point where
its peak-level lights were just flickering. (The other, much
lower-priced amp had no such indicators, but was rated at
about the same power input to the speaker load.) Both amps
still sounded the same, but this was at levels where the
sound output was really uncomfortable - especially to one of
my cats, who literally ran out of the room. At more modest
levels, where I could listen to the music without feeling
uncomfortable, the amps continued to sound the same.

Howard Ferstler

S888Wheel

From: (Nousaine)
Date: 9/29/2004 4:51 PM Pacific Standard Time

From:
(Nousaine)
Date: 9/27/2004 9:00 PM Pacific Standard Time

From:
(Nousaine)
Date: 9/26/2004 3:19 PM Pacific Standard Time

From:
(Nousaine)
Date: 9/24/2004 12:03 PM Pacific Standard Time

From:
(Nousaine)
Date: 9/23/2004 8:22 PM Pacific Standard Time
(S888Wheel)

Date: 9/21/2004 8:01 PM Pacific Standard Time
[...]

What challenge? I offered a casual invitation should you be in town and have
access to the "product" or one like it.

[...]

For a million dollars or even ten thousand dollars I would happily track it
down or find another one just like it.

I'll happily accept level matching at one
frequency but if you need to use an equalizer to match at several

frequencies
you will no longer be testing my assertion that I heard a difference (no
equalizers were used in my comparisons).

OK how about full band pink noise? But even so IF I could duplicate the
"sound"
of your device with a garden variety equalizer what does that say about your
prefered amplifier?

It would say that the only difference was frequency response. I don't *know*
that that isn't the case. I never tried to get the reciever to sound like the
Audio Research gear with an equalizer. But you expressed your skeptism about me
hearing a difference without the use of EQ.

Travel expenses? So a condition of
this 100 dollar challenge is that you take a 500 dollar trip? C'mon.

Not a problem. All you have to do is prove your case and there is no cost to
you. And you get your hundred bucks.

Still not worth the time and effort. Anyone want to run this one by Randi?

As for
the
number of correct scores needed for a positive, I think the standard 95%
certainty should apply.

Those are the scores I posted. 95% which are 9 of 10; 12 of 16; 15 of 20.
2-tailed.

Frankly I'd rather take the 10,000 dollar challenge
or...if some one can coax Randi into extending the million dollar
challenge...

So get to it. You've already admitted that you no longer have access to the
device you claimed sounded 'different.'

So far the only one offering a challenge to me is you. I am far to busy a
person to "get to it" for a hundred bucks.

"Frankly" I'd say you aren't interested in showing that you can 'hear'
amplifiers.

Frankly you are right. I'm not interested in proving things like this to you.
OTOH for 10K or better yet a million bucks my interest levels go way up.
Frankly, I don't think those challenges will be offered to me. just yours.

But let's face it, niether will challenge my assertion without fiddling with
the sound of the reciever. So, if some one really doubts I heard a

difference
the challenge should simply be level matched (at one frequency) and double
blind with scientific standards for a positive.

OK; but how are you going to prove your claims with a device you no longer
have?

I would have to track it down or get another one. Not that big a deal but 100
bucks isn't going to cut it.

This is the nexus of the high-end argument; just come over here AND
I'll
show you that I can "hear" the differences between these 2 amplifiers.

Yeah whatever.

Then we find that you no longer have one of them.

I had no reason to keep it.

Then we are limited to
level
match frequencies. Then NO equalizers are allowed (even IF they are ONLY
inserted in the comparative unit signal chain) and one is left to wonder why
the elongation of the signal path with an equalizer wouldn't necessarily
REDUCE
the transparency of the original signal chain and be immediately recognizable
by an experienced high-end listener.

Hey, you are the one who challenged *my* assertion. If you are having second
thoughts fine but my assertion involved an EQ free comparison. If I imagined a
difference then you wouldn't need any EQ to show that would you?

