Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] abrtlt@yahoo.com is offline

Default radio/infrared headphones limited to specific area/range

I am looking for wireless headphones to set up a system to listen
different audio channels while moving in a studio/hall. The headphones
would pick up a different audio channel in different areas of the hall,
just by walking from one area to the other. I think this would be
possible by using low power radio transmission with antennas on the
ceiling above the specific areas. Interference from one area to
another should be limited to a minimum, hence the low power requirement
and/or use of directional transmission such as microwaves/infrared. A
directional transmission would however probably cause reflections from
the walls, floor and objects and hence interference in adjacent areas.
Maybe a standard product would do, if featuring an adjustable
transmitter gain I could turn down to decrease the range to, say 10 ft
(3 m). I could design and build my own devices, but miniaturization
would be a problem.
I'd be grateful for advice on suitable commercial products as those
most readily available are designed to have as wide a range as
possible, with 900 MHz devices advertised as even operating thru
separation walls, which is quite the opposite to what I'm looking for.
Thanks!

Andrew

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
[...]

You don't want radio at all, you want infrared line of sight systems.
Look at the Sennheiser models intended for museums.