Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
noctilux

Default Setting Bias & EQ for Fulltrack... suggestions?

Having a KEEN sense of irony (since tape is no longer effectively being
manufactured), I've decided to bite the bullet and get back into it.
I've been doing a bit of research - and being something of a DIYer I am
also determined to learn to set bias and eq myself - though I'm not
really settled on a stock yet (that'll be determined by whatever I can
get a few score rolls of) - but I'm thinking 468 or 900. At any rate, I
have two Studer A810s and a PR99. I want to set up all machines with
nearly the same "electromagnetic profile" (meaning I want the tape to
perform as closely as possible on all of them. All the machines have
fulltrack headstacks, with the exception of one of the 810s - which I
can convert to halftrack.

So. My question is this... it seems to me fairly likely that a
fulltrack record head might take advantage of a given tape in slightly
different ways than a halftrack one would. I'm assuming that many of
the specs that manufacturers provide to consumers of tape are based on
halfrack performance (crosstalk, etc...). What, if anything, might I
consider messing around with under these circumstances (hotter levels?
higher flux?). Any ideas?
Thanks to anyone who'd care to take a stab at this!
Jonathan