OTOH if you are ever in town
and have an old Yamaha reciever from their rack systems sold in the mid
eighties drop me an Email.

So this is your response?

Yes.

So you can't prove your original case because you
no
longer have the device you were basing the challenge on?

I could. But not for a hundred bucks. It's not like it was a one of a kind
unit.

That I have to
supply
both the device and spend $300 on a plane ticket plus bringing all my own
equipment; and then if you 'fail' I'm left with all the expense of the
experiment.

Noooooo. I said if you happen to be in town and happen to have this unit or
something like it you are welcome to come on over. You don't *have* to do
anything. I don't expect you to spend any money. I'm sorry you didn't see the
difference between your challenge and my invitation.

I've taken that challenge before.

There was no challenge so it wouldn't be possible.

Do you wnat to know what happens? I've
traveled to Maine at my own expense on a challenge from a wire company that
if
I 'came' to their facility they'd "show me" differences.

When I got there (arrival announced weeks in advance) they refused to conduct
the experiment claiming they never said they'd do so (even thought the
challenge had been confirmed in letter-form.)

Either keep it casual. Like I tried to do with my invite or make the stakes
worth my while.

On another occasion I paid my own expenses to proctor a blind experiment on
power amplifiers between an audiophile and a store owner in Florida. The
owner
was unable to prove he was able to differentiate his $12k monoblocks from a
used Yamaha integrated amplifier under different conditions (switched, cable
swaps) using his personal reference systems in his reference room.

So what next? This was your challenge.

There was no challenge.

You've accused me of being disengenous

No. I think your hundred dollar offer is genuine. I think your desire to use EQ
would have made your challenge disengenuous since none was used originally, but
you have waved that so I find your offer quite genuine, just not very
interesting.

my old Yamaha reciever with Martin Logan CLs speakers and pay a
million
dollars
or even ten thousand if I hear a difference under blind conditions
I'll
happily
invite them over and find that old reciever.

so exactly what is genuine about your challenge?

There is no challenge. OTOH if Randi or the other fellow who is offering 10K
would like to extend their challenges to my specific assertion I will find that
old reciever or one just like it and take them up.

You now say that you don't
even still have it. How can you make a challenge so transparent that it's
remotely likely that you'll ever find a challenger?

*I* haven't issued any challenges. You challenged my assertion that I heard a
difference. How did that obligate me to keep that old reciever all those many
years ago? I am not psychic.

Howard Ferstler

From: Howard Ferstler
Date: 9/26/2004 3:23 PM Pacific Standard Time

Date: 9/21/2004 8:01 PM Pacific Standard Time
[...]

And that is all well and good. The problem is that if you
knew which amp was playing at any given time (I came into
this discussion too late to know if the comparison was both
blind and properly level matched), your ability to
objectively decide on sound quality was compromised.

I see that Nousaine has offered you a challenge about
comparing amps, DBT style and carefully level matched with
each channel. I think you might benefit greatly if you took
him up on it. If you do, he will use a DBT device that will
make it impossible for you to pre-assign a winning score to
either amp. I see that a bet was involved, but I think the
challenge would best be done without a bet, and should
simply involved a desire to see what you can or cannot hear.

I did not ascribe any explination for it just that I heard it.

I just did a series of non-blind (but still carefully level
matched) comparisons between a good AV receiver's stereo amp
section and a $3000+ amp I am reviewing for a magazine
report. As best I can tell, they sounded identical with
musical source material. Needless to say, I intend to do
some additional comparing before doing a completed review
report.

Interestingly, depending on when I was switching there were
times when one unit seemed to sound better than the other.
The musical segment and when I switched was the determining
factor in each case, however, since I could make whatever
amp I wanted to sound best sound that way by switching at
just the right time during the musical presentation. (Some
hi-fi salesmen have this trick down pat.) I also used pink
noise to level match each of the four channels (two with
each amp) and when I got through each sounded absolutely
identical. This certainly shows that whatever differences
there might have been with music, their audible frequency

If Randi wants
to pay me to a million dollars to prove it or if some one else wants to pay me
10,000 dollars to prove it I will happily repeat my comparisons.

There is always a chance that a person would guess
correctly. This makes super-duper money bets a chancy thing,
unless a large number of trials were done. Also, the amps
(both of them) would have to be bench checked prior to the
comparison, just to make sure that both were working
properly. Heck, it might just be that the more upscale amp
had problems related to frequency response or even had been
designed to sound a bit different from neutral.

I think that Randi's world view does not involve proving
that decent amps are or are not identical sounding. What he
is interested in are situations where individuals
non-critically mystify real-world phenomenon and assign a
cause that involves some kind of underlying noumena that
cannot be measured or quantified.

Kant did this with God (and spent a lot of time writing
about it), and many audio buffs try to do the same thing
with subjective impressions of audio-system behavior.

Howard Ferstler
Nousaine

(Buster Mudd) wrote:

(Nousaine) wrote in message
In
the
SMWTMS experiments experimenters had to compare a 10-watt tube amplifier
vs a
400-watt solid state to get a "positive sound difference result." Even in
that
case the output impedance may have influenced the results disqualifying t
hem at
3-point level matching.

It's a good point but clipping is often over-stated as a condition, in my
opinion.

The fact is that some amplifiers go into clipping in the course of
their day-to-day operation. It's not desireable, & it's (probably) not
intentional on the part of the designers...but to disqualify an amp
from the Positive Sound Difference Challenge because it went into
clipping is just a self-serving way of keeping your $10,000. Amps
clip. Some more than others. Proclaiming that any amp that clips
during its quote-unquote normal operation isn't a Competant amp is
also self-serving.

For that matter, the 3-point level matching caveat strikes me as a
self-serving criteria for these challenges as well. I've elaborated in
cables, interconnects, or amps in these Can You Really Hear It?
challenges would be either A) at a single frequency (nominally 1kHz)
or B) as the summed level over the full audio bandwidth. Anything else
is just acknowledging that there may actually be frequency response
aberrations that may actually be audible.

Well IF there are frequency response variations that exceed the threshold of
audibility they will be completely apparent from a wideband frequency response
measurement. But the level-match challenge is just a simply way to sort out the
obviously incompetent beforehand without having to fully test the device.

Besides what's self-serving about finding out if a given amplifier or cable is
incapable of delivering the same signal to a loudspeaker terminals that was
introduced at the input (other than gain?)
normanstrong

"Buster Mudd" wrote in message

The fact is that some amplifiers go into clipping in the course of
their day-to-day operation. It's not desireable, & it's (probably)

not
intentional on the part of the designers...but to disqualify an amp
from the Positive Sound Difference Challenge because it went into
clipping is just a self-serving way of keeping your $10,000. Amps
clip. Some more than others. Proclaiming that any amp that clips
during its quote-unquote normal operation isn't a Competant amp is
also self-serving.

Surely you don't believe that clipping is part of normal day-to-day
operation of a high-end system.
You don't, do you?

Norm Strong
S888Wheel

From: Howard Ferstler
Date: 9/29/2004 8:34 PM Pacific Standard Time

From: Howard Ferstler

Date: 9/26/2004 3:23 PM Pacific Standard Time

Date: 9/21/2004 8:01 PM Pacific Standard Time
[...]

And that is all well and good.

Not everyone agrees. Tom seems to think I did not hear a real difference. Some
people think that if I prove I heard a real difference I might collect 10,000
dollars or better yet amillion dollars. I have not heard from the parties that
are offering 10K or a million so far. I do have a 100 dollar offer from Tom
though.

The problem is that if you
knew which amp was playing at any given time (I came into
this discussion too late to know if the comparison was both
blind and properly level matched), your ability to
objectively decide on sound quality was compromised.

The comparisons were all blind.

I see that Nousaine has offered you a challenge about
comparing amps, DBT style and carefully level matched with
each channel. I think you might benefit greatly if you took
him up on it. If you do, he will use a DBT device that will
make it impossible for you to pre-assign a winning score to
either amp. I see that a bet was involved, but I think the
challenge would best be done without a bet, and should
simply involved a desire to see what you can or cannot hear.

If I had ther old reciever I would happily take him up on his offer. As it
stands, it isn't worth 100 dollars to track it down or get another one like it.
My *invitation* to Tom, should he ever happen to be in town stands.

[...]

This is a chance Randi faces with his challenge regarless of that which is
being challenged. My skepticism about Randi extending his challenge to
amplification is based on my belief that he doesn't see my claim or similar
claims as so outrageous.

unless a large number of trials were done. Also, the amps
(both of them) would have to be bench checked prior to the
comparison, just to make sure that both were working
properly. Heck, it might just be that the more upscale amp
had problems related to frequency response or even had been
designed to sound a bit different from neutral.

My amp has been "bench tested" it is working quite well now and was working
quite well when I originally did those comparisons.

I think that Randi's world view does not involve proving
that decent amps are or are not identical sounding.

I agree that Randi is not likely interested in amp sound or the contraversy
around it. He seems to have carefully picked fringe tweaks as his target. That
is fine with me. Heck, I had some one come over years ago with a bunch of Peter
Belt tweaks. I tried them in sighted tests and couldn't hear a difference. It
does not surprise me that Randi would challenge Belt tweaks at all. I think the
million dollars is quite safe.

What he
is interested in are situations where individuals
non-critically mystify real-world phenomenon and assign a
cause that involves some kind of underlying noumena that
cannot be measured or quantified.

Kant did this with God (and spent a lot of time writing
about it), and many audio buffs try to do the same thing
with subjective impressions of audio-system behavior.

Howard Ferstler

Howard Ferstler

Buster Mudd wrote:

(Nousaine) wrote in message ...
[...]

I have checked out some amps that clipped at maybe 100 wpc,
and let me tell you that with most speakers that was really
quite loud, and certainly louder than what I hear at live
performances. Any amp with that kind of capability with a
normal pair of speakers located in a normal-sized room will
probably never clip unless the operator is showing off.

I would say that typical maps do not clip to an audible
degree when playing normal program sources at normal levels,
even fairly loud normal levels.

For that matter, the 3-point level matching caveat strikes me as a
self-serving criteria for these challenges as well. I've elaborated in
cables, interconnects, or amps in these Can You Really Hear It?
challenges would be either A) at a single frequency (nominally 1kHz)
or B) as the summed level over the full audio bandwidth.

The best way to level match components by ear is to use pink
noise, and do each channel individually. (Global level
matching with both channels playing will not guarantee the
elimination of soundstaging differences if the two amps are
not absolutely equal in output with each channel.) I have
done this with amps to the extent that when the switchover
was done no audible differences could be heard. This tells
me that the amps were (1) more than decently well level
matched for future musical comparing, and also told me that
(2) their frequency responses were probably very close, at
least over the frequencies I can hear.

Howard Ferstler
Steven Sullivan

Nousaine wrote:
(Buster Mudd) wrote:

(Nousaine) wrote in message
[...]

And let's keep in mind: behind nearly every amplifier or cable review in
TAS or other high end journal (not to mention many non-high-end
jnournals) is the assumption that darn near every amp sounds different if
you have the right ears and equipment and source material to reveal it.

So, either a *great* many amps have audible frequency response variations
from each other during normal use... or a great many amp reviews are
founded on dubious premises.

--
-S
Your a boring little troll. How does it feel? Go blow your bad breath elsewhere.
Buster Mudd

(Nousaine) wrote in message ...
(Buster Mudd) wrote:

(Nousaine) wrote in message
[...]

Because it shows that the folks making & funding these Challenges
aren't really interested in challenging whether or not someone can
hear the difference between two different power amps, or two different
sets of cables.